Matthewwwwww
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently predicted AAAD EPQ:A As I'm a international student, I also take A-Level Chinese which counts for all my universities. The D is in Maths and I'm currently trying to gather evidence that all my universities would accept three A-Levels with A-Level Chinese included. Do you think my application would look a lot nicer with those three As, I mainly want to drop it because maths is just way too hard and my application would look so much more clean which could boost my chances of getting an unconditional offer.

What do you think? Would keeping Maths make me more competitive?
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Matthewwwwww)
I'm currently predicted AAAD EPQ:A As I'm a international student, I also take A-LAevel Chinese which counts for all my universities. The D is in Maths and I'm currently trying to gather evidence that all my universities would accept three A-Levels with A-Level Chinese included. Do you think my application would look a lot nicer with those three As, I mainly want to drop it because maths is just way too hard and my application would look so much more clean which could boost my chances of getting an unconditional offer.

Are you applying to UK universities? I don't know much about other Uni's, so I can't comment for them. What are your other A-levels, and what course are you looking to study?
imo__o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently predicted AAAD EPQ:A As I'm a international student, I also take A-Level Chinese which counts for all my universities. The D is in Maths and I'm currently trying to gather evidence that all my universities would accept three A-Levels with A-Level Chinese included. Do you think my application would look a lot nicer with those three As, I mainly want to drop it because maths is just way too hard and my application would look so much more clean which could boost my chances of getting an unconditional offer.

If you don’t need Maths for the course you wanna do, then drop it if you don’t enjoy it
al qaeda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I believe you should drop maths since your mum has 4 hips
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is Chinese your native language? If so, universities may not consider that A-level. If not then they should consider it with your others as normal. In the latter case I would suggest dropping maths, in the former case you may need to consider finding another subject to replace it with (and do a full A-level in one year) or focus on trying to pull up your grade in that subject.

Generally speaking universities don't have any preference for applicants with 4 rather than 3 A-levels, and offers are normally made on the basis of 3 A-levels only. However as above, language learning A-levels in the native language of the applicant (or the language in which they were schooled) are usually not considered as part of a 3 A-level offer.
Matthewwwwww
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mrepic Foulger)
Are you applying to UK universities? I don't know much about other Uni's, so I can't comment for them. What are your other A-levels, and what course are you looking to study?
My A-Levels are Maths, Business, Economics and Chinese + EPQ. I'm looking to study Business Management and am about to apply just have to decide if I'm going to drop maths or not.
Applying to Lancaster, Cardiff, Southampton, Liverpool and Reading. I was hoping to possibly get an unconditional offer from Lancaster as I'm above the requirement for the grade and the epq as well. I just thought maybe getting rid of the D would make my application look much nicer.
Matthewwwwww
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Is Chinese your native language? If so, universities may not consider that A-level. If not then they should consider it with your others as normal. In the latter case I would suggest dropping maths, in the former case you may need to consider finding another subject to replace it with (and do a full A-level in one year) or focus on trying to pull up your grade in that subject.

Generally speaking universities don't have any preference for applicants with 4 rather than 3 A-levels, and offers are normally made on the basis of 3 A-levels only. However as above, language learning A-levels in the native language of the applicant (or the language in which they were schooled) are usually not considered as part of a 3 A-level offer.
Yes it is my native language but all the universities that I'm going to apply to accept A-Level Chinese even though its my native language. I have a feeling that doing Economics, Business and Chinese would make more slightly disadvantages but I'm not applying to Oxbridge so hopefully just by obtaining the grades needed I would be fine.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it is my native language but all the universities that I'm going to apply to accept A-Level Chinese even though its my native language. I have a feeling that doing Economics, Business and Chinese would make more slightly disadvantages but I'm not applying to Oxbridge so hopefully just by obtaining the grades needed I would be fine.
While universities accept any language A-level from people who are taking it as a second language, this doesn't mean to imply they accept it from those who already speak it. Have the universities you are applying to specifically said they will accept the A-level being taken by a native speaker as one of only three A-levels being offered? They may have been willing to accept it as a combination of four and possibly not of three. I would strongly recommend you confirm this with them before applying.

If they do say they are happy to consider an A-level in a language being taken by someone who are a native speaker of the language as part of a combination of only three subjects, then it should be fine. If not, you may need to consider alternatives.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (13)
30.23%
No (30)
69.77%

Watched Threads