Sainburys won’t pay me for my overtime

Watch
Ceemulan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’ve been on probation with Sainsbury’s and it’s coming to an end; however the store I’m working love mistreating me due to the fact that I am 19 and work at a good rate during night shifts. I haven’t been to work for 2 weeks because of anxiety however During these two weeks I have been doing overtime at different store as it doesn’t give me anxiety like my store; I handed my one week notice on Tuesday but I get a call from my store saying that They will not pay me for anymore overtime I will do because I haven’t been to the store; is it possible for them to do this ?

Because if I do the overtime it counts as me working and me not getting paid is against my rights; it’s illegal regardless of what is going on
Last edited by Interrobang; 1 year ago
sleepingsunshine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think what they mean is that if you do any more overtime until the end of your notice then you will not be paid.

I'm not surprised they're a little annoyed though, you must have a sick note of you've been off for two weeks but yet your able to work for another store? If your ill enough to have a sick note you should not be doing any work at all whether it is in the store you work at or not.
yelir
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So one store gives you anxiety but the other doesn't? Frankly im surprised they let you transfer stores that quick.
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you actually spoke to your manager. I was 16 when I worked there and the same **** happened to me but I had like 5 of the same conversations with the manager so I finally got my money. And Yeah, I swear they have something against the young workers ffs
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Assuming this isn't a troll post I'm not surprised, your messing them about, you can't be off sick AND working overtime at different locations, overtime is what you do ON TOP of your expected hours.
Ceemulan
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Assuming this isn't a troll post I'm not surprised, your messing them about, you can't be off sick AND working overtime at different locations, overtime is what you do ON TOP of your expected hours.
I am not a troll, I’ve been suffering from anxiety because of the store it may sound weird but suffered from depression previously; however I am still able to work at other stores because I my anxiety isn’t bad when I do; yes I know it sounds like I am taking the piss but I’m only doing overtime because I don’t get paid sick for probation so I need to earn money

But for them to say they will not pay for any more overtime I do is illegal, because it’s the law to be paid for manual labour. I even spoke to HR
Ceemulan
Rep:
?
(Original post by yelir)
So one store gives you anxiety but the other doesn't? Frankly im surprised they let you transfer stores that quick.
It’s not a transfer I’m just doing overtime, yes the store does, it something physiological which I Attend therapy for
Ceemulan
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
Have you actually spoke to your manager. I was 16 when I worked there and the same **** happened to me but I had like 5 of the same conversations with the manager so I finally got my money. And Yeah, I swear they have something against the young workers ffs
I tried calling back the person who called me but the person who answered said no one spoke to me from the store? I didn’t even get his name
Ceemulan
Rep:
?
(Original post by sleepingsunshine)
I think what they mean is that if you do any more overtime until the end of your notice then you will not be paid.

I'm not surprised they're a little annoyed though, you must have a sick note of you've been off for two weeks but yet your able to work for another store? If your ill enough to have a sick note you should not be doing any work at all whether it is in the store you work at or not.
But if I go in today for example and do overtime they have to pay me because it is illegal not to pay me that’s the law; so I feel like they wanted to scare me off.Yes you’re correct but I’m not physically sick i mentally sick, I keep having thoughts of anxiety anytime I enter my store hence why I do overtime at a different store I know it may sounds where but my therapist said it’s something psychological .
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How or Why you're off sick isn't the issue tbh, Has this been clearly explained to your employer?. But I don't know where you're getting the idea your doing 'Overtime' from? You aren't doing your basic hours, so almost certainly aren't eligible for overtime shifts. You're making it sound like you've just decided to change your contract and not told them? Does this other store know you're not doing your actual shifts? If you're away doing shifts at a different store...why on earth would your ACTUAL store pay you?. I've got a hunch they'll be in the right.
Ceemulan
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
How or Why you're off sick isn't the issue tbh, Has this been clearly explained to your employer?. But I don't know where you're getting the idea your doing 'Overtime' from? You aren't doing your basic hours, so almost certainly aren't eligible for overtime shifts. You're making it sound like you've just decided to change your contract and not told them? Does this other store know you're not doing your actual shifts? If you're away doing shifts at a different store...why on earth would your ACTUAL store pay you?. I've got a hunch they'll be in the right.
I think you’re confused, my normal hours are from Monday to Wednesday 12am - 8am I do overtime at other store on other day ie Friday or Saturday because you are allowed to. I am not trying to change my contract, I just haven’t been in for two weeks provided with a doctors note about my mental health. Other store do not care if you don’t do your normal hours they just need workers to help during night shift. But regardless for them to say they won’t pay me for any more night shifts I do is illegal because by law you have to pay workers for manual labour
sleepingsunshine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ceemulan)
But if I go in today for example and do overtime they have to pay me because it is illegal not to pay me that’s the law; so I feel like they wanted to scare me off.Yes you’re correct but I’m not physically sick i mentally sick, I keep having thoughts of anxiety anytime I enter my store hence why I do overtime at a different store I know it may sounds where but my therapist said it’s something psychological .
I've been in your position about going into work and tbh I couldn't leave the house at all due to it.

Why would you still want to go into another store that could potentially make you feel the same way as your other store?

To me it just seems that your picking and choosing when you want to work and when you don't. Your causing more problems yourself. You've handed you notice in so I assume that you wont be working in any sainsbury's after Tuesday?

Also it's not overtime that you are doing if you are not working you contracted hours. Your literally just working your contracted hours which you'll be paid through sick pay.
Ceemulan
Rep:
?
(Original post by sleepingsunshine)
I've been in your position about going into work and tbh I couldn't leave the house at all due to it.

Why would you still want to go into another store that could potentially make you feel the same way as your other store?

To me it just seems that your picking and choosing when you want to work and when you don't. Your causing more problems yourself. You've handed you notice in so I assume that you wont be working in any sainsbury's after Tuesday?
At least you understand, however I’m not picking and choosing when I want to work I’m only making money because when you’re off sick you do not get sick pay so I am trying to make back the money I lost.

Going to another store won’t make me feel worse at all, the reason why I go to another store is because the managers have been picking on me and using me to their advantage due to the fact that I’m young which is unfair and made my anxiety levels rise whilst working in the store hence why I had to change the working environment.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ceemulan)
I think you’re confused, my normal hours are from Monday to Wednesday 12am - 8am I do overtime at other store on other day ie Friday or Saturday because you are allowed to. I am not trying to change my contract, I just haven’t been in for two weeks provided with a doctors note about my mental health. Other store do not care if you don’t do your normal hours they just need workers to help during night shift. But regardless for them to say they won’t pay me for any more night shifts I do is illegal because by law you have to pay workers for manual labour
What do you think 'overtime' is? I dunno how much clearer I can be, you can't be off on a docs note AND do overtime.

If this other store has no problem with you working there, why aren't THEY paying you? Has your HOME manager gave permission for all this? For you to work overtime elsewhere while off sick? Expecting your home store to pay you for work you haven't done and overtime you did somewhere else while on a docs note makes zero sense, this is what i mean by trying to change your contract. I've never had any employer that would be ok with this sort of behaviour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise