The Student Room Group

Find the gradient of the line QP first. You know the coords of Q and also P, so just find the gradient between two points ?
Original post by RDKGames
Find the gradient of the line QP first. You know the coords of Q and also P, so just find the gradient between two points ?

Alright, I've got the gradient ( or tan theta) to be equal to 2t/ t^2 -1 . I'm not sure about the angle part. My intitial thoughts were to somehow use the fact that PR is parallel to the x- axis or to somehow use SOHCAHTOA to manipulate my tan theta into a sin theta or cos theta, but I don't know the exact lengths of the sides of the triangle.
Original post by Robertisdank
Alright, I've got the gradient ( or tan theta) to be equal to 2t/ t^2 -1 . I'm not sure about the angle part. My intitial thoughts were to somehow use the fact that PR is parallel to the x- axis or to somehow use SOHCAHTOA to manipulate my tan theta into a sin theta or cos theta, but I don't know the exact lengths of the sides of the triangle.

Be careful, tan theta is 1/t.

What you have found is gradient PQ which is also equivalent to tan phi.

The simplest thing to do here is just sub in t=1/tan theta into this gradient PQ

Hence, you will obtain tan phi in terms of tan theta, and you should be able to spot a double angle expression sitting there hence being able to show that

tan phi = tan 2theta and and so phi = 2theta.
Original post by RDKGames
Be careful, tan theta is 1/t.

What you have found is gradient PQ which is also equivalent to tan phi.

The simplest thing to do here is just sub in t=1/tan theta into this gradient PQ

Hence, you will obtain tan phi in terms of tan theta, and you should be able to spot a double angle expression sitting there hence being able to show that

tan phi = tan 2theta and and so phi = 2theta.

Ah, okay. I see it now. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest