aishokthen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I just got an offer from bristol to study psychology if I get the grades ABB. Bristol's standard offer for psychology is A*AA and it does say on their website that ABB would be their contextual offer. There's nothing on my offer to indicate it's contextual though and I shouldn't logically be getting a contextual offer: I go to a state school in a middle class area who get decent grades as far as I'm aware, my parents are well off and the town I live in might not be as middle class as the town I go to school in but I wouldn't say it was typically deprived (it's a rural town in the middle of wiltshire). I just don't really understand why the offer is so much lower when bristol is a popular university and psychology is a popular course so I was wondering what other people thought and what offers other people might have had.
Freckled-Girl31
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
When my sister applied to a RG uni last year (I forget which), she had this same thing - much lower grade offers than she expected. Her college tutor at the time said that it might be in response to that year's predicted grades? So maybe mock exams for Psychology across the country showed people in your year group to be struggling so they lowered the requirement? I'd email admissions to double check though.
ChineseChinese
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by aishokthen)
I just got an offer from bristol to study psychology if I get the grades ABB. Bristol's standard offer for psychology is A*AA and it does say on their website that ABB would be their contextual offer. There's nothing on my offer to indicate it's contextual though and I shouldn't logically be getting a contextual offer: I go to a state school in a middle class area who get decent grades as far as I'm aware, my parents are well off and the town I live in might not be as middle class as the town I go to school in but I wouldn't say it was typically deprived (it's a rural town in the middle of wiltshire). I just don't really understand why the offer is so much lower when bristol is a popular university and psychology is a popular course so I was wondering what other people thought and what offers other people might have had.
This is actually common. A student in my year who is president / done a ton of cool stuff with his life got an offer of CCC for a Uni thats AAA. Its about how much the uni wants you.
Rover5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Bristol has a list of schools on their website that attract a contextual offer. About 40% of all schools are on it. So you might be surprised. Some are just schools that don't send as many as they would expect on to HE.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
what appears to be the case, is that since the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition government scrapped caps on uni places, universities have responded by lowering their standards dramatically to get more bums on seats just for more $$$$$$$$$$. in other words even the most prestigious universities outside the top 5 or so have no conditions other than for you to have a pulse (to exaggerate wildly)
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You will have attracted a contextual offer for some reason, I wouldn't question it if I were you! Psychology is an extremely competitive course and they will have made their standard A*AA offer to lots of other people.

(If you do want to question it, ask Bristol Admissions and they will tell you the reason they gave you a contextual)
dj_ad_1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think its fine. I just received an offer to do engineering at QMUL even though i didnt meet the entry requirements I was about 2 grades off.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It very much looks like a contextual offer probably based on your school

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...own-heading0-0

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...own-heading0-1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads