Turn on thread page Beta

QMUL or Durham for Law? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saenlt)
    wow, really? that's cool. ha ha. what are the more popular sports in durham?
    Rowing, rowing and rowing (being situated on a river this isn't suprising). There's actual an annual boatrace with Newcastle each year. Usually won by Durham

The obvious such as rugby, football, hockey, tennis and athletics but whatever sport you are doing you'll find good faciltiies. It's one of the top universities in terms of participation (number of students partaking in at least one sport).

Actually, Maiden Castle, the sports centre used by the uni, was Newcastle's (the Premiership football team, not the university :p: ) training ground until the mid - late 1990s. So the sports faciltiies are rather good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    You don't really need to worry about employment prosects. I said earlier it's one of the elite and targeted by the top city firms. QMUL isn't all that far behind (probably not as far as some thing) but Durham would be the better choice "prestige" wise.
    ahh, i see. so prestige wise, check. safety wise, check. student environment wise... how's it at Dur? (: like are the students friendly, or are the Law lecturers very approachable and helpful?
    cos i heard that the lecturers at QM are just an email away.

ReputationRep:
    Rowing, rowing and rowing (being situated on a river this isn't suprising). There's actual an annual boatrace with Newcastle each year. Usually won by Durham

The obvious such as rugby, football, hockey, tennis and athletics but whatever sport you are doing you'll find good faciltiies. It's one of the top universities in terms of participation (number of students partaking in at least one sport).

Actually, Maiden Castle, the sports centre used by the uni, was Newcastle's (the Premiership football team, not the university :p: ) training ground until the mid - late 1990s. So the sports faciltiies are rather good
    wow. sounds like Durham is doin well for its sports! but i've been playing vball for so manyyy years. am kinda bummed that there isnt any there. LOL.
    so which college did u belong to?

ReputationRep:
    and btw, how about leicester and sheffield? incomparable as well?

ReputationRep:
    and btw, how about leicester and sheffield? incomparable as well?
    Leicester, I feel, is very up and coming in law. It has been progressing well and is probably comparable to QMUL in terms of prestige. Not too far behind anyway.

Sheffield is a solid and traditional university. It has its strengths but I don't think law is really one of them. Sheffield will still carry some weight and respect$ due to being a traditional uni and what's called a "redbrick" but in law, if we are talking about job prospects, you'd be better looking at Durham, QMUL and possibly Leicester. Sheffield's certainly not poorat all but, as I said earlier Durham is the only of those unis to be targeted by the city law firms and considered "elite" and I think you feel this is quite important?

ReputationRep:
    Leicester, I feel, is very up and coming in law. It has been progressing well and is probably comparable to QMUL in terms of prestige. Not too far behind anyway.

Sheffield is a solid and traditional university. It has its strengths but I don't think law is really one of them. Sheffield will still carry some weight and respect$ due to being a traditional uni and what's called a "redbrick" but in law, if we are talking about job prospects, you'd be better looking at Durham, QMUL and possibly Leicester. Sheffield's certainly not poorat all but, as I said earlier Durham is the only of those unis to be targeted by the city law firms and considered "elite" and I think you feel this is quite important?
    wow, thanks alot for your help! student environment wise... how's it at Dur? (: like are the students friendly, or are the Law lecturers very approachable and helpful?

ReputationRep:
    wow, thanks alot for your help! student environment wise... how's it at Dur? (: like are the students friendly, or are the Law lecturers very approachable and helpful?
    I'm not a law student at Durham (I'm studying philosophy and politics). Although I know a reasonable (not large!) amount about the profession from working in it. I can't really tell you what the lecturers are like. Prudy could answer, hopefully will soon. I haven't heard anything awful though. It's probably no different to QMUL. If you have any problems I'm sure they'll be on hand to listen and, yes, they'll only be an email away at Durham also.

The student body at Durham. Well, I won't lie to you. I don't know if you are aware of it or not but Durham students don't have the best of reputations on TSR. It's a university that attracts a very large privately educated and wealthy student body. There's a lot of inverse snoberry from students at other unis who seem to think that because they are from private school backgrounds they aren't pleasent, and quite arrogant, people.

I don't mean to put you off there because this reputation is largely unfounded. As with all universities there are some unpleasent students. Some can be a little "vocal" but they are certainly in the minority. Most are welcoming and non-judgmental. For every unpleasent student you'll find at least three pleasent ones I don't think Durham is less friendly than any other major university. If I didn't set this straight now you may learn of it letter and get the wrong impression.

The student support staff at each college are tremendoulsy helpful and friendly. Once you are here as a student they'll do all they can to take care of you and help you with any support or study needs you have. Being part of a college gives you a sense of community and belonging.

So to summarise the students are no more or any less friendly than students at other universities. But at Durham there is the "college difference" which does add that extra amount of warmth and support to any student. I think this is probably even more important to an international student. The international students I know feel as if it's a second home to them and the colleges play a big part in this.

I'm at St Cuthbert's Society, by the way with the best bar in Durham

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a law student at Durham (I'm studying philosophy and politics). Although I know a reasonable (not large!) amount about the profession from working in it. I can't really tell you what the lecturers are like. Prudy could answer, hopefully will soon. I haven't heard anything awful though. It's probably no different to QMUL. If you have any problems I'm sure they'll be on hand to listen and, yes, they'll only be an email away at Durham also.

The student body at Durham. Well, I won't lie to you. I don't know if you are aware of it or not but Durham students don't have the best of reputations on TSR. It's a university that attracts a very large privately educated and wealthy student body. There's a lot of inverse snoberry from students at other unis who seem to think that because they are from private school backgrounds they aren't pleasent, and quite arrogant, people.

I don't mean to put you off there because this reputation is largely unfounded. As with all universities there are some unpleasent students. Some can be a little "vocal" but they are certainly in the minority. Most are welcoming and non-judgmental. For every unpleasent student you'll find at least three pleasent ones I don't think Durham is less friendly than any other major university. If I didn't set this straight now you may learn of it letter and get the wrong impression.

The student support staff at each college are tremendoulsy helpful and friendly. Once you are here as a student they'll do all they can to take care of you and help you with any support or study needs you have. Being part of a college gives you a sense of community and belonging.

So to summarise the students are no more or any less friendly than students at other universities. But at Durham there is the "college difference" which does add that extra amount of warmth and support to any student. I think this is probably even more important to an international student. The international students I know feel as if it's a second home to them and the colleges play a big part in this.

I'm at St Cuthbert's Society, by the way with the best bar in Durham
    ha ha wow. thanks for your sincere and prompt replies. you have been of a great great help! hopefully some QMUL students will reply to this thread soon. then i can hear from both sides. but im already swaying towards Durham. I kinda like the peaceful life there. and if it gets a tad boring, there's always Newcastle by the train. ha ha. plus, i read that there are malls providing HMV, Topshop etc pretty nearby!

ReputationRep:
    ha ha wow. thanks for your sincere and prompt replies. you have been of a great great help! hopefully some QMUL students will reply to this thread soon. then i can hear from both sides. but im already swaying towards Durham. I kinda like the peaceful life there. and if it gets a tad boring, there's always Newcastle by the train. ha ha. plus, i read that there are malls providing HMV, Topshop etc pretty nearby!
    Durham actually provides a small number of shops itself. It has a small shopping area where HMV etc can be found. They are obviously tiny compared to those you'll find in the larger cities though.

But Newcastle has far more, yes. It's well rated for its social life. I've seen it ranked in the top ten of the world a number of times and has long since been considered one of the top in the country, recently the best student city

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle4164023.ece

Without going into too much detail (I can provide more later on if you want, just send me a private message if you have any queries) much of its nightlife revolves around clubbing. Its status as a city of the arts has been growing over the years and it's supposed to be world-class in the area but, in all honesty, it's no better than similar large cities such as Liverpool, Bristol or London. It still offers theatres and art galleries, plus the an international music centre nearby (the Sage) which hosts various music events. From local community groups and artists to major international acts across a range of genres. So I don't mean to criticise its cultural attractions but they just aren't as special as they like to think they are.

As for shopping then Newcastle certainly does offer the big names and the shopping centres. There's the usual city centre shops (you mention HMV, I think Newcastle's HMV is one of the largest in the country - though it's still not "massive").

http://www.newcastlegateshead.com/49...g_Centres.html

Outside Newcastle, in Gateshead (just five miles away from me )there's the MetroCentre.

http://www.metrocentre-gateshead.co.uk/index.mhtml

If you like shopping you'll probably love the Metrocentre. It claims to be the largest in Europe but it's actually the second largest. They have been overtaken by a shopping centre in Turkey. They obviously don't consider Turkey part of Europe though Biggest or not it doesn't matter, it's still large!

The MetroCentre is quite accesible from Durham. You can get a bus directly there in an hour or take the train to Newcastle and then the bus or train and be there in half an hour.

Oh, one final thing, if you like theatre then, apart from Newcastle's theatres and Durham's student theatre, there's the Empire Theatre in another city, Sunderland. It's closer to Durham than Newcastle is but not as easy to travel to. Even so, you can get a bus directly to Sunderland so it's not difficult. The Empire is the largest theatre in the north of England I think and the only one that can stage London's West End shows.

If you want to know more about what Newcastle can offer then see this (just remember that its purpose is to advertise the city to tourists and therefore may exagerrate its attractions slightly. It gives a good idea of what's on offer though).

http://www.visitnewcastlegateshead.com/

ReputationRep:
    Ooops, I didn't realise that was so long! I can ger carries away. I should have sent it as a PM. Just let me know if you want to know anything more and I'll PM you.

Just remember that if you come to Durham then that's where you'll be studying and living there and not Newcastle. Travelling to Newcastle and back during the day is quite easy and convenient but it's still not cheap (about £5 without a railcard). It will also be difficult travelling back after 11PM without using taxis. So please keep in mind that'll probably only be possible travelling to Newcastle two or three times a week at most (unless you're rich)

In all honesty I don't know that many students who do go to Newcastle for nights out. Certainly not regularly. Once they arrive in Durham they tend to stay there and does meet most peoples needs.

Anyway, like I said, if you want to know more then just ask. I haven't given my usual sell of the regions countryside yet! lol

Hopefully some QMUL students will arrive.....

ReputationRep:
    Durham and Queen Mary are very different in terms of the type of area you're going to be in. Some people prefer the London life, others don't etc. As for reputation, I chose Queen Mary over some better reputed universities because I wanted to be in London, plus the options and course overall looked a lot more interesting. I figured that I don't want to be a 'top notch barrister' so it really doesn't matter that I'm not going to Oxbridge or the 'elite' universities. Having said that, there is no reason why you can't go far with a LLB degree from Queen Mary if you put the effort in to gain work experience and a good 2:1/1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    Having said that, there is no reason why you can't go far with a LLB degree from Queen Mary if you put the effort in to gain work experience and a good 2:1/1st.
    Exactly. You could be anything you want sweetcheeks

I said before that QMUL isn't far off the elite in my eyes and, although it may not be as actively targeted by the city firms as the elite, a grad can still get in there, or be a barrister, with solid and consistant academic performance, work experience, determination and lots of luck.

I feel that any difference there is between the two probably will start to become more insignificant over the years.

I just hope we've brought the OP around to the balance of Durham. Living and studying in a beautiful city with great sport opportunities but the benefit of top nightlife and good shopping 12 minutes away by train. It's a good compromise. Not that I'm biased.

Also, I don't know how much of an issue crime and safety is with the OP (I know that Durham being "safe" has already been mentioned). But it's worth noting that I don't think anywhere is particularly "unsafe". The fear of crime is more disabling than anything else and although stabbings, shootings and serious assaults occur more in large cities, like London that shouldn't really be a major concern. At least I don't think so.

Take basic precautions and use common sense and I don't think you'll really have any problems anyway, even London :p:

ReputationRep:
    Durham and Queen Mary are very different in terms of the type of area you're going to be in. Some people prefer the London life, others don't etc. As for reputation, I chose Queen Mary over some better reputed universities because I wanted to be in London, plus the options and course overall looked a lot more interesting. I figured that I don't want to be a 'top notch barrister' so it really doesn't matter that I'm not going to Oxbridge or the 'elite' universities. Having said that, there is no reason why you can't go far with a LLB degree from Queen Mary if you put the effort in to gain work experience and a good 2:1/1st.
    that is so true. i have to get a 2.1 or better to come back to Sg to practice. If not, i'll have to work 2yrs before takin the bar exam agn. Durham is an elite sch im afraid that getting a 2.1 would be tougher! (not tt it would be easy in QM, just perhaps not as tough?)

would anyone mind telling me how does Dur calculate their exam papers? For e.g for QM, they will take all my exam papers and get the average score. i must get a 60% to get my 2.1. is this right?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. You could be anything you want sweetcheeks

I feel that any difference there is between the two probably will start to become more insignificant over the years.

Take basic precautions and use common sense and I don't think you'll really have any problems anyway, even London :p:
    ya, i guess in the end, the difference between QM and Dur is just the lifestyle (i am fine w partying/shopping just twice a week or smth. :p: ) that Dur is more countryside-ish and laidback.

and is the cost of living/shopping etc is cheaper at Durham?

pls do let me in on more of the countryside part of Durham! heard tt its picturesque there, really beautiful. i am new to this so.. how do i PM you.. ha ha. thank you!

ReputationRep:
    On a minor note, if you're an international student, a degree from the University of London might even be more 'reputable' than a degree from Durham, strangely enough. I know several international students who had never heard of Durham until they came to the UK but seemed to think the Uni of London was quite famous. I think within the UK, Durham has the higher reputation, but I think generally to people in Singapore and non-European countries, the 'Uni of London' is probably more recognised.

Then again, I don't believe you should pick a uni solely for its repuation. If you like the scenery and don't like busy polluted cities etc., Durham seems to be the ideal place. I would probably have chosen Durham had I been given the choice. :p:

ReputationRep:
    On a minor note, if you're an international student, a degree from the University of London might even be more 'reputable' than a degree from Durham, strangely enough.I think within the UK, Durham has the higher reputation, but I think generally to people in Singapore and non-European countries, the 'Uni of London' is probably more recognised.
    i think what you said is true regarding Unis of London. However, what matters most is what the employers think, and usually, lawyers/employers, being the insiders, will know better whether Durham is a good sch or not? (: so.. i dont doubt the employment prospects that Dur would provide me as compared to QM. hmm, agreed..?

ReputationRep:
    i think what you said is true regarding Unis of London. However, what matters most is what the employers think, and usually, lawyers/employers, being the insiders, will know better whether Durham is a good sch or not? (: so.. i dont doubt the employment prospects that Dur would provide me as compared to QM. hmm, agreed..?
    Yeah that is true, although I get the impression a lot of people on TSR are caught up with what 'other people' think, hence I mentioned it. Go with where you think you'd enjoy more and get the most out of. In the end, a degree from either uni will not hinder you from whatever you want to do in the future if you work hard throughout.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is true, although I get the impression a lot of people on TSR are caught up with what 'other people' think, hence I mentioned it. Go with where you think you'd enjoy more and get the most out of. In the end, a degree from either uni will not hinder you from whatever you want to do in the future if you work hard throughout.
    Well said

QMUL will give you the UoL brandname which may be important overseas. It will also give you the big city life actually on your doorstep.

Durham is the more presitiogus law school in the UK (but as I said, the difference between the two will probably start becoming more insignificant over the next ten years but this is just my personal optinion). Durham is the small and historic city and a little more personal (I think that's fair to say?) and also has the unique college environment and sport. The downside being that the city life and major shopping is twenty miles away. Although most students I know don't really care about this and are quite OK with staying in Durham most of the time you may not feel the same. If so it could get a little tiresome and expensive travelling to Newcastle/Sunderland/MetroCentre a few times a week.

OP I'll PM you today or tommorrow to tell you about a couple of more things. It's really just up to you to decide which you think you'll be happiest at.

I'll repeat what I said earlier about safety. Yes, Durham has the lower crime rates by far but this shouldn't be an issue. You're still unlikely to be a victim of crime in either city.

ReputationRep:
    Well said

Although most students I know don't really care about this and are quite OK with staying in Durham most of the time you may not feel the same. If so it could get a little tiresome and expensive travelling to Newcastle/Sunderland/MetroCentre a few times a week.

OP I'll PM you today or tommorrow to tell you about a couple of more things. It's really just up to you to decide which you think you'll be happiest at.
    as for basic necessities, there are such in Durham right? and maybe just light shopping. cos in that case, i'll be fine stayin in Durham and going up to Newcastle etc just once a week ((:

ReputationRep:
    as for basic necessities, there are such in Durham right? and maybe just light shopping. cos in that case, i'll be fine stayin in Durham and going up to Newcastle etc just once a week ((:
    Sure, Durham certainly has the basic necessities. It's still a city, just a small one, so it has a small number of clothes shops, an HMV, bookshops, a chemists/pharmacy and plenty of banks and coffee shops). For food shopping there's a quite large Tesco supermarket just outside the city. So you'll have the basics covered in Durham and then some.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 25, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.