The Student Room Group

Marriage

Have you heard of anyone ending up homeless after a divorce?

So i was watching this video of individuals from reddit sharing their story about crazy things they heard as a waiter. One mentioned a guy came with his wife and overheard how the guy was planning to give his wife a good beating. Long story short, the story teller called his group of friends to teach the guy a lesson without him knowing why he got jumped. The wife was looking at the guy from the window happy. I hope he interprets this as a sign not raise a hand to his wife, ever.

This is when this question popped in my head. I'm guessing she is an unemployed wife and the husband is the one bringing home the money. If she decides to file a divorce, would she be safe? I.e. Find a job, find a place to stay. So many comments about why doesn't she just file a divorce. They don't know how hard it is for someone to do that when all they could think is "I don't wanna be alone out there". Let me add other factors which could explain this: Arranged marriage, From a background where divorce is frowned upon, safety of the kids, etc.

It's sad to see relationships/marriages like this. There are brave people out there that wanna step in to save these individuals from an abusive partner but get stopped because they fear that it will exacerbate the situation.

Dear you,

Know who you fall in love with. Always have someone (A family member/best friend) when things get heated. Make sure that you have a job as well and don't end up as a housewife/househusband. Few years down the line, they may end up being a different person and convince you that you have no where to go, that you have had children with them, that you've never been employed in the past decade, etc.

---------

I don't know much about this area of subject so i'd like to know why you think people are afraid of their significant other/spouse?
Most people know when they are married to a thug, sociopath, philanderer or some other type of scumbag.
Same applies to unhappy relationships outside of marriage, although it can take longer to be willing to face the facts.
That's the reason for the fear- knowing what their partner has done in the past and is capable of doing.

Friends trapped in unhappy marriages regret their choice of spouse but lack the willpower, access to an independent support network and financial independence to be able to do anything positive.
They believe that divorce is wrong, don't work/have any savings and know that they will be abandoned by their families to be left destitute social outcasts if they leave.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Most people know when they are married to a thug, sociopath, philanderer or some other type of scumbag.
Same applies to unhappy relationships outside of marriage, although it can take longer to be willing to face the facts.
That's the reason for the fear- knowing what their partner has done in the past and is capable of doing.

Friends trapped in unhappy marriages regret their choice of spouse but lack the willpower, access to an independent support network and financial independence to be able to do anything positive.
They believe that divorce is wrong, don't work/have any savings and know that they will be abandoned by their families to be left destitute social outcasts if they leave.

I want to give you a rep but that'll beat the point of anonymity :P

I hope for the arisal of awareness because being in that situation for a long period, if not your whole life, is frightening. A relationship feeling more like master-servant type, more-or-less, than a deep bond. I can't fathom the idea of someone's life being in someone else's hand and at their beck and call.

Thank you for your comment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending