The Student Room Group

Boyfriend will forget to get me a Christmas gift.

Without sounding petty or childish, I want to vent about this.
So I love my boyfriend and he loves me but he’s very cheap and forgetful. Basically for Christmas I’ve spent £20 on a hoodie for him and I’ve also spent days painting his dog (which he knows I’m doing and how much I’ve spent)
He says “suppose I’ll have to get you a gift too”
When I finished the painting I told him and he says he’s still not got me anything and has no idea what to get me. I told him to just think of what I like to which he said “idk”
He forgets everything I tell him and so acts like he doesn’t really know my interests. They only gift he’s ever got me (and the only time he’s spent money on me over the course of our 9 month relationship) he’s bought me a necklace for my birthday (roughly under £20)
I asked if he had any ideas recently and he said “idk I might get you a bracelet or something”
Firstly I never actually wear jewellery and secondly, knowing him it’ll be a cheap purchase with no thought put into it. Either that or, since it seems he keeps forgetting about the fact he said he’ll get me a gift, the way it’s looking is he won’t actually get me anything and forget, after I’ve worked so hard at this painting and on top of it still spent money on him. I will feel hurt if he forgets, purely because it shows his lack of effort to even remember, let alone put any thought into it in comparison to my effort. He says he’s looking forward to getting the painting and that he’s going to love it but still I don’t think he’ll return the sentiment. He is never really capable of going all out and has some aversion to spending money, even though he has a fair bit and isn’t struggling financially. He just refuses to be lenient in some situations, for example when it comes to being creative or something he naturally isn’t, he won’t even try. Same goes for remembering things even when they’re important to the people around him.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe he might be trying to surprise you?
If he forgets. Then forget him.
Reply 3
Original post by Med3
Maybe he might be trying to surprise you?

That is the least likely thing to happen ngl
Original post by Anonymous
Without sounding petty or childish, I want to vent about this.
So I love my boyfriend and he loves me but he’s very cheap and forgetful. Basically for Christmas I’ve spent £20 on a hoodie for him and I’ve also spent days painting his dog (which he knows I’m doing and how much I’ve spent)
He says “suppose I’ll have to get you a gift too”
When I finished the painting I told him and he says he’s still not got me anything and has no idea what to get me. I told him to just think of what I like to which he said “idk”
He forgets everything I tell him and so acts like he doesn’t really know my interests. They only gift he’s ever got me (and the only time he’s spent money on me over the course of our 9 month relationship) he’s bought me a necklace for my birthday (roughly under £20)
I asked if he had any ideas recently and he said “idk I might get you a bracelet or something”
Firstly I never actually wear jewellery and secondly, knowing him it’ll be a cheap purchase with no thought put into it. Either that or, since it seems he keeps forgetting about the fact he said he’ll get me a gift, the way it’s looking is he won’t actually get me anything and forget, after I’ve worked so hard at this painting and on top of it still spent money on him. I will feel hurt if he forgets, purely because it shows his lack of effort to even remember, let alone put any thought into it in comparison to my effort. He says he’s looking forward to getting the painting and that he’s going to love it but still I don’t think he’ll return the sentiment. He is never really capable of going all out and has some aversion to spending money, even though he has a fair bit and isn’t struggling financially. He just refuses to be lenient in some situations, for example when it comes to being creative or something he naturally isn’t, he won’t even try. Same goes for remembering things even when they’re important to the people around him.

If he isnt willing to put any effort in then why did you waste the time on him? More fool you. He doesnt really care about you and you wont last.

I dont think gifts are that important as £ of themselves, but its more it signifies he has gone to some effort to try and make you happy when it appears he cant be bothered. You may be surprised, but a bf should behave like a friend and your happiness should be important for him. He doesnt want to make the effort so you are foolish wasting time on him.

Its a relationship you choose to stay in. he obviously knows how you feel. Is it the relationship you want or would you like better?
Reply 5
it doesn't sound petty or childish to me. people in relationships give each other things/do nice things for each other to show their love and affection, celebrate their relationship etc etc. plus if you celebrate Christmas, then gifts for most people comes with the territory. if you're the one doing the giving and he 'knows' that's part of Christmas then i mean, what are his excuses tbh.

i don't have any advice. just saying i can imagine your frustration. maybe he'll surprise you this year? :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
If he isnt willing to put any effort in then why did you waste the time on him? More fool you. He doesnt really care about you and you wont last.

I dont think gifts are that important as £ of themselves, but its more it signifies he has gone to some effort to try and make you happy when it appears he cant be bothered. You may be surprised, but a bf should behave like a friend and your happiness should be important for him. He doesnt want to make the effort so you are foolish wasting time on him.

Its a relationship you choose to stay in. he obviously knows how you feel. Is it the relationship you want or would you like better?

Original post by Joleee
it doesn't sound petty or childish to me. people in relationships give each other things/do nice things for each other to show their love and affection, celebrate their relationship etc etc. plus if you celebrate Christmas, then gifts for most people comes with the territory. if you're the one doing the giving and he 'knows' that's part of Christmas then i mean, what are his excuses tbh.

i don't have any advice. just saying i can imagine your frustration. maybe he'll surprise you this year? :redface:

He shows me love and affection though just not through materialistic things. It’s just this one massive issue that he forgets things that are important to me and won’t put in effort to at least try and remember. He tells me it’s hard to rewire your brain to remember things when I tell him that if it was that important he would go out of his way to try harder. He could write stuff down, set reminders, ask other people to remind him but he just doesn’t go this little extra step just to make sure. It’s just the way he is, he won’t do things with his own initiative and on his won accord. Only when people tell him to do something. It’s frustrating and I don’t know what to do about it because he’s always reassuring me of his feelings but won’t put in a little extra effort. And on the rare occasion he will, he goes on like he is such a saint and will bring it up constantly in the future.
He shows me love and affection though just not through materialistic things. It’s just this one massive issue that he forgets things that are important to me and won’t put in effort to at least try and remember. He tells me it’s hard to rewire your brain to remember things when I tell him that if it was that important he would go out of his way to try harder. He could write stuff down, set reminders, ask other people to remind him but he just doesn’t go this little extra step just to make sure. It’s just the way he is, he won’t do things with his own initiative and on his won accord. Only when people tell him to do something. It’s frustrating and I don’t know what to do about it because he’s always reassuring me of his feelings but won’t put in a little extra effort. And on the rare occasion he will, he goes on like he is such a saint and will bring it up constantly in the future.

Feeble excuse imo, better than otherway round, but is it really any effort to spend 30 mins choosing a gift based on who you are and what you might like. No nagging just a happy gf that hes shown some consideration and made an effort. Not as though you are demanding £100-£200.
I just wouldnt buy his gift.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Feeble excuse imo, better than otherway round, but is it really any effort to spend 30 mins choosing a gift based on who you are and what you might like. No nagging just a happy gf that hes shown some consideration and made an effort. Not as though you are demanding £100-£200.
I just wouldnt buy his gift.

We’re going to our local city on the weekend and he told me to choose something I want him to get for me. It’s nice and all, but I’m a sentimental person and prefer when a gift is picked out for you as a surprise, like if he were to choose it cause he thinks I would like it. This is an achievement in itself however since he doesn’t usually take me out to places and has also said he would take me for food as well. It’s nothing fancy and I’ll be paying for my own meal but I’m glad it’s something. If he’s generally not very lenient and he’s asked to do this with me for my sake even if it’s not really his thing, I’m grateful enough for that.
We’re going to our local city on the weekend and he told me to choose something I want him to get for me. It’s nice and all, but I’m a sentimental person and prefer when a gift is picked out for you as a surprise, like if he were to choose it cause he thinks I would like it. This is an achievement in itself however since he doesn’t usually take me out to places and has also said he would take me for food as well. It’s nothing fancy and I’ll be paying for my own meal but I’m glad it’s something. If he’s generally not very lenient and he’s asked to do this with me for my sake even if it’s not really his thing, I’m grateful enough for that.

