Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    :rolleyes: It actually disgusts me when people think Mile End is a terrible and dangerous place to be. The area is so student-y it provides security for you to know your almost certain to bump into other students, even early in the morning.
    Being a studenty area in a big city makes it less safe, not more safe.
    We've walked from many Central London Places in the early (or Late) hours back to Mile End and not had any trouble once; and ANY Park is dangerous knowadays.
    Not convinced on the park thing. Durham is perfectly safe, I happily walk in the pitch black alongside the river late at night.
    Unless your approaching Mile End Boyz and acting suggestively, they don't really care who you are. You get gangs of youths anywhere, so get out with that steretypical image of Mile End being the centre of crime in London :rolleyes:
    Durham doesn't really have any local gangs that I am aware of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saenlt)
    wow. seems like there's a debate. summary...
    Durham unsafe cos of quiet alleys.
    Queenmary unsafe cos of quiet Mile End parks etc.
    So... bottomline, avoid quiet places no matter where you are. ha ha.
    Those alleys are rather avoidable, and imo are perfectly safe to walk down. The only place that is slightly dodgy in Durham is North Road at nighttime, but the solution is to go in a group down there.

ReputationRep:
    This is silly. Of course Durham is safer. Crime is statistically more likely to happen in cities. So what? You have to be careful. I'd hate to live in the middle of nowhere. Far prefer cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)

Durham is perfectly safe, I happily walk in the pitch black alongside the river late at night..
    So could I and I wouldn't suggest it's unsafe at all. It's just I appreciate someone feeling intimidated when in a quiet area at night. You're more likely to be around people in the east end of London and this does ease anxiety in most.

In terms of crime figures then, yes, Durham is below average for every factor. Tower Hamlets is above average for everything but, considering it's part of a major city, they aren't particularly bad figures (even violence and robbery aren't much higher than Manchester). So, thinking about them in context, they really aren't too bad.

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/poli.../l/Durham.html

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/poli...ures/l/E1.html

I still say you're unlikely to be a victim of crime in either area, especially if you take the obvious precautions.

Those charvas can be viscious though. Just keep away from North Road

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Lawz)
    This is silly. Of course Durham is safer. Crime is statistically more likely to happen in cities. So what? You have to be careful. I'd hate to live in the middle of nowhere. Far prefer cities.
    We've already discussed this and that's crap.

How can Durham be in "the middle of nowhere" when it's (farily) close to the fifth largest metropolitan area in the country (made up of two large conurbations)?

ReputationRep:
    Those alleys are rather avoidable, and imo are perfectly safe to walk down. The only place that is slightly dodgy in Durham is North Road at nighttime, but the solution is to go in a group down there.
    :rofl: I was just kidding about North Road. I'd still advise people to be with friends but it's not that bad. It's just the one area of the city which isn't dominated by students and has a lot of locals (despite one of the major student housing areas being nearby). Having lots of local, working class people puts many students out of their safety bubble.

It's not pleasent (a little ugly), but it's by no means rough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    :rofl: I was just kidding about North Road. I'd still advise people to be with friends but it's not that bad. It's just the one area of the city which isn't dominated by students and has a lot of locals (despite one of the major student housing areas being nearby). Having lots of local, working class people puts many students out of their safety bubble.

It's not pleasent (a little ugly), but it's by no means rough.
    North Road I have seen a few fights down there (I remember one time when we went into the Loft by mistake and then could not get out because some locals were having a massive fight down there). The rest of Durham you never see fights in, so relatively its rather unsafe.

ReputationRep:

Not convinced on the park thing. Durham is perfectly safe, I happily walk in the pitch black alongside the river late at night.

lol every area has gangs, even then the Mile End Boyz don't really do anything apart from pay football, and deliver pizzas :rolleyes: Your clearly oblivious.

I never said Durham is any less safe, but you thinking Mile End at night is a warzone is ridiculous, I feel more safe here than my home in Kingston...:rolleyes:

It being student-y doesn't make it less safe, Mile End is always busy...your never alone, besides if your acting in a fashion and being reckless you almost deserve to be mugged etc.

Your attitude stinks, think thats a plus point for Queen Maryz!

ReputationRep:
    i see. anyhows it's down to how you wanna view. people filled places can both be safe and unsafe. so i guess this leaves with whether u prefer city life or the countryside-ish life. hmm. what are the pros and cons?

ReputationRep:
    Just like the supposed rough Mile End Park is avoidable...you just don't go?

Besides, accoms for first year is on campus within the safe village. 2nd and 3rd year, just find a place on the 25 bus route!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saenlt)
    i see. anyhows it's down to how you wanna view. people filled places can both be safe and unsafe. so i guess this leaves with whether u prefer city life or the countryside-ish life. hmm. what are the pros and cons?
    I must say that Durham isn't in the countryside as such. It's still a city and is close to two major cities. It just has some good countryside nearby and is still small, not built up.

Don't be under the impression that it's rural and doesn't offer many services.

ReputationRep:
    We've already discussed this and that's crap.

How can Durham be in "the middle of nowhere" when it's (farily) close to the fifth largest metropolitan area in the country (made up of two large conurbations)?
    I didn't say Durham was is in the middle of nowhere. I wasn't talking about Durham.

Edit: But now you mention it, it is a only 'city' because of the cathedral - without it it's an average sized town. Still, you can commute.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say Durham was is in the middle of nowhere. I wasn't talking about Durham.
    Well, sorry, but it was suggested by "You have to be careful. I'd hate to live in the middle of nowhere." when discussing crime stats (at a time that two cities were being compared).

It has been a criticism levelled at Durham before. Also Warwick which is even more ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    lol every area has gangs, even then the Mile End Boyz don't really do anything apart from pay football, and deliver pizzas :rolleyes: Your clearly oblivious.

I never said Durham is any less safe, but you thinking Mile End at night is a warzone is ridiculous, I feel more safe here than my home in Kingston...:rolleyes:

It being student-y doesn't make it less safe, Mile End is always busy...your never alone, besides if your acting in a fashion and being reckless you almost deserve to be mugged etc.

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Well, sorry, but it was suggested by "You have to be careful. I'd hate to live in the middle of nowhere." when discussing crime stats (at a time that two cities were being compared).

It has been a criticism levelled at Durham before. Also Warwick which is even more ludicrous.
    Sorry if I confused you.

Hmmm...I think it's a valid one personally. And for Warwick as well. But I don't want to get into this. I'm sure pretty much everything you need is in Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I confused you.

Hmmm...I think it's a valid one personally. And for Warwick as well. But I don't want to get into this. I'm sure pretty much everything you need is in Durham.
    With Warwick Uni you're at the edge of Coventry. Yes it is campus based but you can be in Coventry itself within half an hour. It still forms part of the massive W.Midlands metro area. Living in Durham (which, as I said earlier, caters from most needs so few feel the need to leave) you can be in Newcastle in 12 minutes. You only need to travel fifteen miles until you get into very urban and built up areas.

I wouldn't even consider this as being partiuclarly isolated (and it's very rural)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...98755&t=h&z=11

But that's just been my uprbinging I suppose. By that I mean the environments I've been use to.

By the way, saenlt, take no notice of that map link. It's got nothing to do with Durham directly. I'll stop going off topic now

ReputationRep:
    Gangs are a rarity in small towns like Durham. Most of the members might do little more than deliver pizzas, but some are people I would rather not have anywhere near me. As for oblivious, my hometown is Shottingham. Need I say more.
    As River85 showed, you have quadruple the crime statistics. Quite a big difference.
    If my hometown is anything to go by, student areas tend to be rather undesirable to live in. I know that for example the burglaries are sky high in say Lenton, which is studentland in Nottingham.
    Sorry, how does it stink? At least I am not ********ting about how safe the area which i go to uni actually is.

ReputationRep:
    Just like the supposed rough Mile End Park is avoidable...you just don't go?

Besides, accoms for first year is on campus within the safe village. 2nd and 3rd year, just find a place on the 25 bus route!
    In Durham livers out don't have to even catch a bus to get into uni. And we can walk home happily from whichever club we go to, its perfectly safe to do it alone. Asides, North Road is far from a no go area.

ReputationRep:
    All I was saying was, Mile End isn't half as bad as people make it out to be. And on campus it feels all cosy and warm hahaha. And its a 10 minute tube ride from central London...the most exciting place in the UK with endless things to do. Can Durham say the same....fair enough i do love Newcastle but seeing as I have lived here for 20 years I can safely say I have done EVERYTHING. Also WHAT about windy gap in Durham? My friend told me it was like rape alley down there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minelli)
    i do love Newcastle but seeing as I have lived here for 20 years I can safely say I have done EVERYTHING..
    Fair enough, not the OP though.

(Original post by minelli)
    Also WHAT about windy gap in Durham? My friend told me it was like rape alley down there.
    Your friend talks crap, quite frankly. Even so, it's not somewhere that you need to really go, is it?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 25, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.