The Student Room Group

Question about rounding numbers

This is a) probably in the wrong place and b) a really thick question but...

I'm using excel to calculate percentage error and actual numerical difference between two pieces of data. I have it set to showing 2 decimal places but, in calculations, it still uses all the d.p it has available (like, 10 or something).

This has left me with data that says, e.g.
1.84-1.84=0.03

I don't want to look dense. This is coursework. Should I leave it as 0.03 and state that it was calculated before rounding, or should I change it to say (e.g. 0.00)?

I really don't want to lose marks on this and it's pretty frustrating lol
Original post by HushedKept
This is a) probably in the wrong place and b) a really thick question but...

I'm using excel to calculate percentage error and actual numerical difference between two pieces of data. I have it set to showing 2 decimal places but, in calculations, it still uses all the d.p it has available (like, 10 or something).

This has left me with data that says, e.g.
1.84-1.84=0.03

I don't want to look dense. This is coursework. Should I leave it as 0.03 and state that it was calculated before rounding, or should I change it to say (e.g. 0.00)?

I really don't want to lose marks on this and it's pretty frustrating lol

If you use numbers that have been rounded to 2 decimal places, then your answer should reflect that and also be kept to 2 d.p. Otherwise, it'll look incredibly confusing to whoever is looking at your spreadsheet. 1.84 - 1.84 should be left at 0.00, I believe that otherwise, you will be deducted marks

Not a stupid question at all, good luck with your work :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest