emgx123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m currently 17 years old and going to sit my A levels in a few months. What can I do to gain some experience in the field of law? If you say volunteering, shadowing etc. can you please name firms which would accept me regarding my age and experience as I have very limited knowledge towards this. I would like to work in the Magic Circle when I am older and have graduated from University, but does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to put myself out there at this age to make myself more attractive and appealing to these law firms. My predicted grades are A*AA and I’ve received all A’s and A*’s in my GCSE’s, thus I am average academically for a typical law student, but what can I do to ensure that these top law firms in London and the Magic Circle hire me as a trainee while I am at university?
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emgx123)
So I’m currently 17 years old and going to sit my A levels in a few months. What can I do to gain some experience in the field of law? If you say volunteering, shadowing etc. can you please name firms which would accept me regarding my age and experience as I have very limited knowledge towards this. I would like to work in the Magic Circle when I am older and have graduated from University, but does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to put myself out there at this age to make myself more attractive and appealing to these law firms. My predicted grades are A*AA and I’ve received all A’s and A*’s in my GCSE’s, thus I am average academically for a typical law student, but what can I do to ensure that these top law firms in London and the Magic Circle hire me as a trainee while I am at university?
You're above average for a law student. You're average for a law student at a decent uni for law (assuming you end up meeting or getting something close to your predictions).
Your best chances for a structured work experience scheme is to apply for a social mobility/diversity scheme organised/run by the likes of SEO, PRIME, Aspiring Solicitors, etc. I suspect that the deadline for these is coming up or has passed. Other than that? Contacts and cold calling/emailing local firms for w/e. That's the world we live in.
You don't need to do anything incredible right now. Get the best possible A-levels. Do something interesting extra-curricular wise, so that you have something to put on your applications for first year schemes. Use family/friends to get work experience in any office environment (professional services are a plus). That's about all you can do.

And this bizarre TSR obsession with Magic Circle firms really needs to end.
sm1611
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im thinking of applying:
1. Uni of Bristol
2. Uni of Notts
3. Uni of Leeds
4. Uni of Exeter
5. And i cant decide between Uni of manchster or Uni of Liverpool

Guys are these good unis for what i wanna do and could you please help decide choice 5 for me or maybe other uni's instead of those 2
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sm1611)
im thinking of applying:
1. Uni of Bristol
2. Uni of Notts
3. Uni of Leeds
4. Uni of Exeter

Guys are these good unis for what i wanna do and could you please help decide choice 5 for me or maybe other uni's instead of those 2
Make a new thread
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sm1611)
im thinking of applying:
1. Uni of Bristol
2. Uni of Notts
3. Uni of Leeds
4. Uni of Exeter

You're new to TSR so I guess you don't know but it is better to start your own new discussion as emgx123 will not appreciate this one going off topic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (136)
52.31%
No (124)
47.69%

Watched Threads