Turn on thread page Beta

suicide and problems left behind watch

i am posting in H&R and not the finance thread because i want to be anonymous.
    if this is de-anoned or has to be moved, please please delete it

i know this is a very strange question, but, if a university student commits suicide, what is left of their student debts?

do their familys have to pay it off? or do loans companies leave it?

(Original post by Anonymous)

i know this is a very strange question, but, if a university student commits suicide, what is left of their student debts?

i mean, the student loan company

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it's just written off. The family don't have to pay it.

ReputationRep:
    I've not got a clue, but just in case as this is an odd question with no reasoning... http://www.samaritans.org.uk/

08457 90 90 90 in the UK and Northern Ireland

1850 60 90 90 in the Republic of Ireland

OMG!!! cant believe i just read that was thinking exact same thing today and was going to make a thread!!!!

OMG!!! cant believe i just read that was thinking exact same thing today and was going to make a thread!!!!
    so i guess we're both looking for the answer

i wanna contact the student loans company and ask them.. but its not exactly a normal question is it :'( .. argh

and me!

I don't have any answers but I was also wondering what would happen with loans if you had to drop out due to bad mental health and ended up in hospital?

I can imagine either the original scenario or that happening to me!

ReputationRep:
    For the first two anonymous posters, the more important thing to worry about is getting yourselves some help by talking to the Samaritans or some such. Since repayment of SLC loans only happens when you earn over a certain income threshold, you needn't let worries of student debt harm your mental health. Talk to somebody and get some help with the other issues, they're more important.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone anon in this thread?! Am I missing something...

To answer the question, I imagine it'd be written off as bad debt. Besides, aren't these sort of loans conditional on earning X amount - obviously, being dead and all would mean you'd never reach that level of income.

If debt is however getting any of you down - talk to someone or an organisation about it.

ReputationRep:
    Just to say that families are going to be far more hurt by a suicide than silly money problems whether they are associated or not!

If loans are wiped then its not going to spare them any pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    For the first two anonymous posters, the more important thing to worry about is getting yourselves some help by talking to the Samaritans or some such. Since repayment of SLC loans only happens when you earn over a certain income threshold, you needn't let worries of student debt harm your mental health. Talk to somebody and get some help with the other issues, they're more important.
    Yes, if you guys are asking about this for the reason it appears then absolute ditto to the above.

Best wishes.

ReputationRep:
    it's amusing how the anonymous ones are helping each other find the answer to the loan question, instead of - i dunno - making friends and helping each other not to kill yourselves?

edit: well it's not that amusing as it's depression/suicidal wishes, but you know what i mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by εїз pinga εїз)
    it's amusing how the anonymous ones are helping each other find the answer to the loan question, instead of - i dunno - making friends and helping each other not to kill yourselves?

edit: well it's not that amusing as it's depression/suicidal wishes, but you know what i mean
    That was really really helpful. Well done.

ReputationRep:

As with all un-secured loans, with no guarantor, written off.

ReputationRep:
    i was basically teling them to talk to each other and help each other out, i just pointed out the irony, depressed ppl can still have a sense of humour, I certainly did/do

Actually you're right, sorry!

Hope the other two anons are ok :hugs:

(Original post by SillyFencer)
    thankyou

i didnt post this from being suicidal about debt.
    i am suicidal about other things and i know it would cause my family pain if i died
    but i am also thinking of other things, such as debt, that iwouldnt want to leave behind
    but now i know that student loans would be written off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    What about car hire purchase? Is the car repossessed? Is it an unsecured loan, or secured on the car?

(I'm not suicidal, nor do I own a car on HP! I'm just curious)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.