sekular
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For the 2019/20 academic year, can an adult dependent be a parent? A parent who is claiming income-based JSA in the current financial year 2019/20? The weekly amounts received are £73.10 and £3801.20 would be the maximum amount possible that can be claimed over the whole tax year. During the 2017/18 , which is the year usually referred to for calculation purposes, the said parent had earnings of £5000.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sekular)
For the 2019/20 academic year, can an adult dependent be a parent? A parent who is claiming income-based JSA in the current financial year 2019/20? The weekly amounts received are £73.10 and £3801.20 would be the maximum amount possible that can be claimed over the whole tax year. During the 2017/18 , which is the year usually referred to for calculation purposes, the said parent had earnings of £5000.
Hello

After looking on the student finance website I have had a look and found the following information which will be useful:

To qualify for Adult Dependants’ Grant the student must:
- be studying an eligible full-time undergraduate or Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- have applied for, or be getting funding from Student Finance England that’s based on their household income
- be a permanent resident in England

Usually the adult dependant will be their husband, wife, partner or civil partner, but we may consider some circumstances where another adult is financially dependent on them.

If they’re under 25, the adult dependant can’t be their partner unless they’re married or in a civil partnership.

They won’t be eligible if the adult dependant is:

- their child
- earns more than £3,796 a year
- getting student finance

It is not listed anywhere that a parents cannot be the dependent however as you have stated that their income was much higher in the previous tax year which they do usually ask for.

It is worth maybe clarifying whether or not JSA is taken into consideration and whether or not they can use the 19/20 income if it has significantly dropped. They are contactable by telephone which might get your query answered a bit faster.

I hope this helps.

Patrick :lep:
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sekular)
Hi there,

Who is the adult dependent in relation to the student?

Thanks,
Nihad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (43)
23.24%
My career doesn't need one (25)
13.51%
I'm sick of studying (38)
20.54%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.7%
I don't know enough about them (13)
7.03%
Nothing, I'm going to do it! (61)
32.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise