ellaxjonez
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am a year 12 student hoping to study veterinary medicine a university and therefore am trying to get as much work experience as possible. I currently volunteer at a cattery and have arranged for some practise over Christmas at a vet practise. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any lambing farms that would take on a student will no experience? I am from Cheshire but could travel
Torigracex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Best bet is just to contact all the ones you can find online/ask at the practice if they know anyone and see who’ll take you! If you can’t get any it isn’t too big of a deal (I’ve never seen lambing and I’ve got an offer for Bristol vet med already so far), it’s more about how much you can talk about what you have seen rather than sheer volume of what you’ve seen. Hope this helps x
Georgiaw1092
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ellaxjonez)
Hi, I am a year 12 student hoping to study veterinary medicine a university and therefore am trying to get as much work experience as possible. I currently volunteer at a cattery and have arranged for some practise over Christmas at a vet practise. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any lambing farms that would take on a student will no experience? I am from Cheshire but could travel
I’m also in year 12 and I’m trying to get as much as I can in a year. Have you tried looking at the National Sheep Association (lambing work experience). I was offered 4/5 weeks from different farmers but I only managed to accept 2 weeks because of my school being strict. I would also recommend asking a local farm if you can volunteer because that’s how I’ve managed to get the more rural work experience through a diary farm that I regularly help out at ( another 2 weeks lambing and a large animal practice ). I didn’t know any farmers but managed to get a number of off a friend so maybe try asking around. Hope this helps and good luck.
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Georgiaw1092)
I’m also in year 12 and I’m trying to get as much as I can in a year. Have you tried looking at the National Sheep Association (lambing work experience). I was offered 4/5 weeks from different farmers but I only managed to accept 2 weeks because of my school being strict. I would also recommend asking a local farm if you can volunteer because that’s how I’ve managed to get the more rural work experience through a diary farm that I regularly help out at ( another 2 weeks lambing and a large animal practice ). I didn’t know any farmers but managed to get a number of off a friend so maybe try asking around. Hope this helps and good luck.
Are you missing school to do lambing? If so this isn't something I would recommend. Lambing isn't essential to an application, the correct grades are.
Georgiaw1092
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope, even if I wanted to my school wouldn’t let me
ellaxjonez
Rep:
?
yep I tried that and the nearest one to me the lambing period was already over and it required 4 weeks with experience anyway. I'm trying to ask around at the moment because him struggling to find anywhere local : (
ellaxjonez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Torigracex)
Best bet is just to contact all the ones you can find online/ask at the practice if they know anyone and see who’ll take you! If you can’t get any it isn’t too big of a deal (I’ve never seen lambing and I’ve got an offer for Bristol vet med already so far), it’s more about how much you can talk about what you have seen rather than sheer volume of what you’ve seen. Hope this helps x
okay thankyou! how much work experience did you do and where did you do it?
Torigracex
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
okay thankyou! how much work experience did you do and where did you do it?
I had one week in a chicken labs and one week on a chicken farm (over 3 years ago tho so don’t count for some unis), two weeks in small animal vets, one week small animal nurses in the practice, one week in a small animal, large animal and equine mixed practice, one week on a pony camp and two weeks on a sheep, dairy and beef cattle farm. I also work as a vets practice receptionist! I did have to sacrifice my year 12 summer and most of my half term/full term holidays 😅😅
Georgiaw1092
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yep I tried that and the nearest one to me the lambing period was already over and it required 4 weeks with experience anyway. I'm trying to ask around at the moment because him struggling to find anywhere local : (
awh no, I mean I could always check with the diary farm I go to see if I can give out their number, so I could message you it. They take on students on the holidays and they get to stay for a week or so. I think Cheshire is about an hour and a half away from where the farm is. It’s not lambing but they manage to introduce me to some sheep farmers that then took me on for lambing.
Georgiaw1092
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had one week in a chicken labs and one week on a chicken farm (over 3 years ago tho so don’t count for some unis), two weeks in small animal vets, one week small animal nurses in the practice, one week in a small animal, large animal and equine mixed practice, one week on a pony camp and two weeks on a sheep, dairy and beef cattle farm. I also work as a vets practice receptionist! I did have to sacrifice my year 12 summer and most of my half term/full term holidays 😅😅
Wow that’s impressive! I only just decided I wanted to become a vet in September, so I’m not sure if I’ve managed to get enough. I was hoping to apply to Bristol. So far I’ve managed to get
- 1 week dairy farm ( ongoing )
- 1 week monkey sanctuary ( ongoing)
- 4 weeks lambing
-2 + at a stables ( I don’t know if this counts but I wanted some as I’ve never owned a horse)
- 1 week at a commercial farm
- 2 weeks at a small animal practice at 2 different vets
-1 week at a large animal practice
- still to confirm dates to help out at a kennels in summer but probably 1/2 weeks
Any advice on what other experience I should try get would be helpful.
Torigracex
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow that’s impressive! I only just decided I wanted to become a vet in September, so I’m not sure if I’ve managed to get enough. I was hoping to apply to Bristol. So far I’ve managed to get
- 1 week dairy farm ( ongoing )
- 1 week monkey sanctuary ( ongoing)
- 4 weeks lambing
-2 + at a stables ( I don’t know if this counts but I wanted some as I’ve never owned a horse)
- 1 week at a commercial farm
- 2 weeks at a small animal practice at 2 different vets
-1 week at a large animal practice
- still to confirm dates to help out at a kennels in summer but probably 1/2 weeks
Any advice on what other experience I should try get would be helpful.
Without giving any actual details about the Bristol application questions, the work experience you have there will be fine, they only ask for one week vet and one week animal husbandry. For all universities, make sure you do extra curricular activities because they actually care about them as well! So try and get involved in whatever you can this year and the beginning of year 12. When it comes for interviews (Bristol don’t do them) you need to know a good amount about all the different things you’ve seen so take note of any interesting things you’ve seen to learn more about x
ellaxjonez
Rep:
?
wow! thats a lot! I have only recently decided I want to be a vet so I am trying to get as much work experience as possible
ellaxjonez
Rep:
?
awh no, I mean I could always check with the diary farm I go to see if I can give out their number, so I could message you it. They take on students on the holidays and they get to stay for a week or so. I think Cheshire is about an hour and a half away from where the farm is. It’s not lambing but they manage to introduce me to some sheep farmers that then took me on for lambing.
that would be great! thankyou so much! also do you know where you did lambing and if it was in the same area?
Torigracex
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
wow! thats a lot! I have only recently decided I want to be a vet so I am trying to get as much work experience as possible
As I think I might have said, it’s more about what you can talk about from your work experience rather than the sheer volume that you’ve done so don’t stress too much about it! xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (124)
27.37%
1 (68)
15.01%
2 (70)
15.45%
3 (73)
16.11%
4 (35)
7.73%
5 (30)
6.62%
6 (17)
3.75%
7+ (36)
7.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise