The Student Room Group

I HATE being picked on in class?

How do I get the teacher to stop calling on me?! I never have my hand up. Every time I get picked on it’s so humiliating and people and to whisper the answer to me and i feel really dumb. I don’t want to talk privately to the teacher to get me to stop or anything but is there anything I can do to get them to avoid picking on me :frown:
How are you presenting yourself in the class? Are you daydreaming or not looking at the teacher whilst they are talking? This might be why, they are not picking on you, just involving you in the discussion.
Dunno about you but I would always say “I’m not sure” then one of the nerds in the class would butt in and say the answer
Love them nerds
Reply 3
Are they 'picking on' you, as in bullying, or 'picking' you to answer questions? Big difference there.

Just because you don't have your hand up doesn't mean you can't be called on to respond. How about you start being proactive and offer something in class?
Hey, I went through something like this in high school.
There's no way to stop your teacher doing this. Teachers don't want to always hear from the same students - it gets boring and they want to encourage other students.
Why is it you never know the answer? Is it a subject you struggle with? Are you not focusing and get caught off guard? Do you lack confidence and panic and then completely blank out? Find the cause and work from there. For me it was confidence and things improved when I realised I did know the answers, I just needed to stop doubting myself.

A general tip is raising your hand before being picked on and answering questions you're confident on. That way you're less likely to be picked for next questions because the teacher will look to students who haven't spoken yet.

Quick Reply

Latest