Shed_the_unique
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey
Can you give me some examples of what you study in psychology GCSE and how much does it actually link to science. Also is it worth taking it ( is it worth the work, do universities value it etc.)

Thanks
amelieew28
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hiya! i self-studied gcse psychology and i did the aqa spec. it covers 8 topics, 4 per paper and they are memory, perception, development, research methods, social influence, language and communication, biopsychology and psychological disorders.

i would say that there is actually quite a lot of science in the qualification, both stuff that links into biology gcse but it does also go slightly beyond.

in terms of benefits, if you’re planning on taking psychology a level then it’s fantastic as you’ve got all the basic knowledge of psychology key terms etc. and also there’s a ton of overlap which is great (i.e. practically the whole memory topic). however, i don’t think that it would be super helpful in terms of university because they don’t really look back as far to gcses. if you’re planning on applying to competitive sixth forms though then it is a huge advantage.

hope this was helpful!! if you want more info about the content i suggest checking the specification on the aqa website. )
amelieew28
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by amelieew28)
hiya! i self-studied gcse psychology and i did the aqa spec. it covers 8 topics, 4 per paper and they are memory, perception, development, research methods, social influence, language and communication, biopsychology and psychological disorders.

i would say that there is actually quite a lot of science in the qualification, both stuff that links into biology gcse but it does also go slightly beyond.

in terms of benefits, if you’re planning on taking psychology a level then it’s fantastic as you’ve got all the basic knowledge of psychology key terms etc. and also there’s a ton of overlap which is great (i.e. practically the whole memory topic). however, i don’t think that it would be super helpful in terms of university because they don’t really look back as far to gcses. if you’re planning on applying to competitive sixth forms though then it is a huge advantage.

hope this was helpful!! if you want more info about the content i suggest checking the specification on the aqa website. )
oh and one more thing, i would say that the work load isn’t monumental given that the subject content is not the most difficult to understand. as long as you make a timetable and stick to it so you know you’ve learnt and reviewed all the content by the time the exam comes around then you should be fine.
Shed_the_unique
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by amelieew28)

Thx soooooo much that was so helpful 😁
amelieew28
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Shed_the_unique)
Thx soooooo much that was so helpful 😁
ur welcome!! good luck if you do decide to do it! 😄😄
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (72)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
16.95%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
9.01%
Isolating with family (28)
6.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.08%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.15%
Loneliness (46)
9.87%
Financial worries (16)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (45)
9.66%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (48)
10.3%

Watched Threads