Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saenlt)
    wow. seems like Durham is a better choice than QM, just that i might drown there as the sch is filled with very competitive and smart students?
    QM isnt that competitive?
    I doubt you will drown there, although most of the students are pretty bright, few are total genius's...

QM I doubt is as competitive, to tell you the truth. It doesn't mean that that there is no competition for places there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    QM ftw. Durham is very average at law. Waits for river56
    Har de har. Sorry for the delay

Durham is average? On the contrary i've heard that Durham is better for law than QM! (although both are good )
    He was kidding. Durham's up there in the country's elite schools but there's a lot for QM to be proud of. It's certainly going to start knocking on the door (if it hasn't already). Certainly by the time you graduate. I'd put it just oustide the elite (alongside Warwick, Bristol, Manchester and possibly Newcastle).

Do you have your eyes set on the city firms? Do you want to be a solicitor or a barrister? How important is the city life for you? If you're OK with only a couple of nights out a week in the country's greatest party/student city (Newcastle ), but living in a quiet, beautiful and fairly safe city. I don't think you've got too much to be worries about. If you are wanting the big city experience on a more regular basis then perhaps Durham isn't for you. Still worth not completely dismissing it yet.

ReputationRep:
    wow. seems like Durham is a better choice than QM, just that i might drown there as the sch is filled with very competitive and smart students?
    QM isnt that competitive?
    Durham over QM every day.

I am a Durham lawyer so if you have any questions...

Durham is filled with smart students, but we aren't competitive (that I've noticed). Indeed I have very much enjoyed my first year and have not felt drowned at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    This is the epitome of wrong.

Ohh, I see what you're doing! Lol :rolleyes:
    yea he already mentioned that he said that just to get a friend to respond. it was a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Har de har. Sorry for the delay

He was kidding. Durham's up there in the country's elite schools but there's a lot for QM to be proud of. It's certainly going to start knocking on the door (if it hasn't already). Certainly by the time you graduate. I'd put it just oustide the elite (alongside Warwick, Bristol, Manchester and possibly Newcastle).

Do you have your eyes set on the city firms? Do you want to be a solicitor or a barrister? How important is the city life for you? If you're OK with only a couple of nights out a week in the country's greatest party/student city (Newcastle ), but living in a quiet, beautiful and fairly safe city. I don't think you've got too much to be worries about. If you are wanting the big city experience on a more regular basis then perhaps Durham isn't for you. Still worth not completely dismissing it yet.
    haha Newcastle is very accessible from Durham huh? I heard all the pubs/clubs wutevas in Newcastle are there . and that the pubs/clubs in Durham play cheesy music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Durham over QM every day.

I am a Durham lawyer so if you have any questions...

Durham is filled with smart students, but we aren't competitive (that I've noticed). Indeed I have very much enjoyed my first year and have not felt drowned at all.
    oh, great! so you seemed to have enjoyed your time in Durham. how about the collegiate system? I heard that there are stereotypes for each college. ha ha. and Castle is a very popular choice as , well, it IS a castle afterall.

ReputationRep:
    haha Newcastle is very accessible from Durham huh? I heard all the pubs/clubs wutevas in Newcastle are there . and that the pubs/clubs in Durham play cheesy music.
    Depends where you go.

The legend that is DJ Robin (Klute) does, but theres loads of watering holes/clubs in Durham that are good fun too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    but we aren't competitive
    Friendly college rivalry is probably where the competition ends. I don't see all the law students battling it out with cannons on Palace Green.

Wow, there are three Durham students (only one law) on this thread already! Where are the QM ones?

ReputationRep:
    oh, great! so you seemed to have enjoyed your time in Durham. how about the collegiate system? I heard that there are stereotypes for each college. ha ha. and Castle is a very popular choice as , well, it IS a castle afterall.
    Yes, almost everyone applies for Castle. (Well most do)

There isn't really college stereotypes beyond Hatfield, and that's less stereotype and more FACT.

The collegiate system is good as it gives you a good sens of unity that I don't think (personal opinion) that you can get from a non-collegiate uni. We eat, drink, party and sleep (:hubba:) together.

ReputationRep:
    yea he already mentioned that he said that just to get a friend to respond. it was a joke
    Friend's a strong word

ReputationRep:
    Friendly college rivalry is probably where the competition ends. I don't see all the law students battling it out with cannons on Palace Green.

Wow, there are three Durham students (only one law) on this thread already! Where are the QM ones?
    :yes:

I do wonder where the law students get this competitive reputation from. Perhaps I shall find out next year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Yes, almost everyone applies for Castle. (Well most do)

There isn't really college stereotypes beyond Hatfield, and that's less stereotype and more FACT.

The collegiate system is good as it gives you a good sens of unity that I don't think (personal opinion) that you can get from a non-collegiate uni. We eat, drink, party and sleep (:hubba:) together.
    ahh, whats w the sleep together HUH. lol.
    anyhows, im from Singapore. are there many intl students at Durham?
    and what do you mean by beyond hatfield? what about it?

ReputationRep:
    Both Newcastle and Durham are accesible by train, both being on the east coast mainline. It's about 12 minutes each way. But don't be misled that Newcastle is "just up the road" as many seem to think it is. They are two different cities in two different counties (20 miles apart). That's almost the same distance between Stockton and Durham.

So Durham to Newcastle is 12 mins by train, one hour by bus, 20 minutes by car. Just be aware that it's not all that easy travelling back from Newcastle at night. The last train is about 23:30, I think with the next one not until five AM (I'm guessing). You'd be relying on Taxis coming back, which is why it's not really possible to spend every single night out in Newcastle.

Newcastle is the world reknowed party city, yes. Although I wouldn't say Durham's nightlife revolves around cheesy clubs. That's just Klute, really.

You'll probably get more answers about the decent clubs and places in Durham, so I'll leave that for others to answer.

But also be aware that Durham offers a plethora of college bars including the finest bar in Durham at Cuth's There's vibrant student theatre and societies and if sport is your thing then Durham's a top choice. Don't be under the impression all students sit be candlenight each night discussing Wittgenstein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Friend's a strong word
    oops, my bad. acquaintance more like it huh.

ReputationRep:
    Both Newcastle and Durham are accesible by train, both being on the east coast mainline. It's about 12 minutes each way. But don't be misled that Newcastle is "just up the road" as many seem to think it is. They are two different cities in two different counties (20 miles apart). That's almost the same distance between Stockton and Durham.

So Durham to Newcastle is 12 mins by train, one hour by bus, 20 minutes by car. Just be aware that it's not all that easy travelling back from Newcastle at night. The last train is about 23:30, I think with the next one not until five AM (I'm guessing). You'd be relying on Taxis coming back, which is why it's not really possible to spend every single night out in Newcastle.

Newcastle is the world reknowed party city, yes. Although I wouldn't say Durham's nightlife revolves around cheesy clubs. That's just Klute, really.

You'll probably get more answers about the decent clubs and places in Durham, so I'll leave that for others to answer.

But also be aware that Durham offers a plethora of college bars including the finest bar in Durham at Cuth's There's vibrant student theatre and societies and if sport is your thing then Durham's a top choice. Don't be under the impression all students sit be candlenight each night discussing Wittgenstein.
    haha. i see. however, im a volleyball lover and there isnt any volleyball team there, right?
    wow, sounds like im swaying towards Durham w all the Durham students assuring me that it's a good place to be in!
    i am also largely comforted by the fact that it is a safe place as well. away from the frenzy lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    ahh, whats w the sleep together HUH. lol.
    anyhows, im from Singapore. are there many intl students at Durham?
    and what do you mean by beyond hatfield? what about it?
    There are a number of Int'l students, I'm not sure how many but there is certainly a significant minority. Furthermore there is a very strong support network at Durham that look after int'l students including the week before freshers week where int'l students get acquainted with the city and the other int'l students.

ReputationRep:
    haha. i see. however, im a volleyball lover and there isnt any volleyball team there, right?.
    http://www.teamdurham.com/?page=222

There's also the annual Doxbridge tournament (Durham, Oxford and Cambridge competing in sports each year - only time that terms should be used :p: ). It's held each year in Dubling although I don't think it includes volleyball, not yet anyway.

http://www.doxbridge.co.uk/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    There are a number of Int'l students, I'm not sure how many but there is certainly a significant minority. Furthermore there is a very strong support network at Durham that look after int'l students including the week before freshers week where int'l students get acquainted with the city and the other int'l students.
    aah. i see. so, i guess Durham is a better choice? how about employment prospects? many employers do look at the reputation of the unis right? i know this sounds very superficial but, i guess it does matter, more or less.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.teamdurham.com/?page=222

There's also the annual Doxbridge tournament (Durham, Oxford and Cambridge competing in sports each year - only time that terms should be used :p: ). It's held each year in Dubling although I don't think it includes volleyball, not yet anyway.

http://www.doxbridge.co.uk/index.html
    wow, really? that's cool. ha ha. what are the more popular sports in durham?

ReputationRep:
    aah. i see. so, i guess Durham is a better choice? how about employment prospects? many employers do look at the reputation of the unis right? i know this sounds very superficial but, i guess it does matter, more or less.
    You don't really need to worry about employment prosects. I said earlier it's one of the elite and targeted by the top city firms. QMUL isn't all that far behind (probably not as far as some thing) but Durham would be the better choice "prestige" wise.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 25, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.