Is this a respectable A-Level option?

Watch
OnAndOff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Maths Economics and Sociology, I would've taken Physics instead of Sociology however I heard it's extremely difficult (the most difficult science in fact) which slightly limits my options in terms of degrees.
cheerIeader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes. Sociology is a respectable subject which involves a ton of memorisation and very interesting topics. I loved it.
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally I'd say that sociology isn't as well respected as other humanities like history, geography or English literature, but it's still a good option nonetheless
OnAndOff
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheerIeader)
Yes. Sociology is a respectable subject which involves a ton of memorisation and very interesting topics. I loved it.
I agree that it's a respectable subject but do you think it fits well with my other subjects?
yoch_wint
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
sociology is still useful and nobody has to take 3 "respectable" subjects anyways tbh
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anomalyronn)
I agree that it's a respectable subject but do you think it fits well with my other subjects?
100%.. Economics is also a social science so the two are quite fitting and Maths is one of the toughest A-Levels anyway so you'll have that edge.

You have two very tough/respectable A-Levels, so it's best to have Sociology (not to say it isn't tough, but perhaps less tough). It involves a lot of memorisation but that aside I think you're likely to really enjoy it too. It was one of, if not my favourite. Yes, it is arguably easy to get a good grade in it but that comes with a ton of effort too.
OnAndOff
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Personally I'd say that sociology isn't as well respected as other humanities like history, geography or English literature, but it's still a good option nonetheless
Is there a lot of work load with English Language, also how challenging do you think Chemistry is in comparison to Physics and Biology or just harder subjects in general
babatunde_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OnAndOff)
Maths Economics and Sociology, I would've taken Physics instead of Sociology however I heard it's extremely difficult (the most difficult science in fact) which slightly limits my options in terms of degrees.
I take the exact same A-levels as you and let me tell you that even though it may not be as respected, it come and bite you in the ass if you neglect it and leave the work to the very end. I spent loads of time on maths and economics and ended up going down a grade in sociology. It’s not intellectually challenging but I would say just make a huge effort in memorising the content and you should be good.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s entirely up to know what A levels you wish to do based on what you enjoy and what you wish to do in the future.

Don’t let people tell you your choices are not respectable or are wrong.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Personally I'd say that sociology isn't as well respected
Sociology is highly valued by top Universities - its a good 'essay based subject' that also shows evidence of analytical and research skills.

Universities have dumped the concept of 'facilitating subjects' - do keep up. https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...s-subjects-hit
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OnAndOff)
Any ideas about what you want to do in the future? Its always a good idea to check University entrance requirements for your intended degree subject. There are no 'secrets' - Unis will give clear information about what A level subjects are essential or 'preferred'.

If you enjoy a subject you are far more likely to get a good grade.
If Physics is 'hard' for you, then any degree that relies on it is also likely to be a struggle.
username5420160
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I started 6th form off with those EXACT A-levels (I've changed from Maths to Law since then).
But I 100% agree!
(Original post by babatunde_)
I take the exact same A-levels as you and let me tell you that even though it may not be as respected, it come and bite you in the ass if you neglect it and leave the work to the very end. I spent loads of time on maths and economics and ended up going down a grade in sociology. It’s not intellectually challenging but I would say just make a huge effort in memorising the content and you should be good.
OnAndOff
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This was nearly a year ago and let me tell you my subjects are COMPLETELY different.. lol I do Psychology, Philosophy and IT..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.17%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.94%

Watched Threads