How to survive a 6 week Christmas holiday? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Today was my last class of the uni semester. Got some exams and coursework to finish for the remainder of the week. After that, I'm finished until the 3rd week of January.

Uni has been a tough but enjoyable ride over the past 3 months. I have genuinely enjoyed it even if I did find the transition challenging. I live at home so I've not really befriended folks yet but I am enjoying being around new people.

I love Christmas itself but this time of the year always frankly makes me miserable since the only people that I see during the holidays are family and there is always nothing to do. I always hated the Christmas holidays when I was at school but they were only 2 weeks long whereas I am now off for over a month. I don't mind summer but can't stand Christmas.

How can I survive these holidays? The lack of human contact really gets to me and I just feel lonely. Even though I'm not exactly close to people at uni, I do want to be around others.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make a list of things you want to do during the holiday. Do you have friends nearby?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
Make a list of things you want to do during the holiday. Do you have friends nearby?
I haven't got any friends at all.
evanlee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh I envy you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Get a full time job for 6 weeks?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps do some volunteering or see if you can get a job? New hobby? (New language, learn an instrument, take up knitting, writing, art, etc.).Make some plans to go to nearby cities? Spend time with family? There's a whole world out there, lots of things to do. See what seems interesting and go for it.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Today was my last class of the uni semester. Got some exams and coursework to finish for the remainder of the week. After that, I'm finished until the 3rd week of January.

Uni has been a tough but enjoyable ride over the past 3 months. I have genuinely enjoyed it even if I did find the transition challenging. I live at home so I've not really befriended folks yet but I am enjoying being around new people.

I love Christmas itself but this time of the year always frankly makes me miserable since the only people that I see during the holidays are family and there is always nothing to do. I always hated the Christmas holidays when I was at school but they were only 2 weeks long whereas I am now off for over a month. I don't mind summer but can't stand Christmas.

How can I survive these holidays? The lack of human contact really gets to me and I just feel lonely. Even though I'm not exactly close to people at uni, I do want to be around others.
ah wish i was on holiday right now
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
this time of the year always frankly makes me miserable since the only people that I see during the holidays are family and there is always nothing to do.
same
same

my solution? I only go home for a week. wouldn't be able to survive six weeks at home
sujmuk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Be ahead and go through the materials you will study after Christmas, trust me this is your chance.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
ure not alone, its nice 2 c some1 else who's like me!!!
i hated hols 4ever
i just dissociate
spend time outside
which year at uni r u
where u live we cld hang out!! im uni age too
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Volunteering definitely. For example the hostels and charities that help people without a home.
Anonymous #1
same

same

my solution? I only go home for a week. wouldn't be able to survive six weeks at home
I live at home so that isn't really an option.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I live at home so that isn't really an option.
oh. RIP
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pathway)
I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps do some volunteering or see if you can get a job? New hobby? (New language, learn an instrument, take up knitting, writing, art, etc.).Make some plans to go to nearby cities? Spend time with family? There's a whole world out there, lots of things to do. See what seems interesting and go for it.
PRSOM - great post
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I would try a hobby or something at uni to meet more people it sounds like you could do with some more mates at uni. A sports team or society is really easy way (particularly if they offer lots of social events, not just drinking but a mix of things).

For this x-mas maybe try and get a part-time job? It would give you something to do, introduce you to some more people locally (you could become friends...) and worst case scenario you have more money which is never a bad thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (66)
27.39%
1 (40)
16.6%
2 (40)
16.6%
3 (33)
13.69%
4 (16)
6.64%
5 (20)
8.3%