You set your standards too low and do yourself a disservice. Hew should grow up and not be so selfish. better he try and fail with the present if you like surprise. All seems too much effort to me. Life too short for this sort of nonsense.
Just take him somewhere, tell him you want him to buy you x specific thing, then tell him to wrap it for you. At least then you'll know you're getting something, and that it's something you actually want.

Also what do you mean "painting his dog"???
Reply 11

is Christmas new to your boyfriend? does he not exchange Christmas gifts each year with his family so it doesn't occur to him to do it?

you could actually give each other a Christmas list, like what you'd give Santa or your family, of what you want for Christmas. it's not uncommon for couples to do that. and then he has no excuses.

or you could change your expectations of your boyfriend, i.e. he won't change so you will have to. i don't understand this forgetting things that are important to you and not putting in effort tho. sounds like he's happy to take but not give in return, which for most people would drive them crazy and is probably the number one reason for divorce. he needs reminders to do things etc but do you want to be his parent for the rest of your relationship or do you want to be his partner?
He sounds like a typical guy to me. My dad used to recycle an anniversary card he bought in the 1950s for my mum every year.

She wasn’t very happy with his meanness and when she died suddenly he wished he had treated her better.

Your boyfriend also seems to lack imagination by asking you to choose what you want for Christmas. I would advise you to pick out something expensive. If he objects just say that makes up for all the years when you were a cheapskate.

If he refuses, dump him as a Christmas present to yourself.
I’m going to disagree with some things that have been said.
I think you’re putting too much emphasis on him choosing a gift. Not everyone can do it.
It’s not that he doesn’t care, he’s just not able to come up with ideas. There’s nothing wrong with that. This site is full of threads posting “what shall I buy for”
You’ve said yourself that you are sentimental and he isn’t. Don’t make him into something he isn’t.
Give him some ideas of what to buy you. It’s really not a big deal
Reply 14

You can't fundamentally change people. This shows that he understands it's important to you and has thought about what he can do to make you happy.
If the way he is on this is very important to you, you'll have to find someone else who is more on your wavelength about it.
But if his other qualities make up for it, do some work yourself to make his suggestion a lovely together experience and start your own christmas traditions with it.
Have you come across the theory of love languages? Might help you put it in perspective.
Reply 15
Original post by artful_lounger
Just take him somewhere, tell him you want him to buy you x specific thing, then tell him to wrap it for you. At least then you'll know you're getting something, and that it's something you actually want.

Also what do you mean "painting his dog"???

I had this reaction too - I think maybe painting a picture of his dog?
I’ve also spent days painting his dog (which he knows I’m doing and how much I’ve spent)

So how does the dog feel about being covered in paint?

What would you like for Christmas, ideally from him?
Feel free to PM me his contact details and I'll send him a text or email saying "Hi, you don't know me. But that great girlfriend of yours, how about getting her this (link provided) for xmas? She'll be chuffed and over the moon when you give her this. BTW whatever you do, don't buy her another necklace as she's not into wearing jewellery and has no interest in getting-in to wearing it :smile:."

Looking ahead, if the 2 of you are incompatible when it comes to your attitude to money and finances, then there is no happy long term future for you.
Original post by 2500_2
I had this reaction too - I think maybe painting a picture of his dog?

Tbf I literally thought they were painting ON the dog, for some reason - I think you can get pet friendly stuff for that? Painting a picture of the dog makes much more sense though :redface:
Maybe you need to ask for something specific. My fiance always complains that i am difficult to buy for and although i usually like whatever he gets, he finds it easier if i tell him exactly or even sometimes go with him to buy it. He went into Pandora to buy a ring that i'd asked for for my birthday an when the assistant asked what colour i wanted and what size I needed he didn't know either so he ended up having to take me and as it turned out they didn't have the size in stock. Kind of hoping he has used his initiative and ordered it for Christmas. I know some people think going with him to choose your present spoils the surprise but at least you'll get something you want and he can't forget.
Maybe he's the sort of person who just doesn't get into the spirit of things this early. Christmas shopping is a chore when you're not in the mood. I've shopped very late some years because I just didn't feel very Christmassy until a few days before.

Latest

Trending

Trending