d3vkfc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
what's the difference between cell surface membrane and phospholipid bilayer membranes proteins. I don't understand
Trumbles
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Not sure I'm understanding your question.
The cell membrane consists primarily of a double layer (bilayer) of phospholipid molecules. Phospholipids are lipids (fats/oils) with a phosphate group added or swapped in.

There are some proteins embedded amongst the phospholipid molecules. These can move around amongst the phospholipid molecules (which is where the 'fluid' bit comes from in the phrase 'fluid mosaic model' if you've heard that). The proteins are mostly important for transporting substances in or out of the cell which would not otherwise diffuse through the phospholipid bilayer.

Proteins are different types of molecule from phospholipid. For one thing, they contain different elements. Llipids contain carbon, hydrogen and oxygen only, plus phosphorus in phospholipid. Proteins contain carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen, and sometimes sulfur.
d3vkfc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trumbles)
Not sure I'm understanding your question.
The cell membrane consists primarily of a double layer (bilayer) of phospholipid molecules. Phospholipids are lipids (fats/oils) with a phosphate group added or swapped in.

There are some proteins embedded amongst the phospholipid molecules. These can move around amongst the phospholipid molecules (which is where the 'fluid' bit comes from in the phrase 'fluid mosaic model' if you've heard that). The proteins are mostly important for transporting substances in or out of the cell which would not otherwise diffuse through the phospholipid bilayer.

Proteins are different types of molecule from phospholipid. For one thing, they contain different elements. Llipids contain carbon, hydrogen and oxygen only, plus phosphorus in phospholipid. Proteins contain carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen, and sometimes sulfur.
-evaluate the following statement.
‘The variety of different proteins present in the cell surface membrane makes them more important than the phospholipid bilayer to the functioning of that cell.’-
so this question confused me, I understood the phospholipid bilayer but I swear that this phospholipid bilayer was what made the cell surface membrane
Med3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There are a lot of cell surface proteins embedded in the membrane, channel proteins etc that allow control of substances by facilitated diffusion and active transport
thedecorator33
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by d3vkfc)
-evaluate the following statement.
‘The variety of different proteins present in the cell surface membrane makes them more important than the phospholipid bilayer to the functioning of that cell.’-
so this question confused me, I understood the phospholipid bilayer but I swear that this phospholipid bilayer was what made the cell surface membrane
The phospholipid bilayer is a component of the cell surface membrane. The cell surface membrane is made up of the phospholipid bilayer amongst other things such as proteins and cholesterol. You need to compare the different proteins of a cell surface membrane (e.g. glycoproteins, channel proteins, carrier proteins) to the phospholipid bilayer part of the membrane.
d3vkfc
Rep:
?
yep that makes a lot more sense, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (142)
15.81%
Uncertainty around my education (146)
16.26%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (86)
9.58%
Isolating with family (61)
6.79%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.67%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (79)
8.8%
Loneliness (90)
10.02%
Financial worries (38)
4.23%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (81)
9.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (61)
6.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (81)
9.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed