Do you think that it is better for me to do biology or biomedical sciences at uni? Watch

Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I might enjoy: nueroscience,Psychology,anatomy, phisiology,evolution and possibly pharmocology. Im in year 12 and I LOVE biological molecules (lipids, proteins, carbohydrates) and how organisms (fish,humans,insects) exchange substances (eg.gasses) with their environment

However, I HATE: Microbiology (study of bacteria,viruses and fungi ect.), immunology (study of immunity(eg.phagocytosis,lymphoc ytes ect)) and cells and its functions.

But I mainly dislike studying the immune system.

If you dont think I should study biology or biomedical sciences, then what do you think I should do?
aw03
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
I might enjoy: nueroscience,Psychology,anatomy, phisiology,evolution and possibly pharmocology. Im in year 12 and I LOVE biological molecules (lipids, proteins, carbohydrates) and how organisms (fish,humans,insects) exchange substances (eg.gasses) with their environment

However, I HATE: Microbiology (study of bacteria,viruses and fungi ect.), immunology (study of immunity(eg.phagocytosis,lymphoc ytes ect)) and cells and its functions.

If you dont think I should study biology or biomedical sciences, then what do you think I should do?
biomedical science really focuses around disease treatment and diagnosis which strongly ties in with the immune system so i think you would dislike that. also you usually do some microbiology and immunology in biomed which you said you hate.

perhaps look into a biological sciences or biochemistry degree since you said you enjoy biological molecules however i am not sure it includes exchange surfaces so maybe look into different universities, read their course content and see which one best suits you.

hope i helped!
MiracleLeaf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd say biological sciences would be really good for you! It's a good mix of plant and human science, lots of biological molecules and stuff about organisms
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)

It's not really realistic to think you can pick and choose so finely between subjects, particularly at degree level. Everyone has subjects in a wider programme which they don't much like, but that's part and parcel of it. Microbiology and immunology are core parts of any decent biology or biomedical course because it's underpinning knowledge.
Jehaan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So it really depends on the uni you want to go to. There are so many courses with the title biology but are completely different. I actually do biochem at Kings and really I do no chemistry in my degree. Really at this point, my degree is basically endocrinology (hormones). I have not had a single immunology lecture since the basics in first year which was 2 lectures. I really love it at Kings as the flexibility for modules is so good! You can take modules from neuroscience to pharmacology to anatomy. But really you need to look at the modules for each course. Good luck!
asdfghjklgyu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jehaan)
So it really depends on the uni you want to go to. There are so many courses with the title biology but are completely different. I actually do biochem at Kings and really I do no chemistry in my degree. Really at this point, my degree is basically endocrinology (hormones). I have not had a single immunology lecture since the basics in first year which was 2 lectures. I really love it at Kings as the flexibility for modules is so good! You can take modules from neuroscience to pharmacology to anatomy. But really you need to look at the modules for each course. Good luck!
I absolutely agree. "biology" from what i have seen my other friends study at their university really differs. I am a student at manchester university doing an MSci in Biochemistry (third year), and in comparison we 7-8 courses in chemistry throughout the degree. My degree is also a lot more flexible than other Biochemistry degrees. Even up to third year, I still had a wide range of freedom of courses I could pick, some of them closely related to biochemistry, some of them less so (e.g. Pharmacology, I opted in for every optional Pharmacology course I could). You can have plenty of opportunities to study your favourite subjects in a more well rounded degree with plenty of optional choice units.

When you said you loved biological molecules I thought Biochemistry would really excite you. However, I think its also important to realise that your undergraduate degree doesn't necessarily tie you down to what you will have to do for the rest of your science career.

From the courses I have taken so far:
Anatomy: I found the anatomy very boring in my anatomy and physiology first year unit, its a lot of memorise and learn. However, human physiology was interesting. I found human physiology the most like my A-level biology course, there weren't too many new difficult things to get my head around, just often the same concepts but in much more depth.

Evolution: My first year evolution lectures were soooo interesting, but at the same time difficult for me to revise. Its a very story-like narrative, which makes it difficult for me to memorise.

Pharmacology: Is realllyy good. I found learning about clinical trials and drug development really interesting. The only thing about pharmacology is that you have to not be afraid of maths. There are some complicated mathematics in the binding of drugs and their effects etc. And also some odd concepts, which take time to come around to. It didn't put me off, but it was definitely a hurdle at first. Also, I think the people who started on a Pharmacolgoy degree, rather than a more broad biological science degree, has much less choice options. They couldn't pick their practicals with as much freedom, they had a dedicated labs module only for them. So be sure if you were to go for pharmacology, that you're 100%.

The other things you said you liked I haven't chosen to do (but I could have, in my first year). I agree with immunology, its really complex to learn too. Microbiology was my first year optional, I found it changed my perception of everything, but we will agree to disagree haha

I remember being in a similar position in year 12. I just knew i liked biology (and chemistry) and that was it. What drew me to manchester, and biochemistry, was the freedom of being able to change degree programme up until year 2. Some subjects you don't come across at all in a level (like pharmacology etc) and you just won't know until you try it and see if you like it. Pick it as an optional unit, then if before the end of year 2 you realise you only liked doing units from a specific area of science, then you could switch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
8.4%
They've been reasonable (41)
34.45%
Not feeling great... (36)
30.25%
They are TERRIBLE! (32)