Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I used to speak to my parents once a term to sort out when I'd be coming home for the holidays. And they'd e-mail me from time to time, too. But then, they're used to me - when I first started primary school I apparently marched across the playground and into the classroom without once looking back- so they'd have known full well what to expect if they tried ringing me three times a day.

ReputationRep:
    My mum calls me once a week (a 15-25 min conversation), and I speak to my dad maybe once a semester. I never really call them, I don't really miss them, and I don't get homesick. I suppose we'd be in contact more if we lived in the same country.

ReputationRep:
    Unashamedly, I usually try to have a quick chat to one of my parents every day whilst at uni.

ReputationRep:
    eevery other day ish but only for a few mins- up to 20 mins usually.

ReputationRep:
    switch your phone off. then she might get the message... don't let her emotionally blackmail you. you don't want to be her little baby for ever, do you? if she's angry, well then, tough luck for her. don't let her tantrums ruin YOUR good mood.

i phone my parents once or twice a month to let them know i'm alive, when something important comes up we email each other.

ReputationRep:
    Probably never. Whenever I go abroad for like a month or two, I never contact my parents

ReputationRep:
    Once a week.

Thanks for the replies. Its really interesting to know how often other people speak to their parents - and its certainly not as often as I have to. She hasnt called at all today (ha) I might email her and say i'd like a few days space. I'd keep it nice and apologise a bit for upsetting her, but make sure that we dont get back into the same pattern again. And if she gets all huffy about it then thats fine. I'm more than ready to speak less anyway. I recon if I suggest every other day to her it would be a good compromise. And I can stress how we'll have much more to talk about. I imagine she'll have a complete fit about it, but oh well. I really cant go back into how it was

Anyway thanks. Its been really interesting hearing your replies

ReputationRep:
    Every day, or every two days. For about 15-20 mins

ReputationRep:
    i have weeks where i dont speak to them, and weeks where theyre on the phone 4 times, it just depends whats happening. TBH when uni is going well, its amazing. and i dont really think about them. I ring them when i get results, and stuff, or when i need money, or when im really fed up

ReputationRep:
    Tend to ring for a long chat once a week, and by long I mean an hour and a half or so. I mean she's my mum and she raised me for 16 years, least I can do is give her a ring once a week. Plus, a weeks events provide conversational topics, a days events generally don't.

ReputationRep:
    I text them letting them know I'm still alive every fortnight or so.

ReputationRep:
    About twice a week on the phone, less if I was always out when she'd rung or more if I have something to actually tell her...my mum got all arsey when I hadnt spoke to her for over a week once so then wouldnt speak to me when I did ring up all the next week :rolleyes:

Probably text or speak to my mum or sister on msn nearly every day though. Just speak to my dad if hes about when Im on the phone.

ReputationRep:
    Probably every couple of months by phone. We email each other occasionally, maybe 2 or 3 quick emails a week.

There has never been much to say.

ReputationRep:
    ..i have never had a good realtionship with my mother - but recently it has hit an all time low. we arnt speaking - i'm not going home from uni for the summer - i just can't face a summer of her doing my head in...

ReputationRep:
    I call my mum every couple of days and usually text her every day just because we like chatting to each other.

My dad phones me every day and has done since my parents split up when I was seven. Lately he has taken to phoning me twice a day so sometimes I just don't pick up It isn't law, he says he gets bored at work and wants a chat and I don't mind if I'm not doing anything.

I'm quite lucky, neither of my parents are controlling, just concerned

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.