The Student Room Group

What's your degree and what do you do now - only for graduates

Simple thread, just want to see how people are doing generally in terms of what degree people chose to do and what they are now. For example, if you finished your physchology degree 2,3 years ago, are you training to become a physichaitrist or are you unemployed. Similarly, after finishing a degree, are you doing a 2nd degree?

So without spamming, just write your degree and what you do. For example,
Computer science - now working for a firm

I think this thread will give a good insight into opportunities available for various degrees.

Scroll to see replies

(good idea to put a poll - and try doing it by subject aswell)
Going to uni to study economics :smile:.
Reply 3
no no, this is for graduates only as in people who have finished the degree!
Reply 4
Well, my degree's in Fine Art and I work with young people assisting them with accommodation/welfare issues, and also do some work as a Play Ranger (providing play opportunities to encourage children to make use of outdoor spaces).
History degree - took a 'late gap year', in which I spent a few months working in publishing (but I did a lot of student journalism/internships etc.), and then the rest of the year working in recruitment :frown: because I needed to save up some money. Now I'm finishing off my Masters.
Reply 6
Software Engineering, will start looking for jobs in the sector on monday :smile:
Graduated in history, but my last two jobs involved working with elderly people and those with learning disabilities, but this is because I want to return to uni to study a healthcare course.
Reply 8
I think this thread will give a good insight into opportunities available for various degrees.

Not really. May misguide people. Statistics is a funny thing.
Reply 9
Persipan
Well, my degree's in Fine Art and I work with young people assisting them with accommodation/welfare issues, and also do some work as a Play Ranger (providing play opportunities to encourage children to make use of outdoor spaces).

interesting but isn't fine art to do with art?
Reply 10
member9876
interesting but isn't fine art to do with art?

Hey, since when was life logical?
Reply 11
member9876
For example, if you finished your physchology degree 2,3 years ago, are you training to become a physichaitrist or are you unemployed.

You can't become a psychiatrist with a psychology degree

member9876

No it won't
Reply 12
Lolly-88

No it won't

why won't it?

Look at the fine art example. Well what can you do with a psychology degree then?
I have a chemistry degree and a PhD in physical chemistry. I currently work as a postdoc in a physics department but I'm shortly moving into the energy industry.
Lolly-88

Well, you can, but you have to do accelerated graduate medicine first. So to be pedantic, it would be perfectly possible to be training to become a psychiatrist after a psychology BSc, but it would take longer than three years. :p:

I know you do psychology so I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs, but I just thought I'd mention it!
Lolly-88

Well, you can become a psychologist.
Reply 16
member9876
why won't it?

Because the jobs people do reflect what they have chosen to do or what was available to them personally, not what opportunites are available to people with those degrees. I could become a sheep farmer after my degree but doesn't necessarily mean that my degree lead me there and thus other psychology graduates can do the same. It could be because my dad's a sheep farmer and I come from a long line of sheep farmers.

Therefore all this thread is going to show is what people on TSR chose to do and what options were available to them personally not necessarily other people who did the same degree. The opportunities you have depend on what you know, who you know and possibly where you live (e.g. small town v.s big city) amongst other things.

member9876
Look at the fine art example. Well what can you do with a psychology degree then?

Become a psychologist, amongst other things.

IlexAquifolium
Well, you can, but you have to do accelerated graduate medicine first. So to be pedantic, it would be perfectly possible to be training to become a psychiatrist after a psychology BSc, but it would take longer than three years. :p:

I know you do psychology so I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs, but I just thought I'd mention it!

Well if you really want to be pedantic then technically like i said the psychology degree would not lead you to becoming a psychiatrist, the accelerated medicine degree would. :p:
I have a classics degree and I sit on my ass at home
vapid slut magician
I have a classics degree and I sit on my ass at home

Don't say that -- at least let us soon-to-be Classicists live a lie! :p:
Reply 19
EierVonSatan
I have a chemistry degree, turned down a job with 3M, so now doing a PhD in organic chemistry :teeth:

What's 3M?

Latest

Trending

Trending