The Student Room Group

Canesten pessary use if a virgin

I have a prescription from my GP for canesten. Pessaries were prescribed. Is there any one who has used such as a virgin? What was the experience?
Virgin is sort of a social construct - I understand you mean you never had sex, but that shouldn't matter?
I am guessing you maybe mean you have never put anything in your vagina, such as a tampon or finger. and are scared to do so?

You might have heard some myths about the hymen. If you have one (many people don't) its just some skin vagina. it should have an opening, otherwise how would your period blood get out?
Hymens don't actually break, they can stretch, the the pessary is very small and skinny, and if your slow and careful it seems very unlikely you would change anything about yourself. Put a finger in first, if you can do that, you can use the pessary.
Reply 2
Original post by BubbleBloop
Virgin is sort of a social construct - I understand you mean you never had sex, but that shouldn't matter?
I am guessing you maybe mean you have never put anything in your vagina, such as a tampon or finger. and are scared to do so?

You might have heard some myths about the hymen. If you have one (many people don't) its just some skin vagina. it should have an opening, otherwise how would your period blood get out?
Hymens don't actually break, they can stretch, the the pessary is very small and skinny, and if your slow and careful it seems very unlikely you would change anything about yourself. Put a finger in first, if you can do that, you can use the pessary.

Thank you so much for the reply. I do appreciate it.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a prescription from my GP for canesten. Pessaries were prescribed. Is there any one who has used such as a virgin? What was the experience?

The applicator is very thin and much smaller than even a small tampon so you shouldn't really have a problem with putting it even if you a virgin. If you do, or if you don't want to put anything inside your vagina for whatever reason, there is an oral tablet you can take instead - you can get this from your GP or buy it over the counter from a pharmacy (I think you might need to be over either 16 or 18 to buy it though).
Reply 4
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest