Kelsi Talbot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I would like to study music a level and music technology, is philosophy and physics good to study with them? Or is physics not very useful without maths?
CerysWeris
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’ve been looking round sixth forms and I’ve heard that if you take physics, you must take maths otherwise it will be too difficult. So if you wanted to do physics you’d have to take maths with it instead of philosophy or you could pick a different two options along with your music subjects. If you have some open evenings to go to then it would be a good idea to ask the physics teachers there and see what they say or ask your physics teacher at your current school.
I hope this helps 😁
Kelsi Talbot
Rep:
?
(Original post by CerysWeris)
I’ve been looking round sixth forms and I’ve heard that if you take physics, you must take maths otherwise it will be too difficult. So if you wanted to do physics you’d have to take maths with it instead of philosophy or you could pick a different two options along with your music subjects. If you have some open evenings to go to then it would be a good idea to ask the physics teachers there and see what they say or ask your physics teacher at your current school.
I hope this helps 😁
thanks, is music okay to take without physics?
CerysWeris
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Kelsi Talbot)
Yes, you can take music without physics 😊
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You would be severely limited options-wise in pursuing physics if you haven't studied maths. You'd actually have better luck (if you were more leaning towards the theoretical side) doing physics through a maths degree without physics a-level. If it's something that you take just because you enjoy it, then sure take A-level physics without maths. If your maths background is strong, you won't need A-level maths since the physics course is designed for maths not to be co-requisite. Any knowledge from a-level maths (of which there is quite little), will be taught from scratch.
nikebag
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Kelsi Talbot)
Music is absolutely fine without physics, although maths is a good combination with both philosophy and music
Kelsi Talbot
Rep:
?
(Original post by nikebag)
Music is absolutely fine without physics, although maths is a good combination with both philosophy and music
thanks, I've just heard that physics goes very well with music tech, and universities like it
Kelsi Talbot
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
You would be severely limited options-wise in pursuing physics if you haven't studied maths. You'd actually have better luck (if you were more leaning towards the theoretical side) doing physics through a maths degree without physics a-level. If it's something that you take just because you enjoy it, then sure take A-level physics without maths. If your maths background is strong, you won't need A-level maths since the physics course is designed for maths not to be co-requisite. Any knowledge from a-level maths (of which there is quite little), will be taught from scratch.
thank you, this is very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads