Turn on thread page Beta

QMUL or Durham for Law? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    oh.. okay tts great! and yes i've been wanting to ask this question, when does the sch gives its breaks?like.. summer break from when till when.. winter break, study break etc?
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Can I set something straight about the repuatation of the Mile End area. O.K so it is not central London with all of its shiny restaurants and theatres and lovely buildings. However as a young girl walking the streets of Mile End I can honestly say it is not as bad as people make out. I have walked from the tube station to the Uni at about midnight and I have never felt afraid or threatened. Mainly because there are nearly always students going the same way. Which is a nice thing about the Mile End area, it has a really studenty feel to it which other areas in London may not have. There are pleanty of things to do if you want to stay in Mile End, the Hayfield, a Wetherspoons down in Stepney and Whitechapel a Nandos and various other places to eat.

Second of all to the person who said you don't get much of the London experience in Mile end is wrong. I mean it's a 10 minute tube ride into liverpool street and the city which is great for a walk around. You can get to the river from St Pauls if thats your thing. Then it's maybe 15-20 minutes to Holborn then you can walk to Oxford Street, Covent Garden etc. Nights out are nearly always spent somewhere in central London with a nightbus or cheap taxi back (if you are sharing). If your not getting the London experience while there then your not making the most of opportunites availabe to you.

I mean I love Queen Mary, I think it's a great place to study and the Law department from what I have heard is great. HOWEVER I do know Durhams reputation and would say unless you reallly want to study at QM then come here, but if not go to Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Rowing, rowing and rowing (being situated on a river this isn't suprising). There's actual an annual boatrace with Newcastle each year. Usually won by Durham

The obvious such as rugby, football, hockey, tennis and athletics but whatever sport you are doing you'll find good faciltiies. It's one of the top universities in terms of participation (number of students partaking in at least one sport).

Actually, Maiden Castle, the sports centre used by the uni, was Newcastle's (the Premiership football team, not the university :p: ) training ground until the mid - late 1990s. So the sports faciltiies are rather good
    Really, when Iw as younger (mid-late 90's) I always remember being taken to somewhere in Benton to watch the team train....when Keegan was in charge (first time round).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Nah it is really good. Just winding up river but he hasn't replied

Gosh, that's sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    At QM you have to be a little wary of being beaten up on campus Contrast that to Durham being a very safe place to wonder around, even at 4am.
    Bullshizers. I feel more safe at Queen Marys than anywhere else, and most the travelling and activities I do are around 4am.

ReputationRep:
    Queen Marys = Best Uni in the Country. The accessibility, campus and student life is amazing. Law dept is good too..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minelli)
    Really, when Iw as younger (mid-late 90's) I always remember being taken to somewhere in Benton to watch the team train....when Keegan was in charge (first time round).
    It was probably the early to mid 90s they were at Durham. I think Keegan opened the doors to supporters for the first time ever. It was maybe in his second season they moved training to Newcastle. That would have been the first Premiership season (their first, second overall). I'm guessing there.

It was definately used, here's their official website and later on gives a list of their previous training grounds. Maiden Castle being one.

http://www.nufc.com/2008-09html/ground.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    Bullshizers. I feel more safe at Queen Marys than anywhere else, and most the travelling and activities I do are around 4am.
    How can Mile End be safer than Durham? You might feel safe, but in practise you are not as safe as in Durham. Unless these 4am activities are in the confines of your halls, of course...

ReputationRep:
    How can Mile End be safer than Durham? You might feel safe, but in practise you are not as safe as in Durham. Unless these 4am activities are in the confines of your halls, of course...
    :rolleyes: It actually disgusts me when people think Mile End is a terrible and dangerous place to be. The area is so student-y it provides security for you to know your almost certain to bump into other students, even early in the morning.

We've walked from many Central London Places in the early (or Late) hours back to Mile End and not had any trouble once; and ANY Park is dangerous knowadays.

Unless your approaching Mile End Boyz and acting suggestively, they don't really care who you are. You get gangs of youths anywhere, so get out with that steretypical image of Mile End being the centre of crime in London :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've felt threatened in Durham before. It has loads of seculded little alleyways and stuff that you have to go down to get to certain places....never felt threatened in Mile end....maybe thats because I feel more at home in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I've felt threatened in Durham before. It has loads of seculded little alleyways and stuff that you have to go down to get to certain places....never felt threatened in Mile end....maybe thats because I feel more at home in the end.
    High Five! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Durham has its small, narrow, mediaeval alleyways that may feel intimidating at night, as any quiet area does.

But the important question is, have you been a victim of (or even seen) serious crime in Durham? Have you ever in Mile End?

Do you really think there's any reason to feel unsafe in either?

Wherever you are you're more likely to never be a victim of serious crime. Crime wouldn't fear me (then again, I'm six foot and well built - I can handle myself )

ReputationRep:
    ^Unless your being reckless there's no real need to feel unsafe anywhere.

Obviously at night, don't stay alone..don't go to any dark alleys, basic childhood stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Durham has its small, narrow, mediaeval alleyways that may feel intimidating at night, as any quiet area does.

But the important question is, have you been a victim of (or even seen) serious crime in Durham? Have you ever in Mile End?

Do you really think there's any reason to feel unsafe in either?

Wherever you are you're more likely to never be a victim of serious crime. Crime wouldn't fear me (then again, I'm six foot and well built - I can handle myself )
    I have never been a victim of serious crime in either, however I have only been to Durham 2-3 times. And if it's night time I have been with a group of people and have sometimes still felt intimidated. Whereas in Mile End i often travel alone and feel fine because its nearly always busy.

ReputationRep:
    Durham definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saenlt)
    oh.. okay tts great! and yes i've been wanting to ask this question, when does the sch gives its breaks?like.. summer break from when till when.. winter break, study break etc?
    lol
    For Durham term one is early October to mid December. Then the second term starts mid January until mid/late March. The final term is late April until June.

You will go back to university after easter in late April and have one or two teaching/revision weeks until the exams start.

So holidays are four weeks at Christmas, five weeks at Easter. For summer it depends when you class it as "holidays". Some would say the end of exams (which finish by the 2nd or 3rd of June) until October. Officially the summer doesn't start until late June as you need to stay in Durham until exam results and registration. During June, after exams, you aren't doing any work or attending lectures. It's all free time.

QMUL will be similar although they start in September

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/about/calendar/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saenlt)
    I am choosing between QMUL or Durham for Law. Both are reputable and good universities and I am fine with both the city lifestyle of Queenmary and the serenity of Durham. But, I am having trouble deciding! :confused: Any suggestions/feedbacks (personal experiences or hearsay) regarding this issue?
    I think Durham has a better law school, though marginally, to QM. It is certainly a better university as a whole with a greater reputation to QM. I think Durham is probably the best for law outside the golden triangle. Though both law departments are excellent and have 5* for RAE. To be honest, it doesn't matter which one you go to because both QM and Durham will stand in pretty much an equally good stead for your career. I doubt going to Durham over QM would do you any real favours.

I think River (?) said City law firms don't target QM, but do Durham. This is wrong. Additionally, employers have far more important criteria than nitpicking between good universities (unless you come from Oxbridge which is undoubtedly in a different weight class). Needless to say, I think you have to make your choice with other factors in mind: city or town? I think Durham would be better for sports, if that is a criteria for you. London isn't exactly rolling with fields. But in regards to the location of QM, I live in London and have friends in the Mile End area: it's really not that bad. Most people from LSE/UCL live in the East End in their 2nd/3rd years and, from what I hear, prefer it to living in the centre.

Personally, I would choose QM over Durham: but that is only because I love cities and love London to bits. Way back when, I visited Durham and really didn't like it. Though many disagree. But I'd probably take city unis Notts, Bristol etc. over both because I think they're nicer.

ReputationRep:
    For Durham term one is early October to mid December. Then the second term starts mid January until mid/late March. The final term is late April until June.

You will go back to university after easter in late April and have one or two teaching/revision weeks until the exams start.

So holidays are four weeks at Christmas, five weeks at Easter. For summer it depends when you class it as "holidays". Some would say the end of exams (which finish by the 2nd or 3rd of June) until October. Officially the summer doesn't start until late June as you need to stay in Durham until exam results and registration. During June, after exams, you aren't doing any work or attending lectures. It's all free time.

QMUL will be similar although they start in September

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/about/calendar/index.html

Freshers week starts on the 15thish of September but real teaching doesn't really start until the end of September beginning of October. We get 3 weeks for Christmas 4 for Easter then when you come back after Easter it is exam leave.

ReputationRep:
    Freshers week starts on the 15thish of September but real teaching doesn't really start until the end of September beginning of October. We get 3 weeks for Christmas 4 for Easter then when you come back after Easter it is exam leave.
    Only three weeks for Christmas?

You see, this is one thing I don't like about Durham. The terms are just too short and intensive. Most unis start late September, we start early October and we have more generous holidays than some. Having five weeks at Easter is great as you can revise. I think four at Christmas is too long.

I'd rather start in September but they they are too bothered about tradition.

ReputationRep:
    wow. seems like there's a debate. summary...
    Durham unsafe cos of quiet alleys.
    Queenmary unsafe cos of quiet Mile End parks etc.
    So... bottomline, avoid quiet places no matter where you are. ha ha.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 25, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.