The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Haha, nothing from myself but I'll post a story my dad's gf told me...

In Belgium (where they live) there's a type of cake called a 'chocolate bom' which is just kind of like weird thick moussey cake.

Anyway, she was on the Eurostar to England once and she was bringing this cake with her, but she realised mid-journey that she'd left it somewhere unsafe where it could have got squished. Anyway, without thinking she shouted:

'OH NO, THE BOM' Apparently much panic ensued x_x
Going from city to city: You know in the middle of a carriage there are 2 seats facing each other with a small table between them (so 4 people could be sat together, 2 people facing the other 2 people), and then theres the walkway in between it and another 2 seats facing each other on the other side. So this means there was 8 seats in total in there in that row in the middle of the carriage. Well, I was on a relatively empty train sitting in one of these seats (because they had more leg room) and then an arabic (or israeli or something, i didn't know) family of about 7 people decided to sit with me. So as I tried to get up to sit somewhere else, they stopped me and said 'no, please sit.' So there i was stuck, sitting with them for 2 hours straight.
edward_wells90
Going from city to city: You know in the middle of a carriage there are 2 seats facing each other with a small table between them (so 4 people could be sat together, 2 people facing the other 2 people), and then theres the walkway in between it and another 2 seats facing each other on the other side. So this means there was 8 seats in total in there in that row in the middle of the carriage. Well, I was on a relatively empty train sitting in one of these seats (because they had more leg room) and then an arabic (or israeli or something, i didn't know) family of about 7 people decided to sit with me. So as I tried to get up to sit somewhere else, they stopped me and said 'no, please sit.' So there i was stuck, sitting with them for 2 hours straight.

Haha, you didn't have to stay there just because they said. But who knows what they would've done if you hadn't.
Reply 83
In China once, I foolishly got into a discussion with a (Chinese) student about the merits of granting Taiwan's independence. Admittedly, he snored AT me the whole way home, which due to a breakdown turned out to be a 16-hour jaunt.
I was travelling from Aberdeen to Guildford (lonnnng way) and I left my ticket at the buffet car, when I got back to my seat I realised, went back to the buffet, someone had taken it and my railcard wallet in which I had my £24 railcard, £45, student ID and return tickets. I didn't even have a reciept and I got kicked off at Kirkcaldy. I was living in Guildford at the time and the people I was staying with had left for the airport to go on holiday so I couldn't go back to Aberdeen.

I didn't have a mobile phone on me, I had no money at all, I had no tickets, I was somewhere in Scotland about 350 miles from home and there were no staff on the station. In the end I begged a journey to Edinburgh, begged a journey to Prestwick Airport and got an announcement put over the PA for the friends I'd been staying with. They bought me new tickets and I went back to Guildford.

Two weeks later I got a package through the post containing my railcard, ID, tickets, £45 and a grovelling note from a woman saying she took the wallet thinking it was hers and she realised how much pain she must have put me through taking my tickets.
Reply 85
I think mine was when the train was 5 minutes early coming into Birmingham New Street, now there is weird experience!
Reply 86
jadedwords
My Drama teacher's best friend experience this one.

Be warned. It's... very, very creepy.

I haven't been on a train since.

Basically, she was on a train on the way home from Uni on a Friday night, ready to spend the weekend at home. It was one of those trains that stops off at small town stations, and it was late at night so there was hardly anyone on.

In fact, she got on the carriage along with a businessman, and the only other people in there were a chavvy couple.

The chavvy guy had his arm around the girl, who was STARING at my Drama teacher's friend from the other side of the carriage. She was really uncomfortable, because the girl looked like the sort to start a fight - you know, staring people out to start a shouting match about nothing. So she avoided looking at her.

A few minutes later, the businessman stood up and came to sit beside her...

Man: This is going to sound really weird, but I'm getting off at the next stop and I need you to come with me.
Her: ...What? No. Go away please.
Man: I really need you to get off this train with me.
Her: Please get away from me. I'm not getting off this train.
Man: I REALLY need you to get off at the next stop with me.
Her: Are you kidding? No. Get away from me.
Man: Look, you can have everything in my wallet. *gets wallet out* You can have my mobile phone. You can have anything on me - I just REALLY need you to get off this train.

At this point, she saw that he really was desperate.

Her: Can you just tell me what this is about? At the moment you're just some creepy guy on a train asking me to do what he says... Just tell me what's going on, and maybe I'll think about it, okay?
Man: Okay. You see that girl over there?

*nods towards staring chavvy girl*

Her: Yeah...
Man: Well she's dead. Now please get off at the next stop with me.

Turns out the chavvy boyfriend was just propping her up. The businessman had been sitting much closer, and had been able to tell that the girl was dead, and wanted to get my Drama teacher's friend out of the carriage.

Needless to say she got off at the next stop.

And rang the police.
And waited for the next train with the businessman.
And took the businessman's money, which I think is harsh hahah.

Jesus Christ. I think I might have nightmares now!
I was on a train....

20 drunken nazi skinheads sat by me. They were shouting they were really loud and aggresive. I am half asian aswell. They didn't seem to notice though. It was funny how they took the piss out of all the white people but not me hahaha.

Some middle class people come to shout at them.... it was quite funny. They are stupid they could have been beaten up very badly.

There was an asian snack vender who got a lot of absue too.
Reply 88
Not really weird but I was sat on the Bournemouth--> Edinburgh Crosscountry train on a Friday night (a bad idea in itself if you want to avoid the drunks), there was a guy who joined at Reading who had just graduated from Reading Uni with a Politics degree and he (although was admittedly quite drunk) did NOT SHUT UP for the entire 4 hours up to Sheffield...I heard everything from the state of the government to his 9/11 conspiracy theories :s-smilie: he even phoned his mates in Sheffield individually to see if they knew me :s-smilie: lol.
"Excuse me, would everything please move up as far as you can and create space at the front doors since the driver cannot board the train."
In the end I just drove it, piece of piss.
Reply 90
I got on the wrong train by accident and ended up in wigan when i wanted to go to chester..and i only realized this when i actually got to wigan and was like wtf!

another was getting the train back from sheffield to manchester with aload of drunk football supporters who were singing insults to each other and dancing!

oh and being told the lights in the carriages don't work so having to sit through all the tunnels on the way home in the pitch black!
Reply 91
On the tube there was a wierd guy who was shout out aloud the different lines you can change over to at each stop. When we got to Kings Cross I really had a feeling he wouldn't shout all of the different lines, but oh yes, he did.
I was about 10 when a man sat down next to me on the platform wearing a kilt. Unfortunately it was a windy day and I discovered it's true about what Scots don't wear under their kilts . . . three times. He was about 70 so it was a bit disturbing!

On an Indian overnight train from Trivandrum to Madurai we were in the sleeper cabin, and because I have a bad back I always sleep on a lilo because of the support it gives my back. Anyway, I was stood there pumping this lilo up and one Indian man came in and had a look and then came back for another look . . . and another. Another man wanted to practice his English and we generally got extremely funny looks as we were the only white people on the train and they seemed to assume that all tourists took taxis everywhere or something.
Reply 93
DafyddHR
Does fighting a drunk who was harrassing some girls on the trian count?

Yes.
Oh I've got loads....

On holiday in devon on year ages ago when I was about 8 or 9 I was on a train coming back from somewhere to where we were staying and this drunk guy thought i was princess beatrice and was telling people to give up their seat for me (we were stood up in the inbetween bit).

Another time was on my way down to bournemouth with my mum and brother and we got chatting to a guy who said he knew gareth gates and had his number (back when he was still really popular).

One time we were on another long journey down south and had booked seats when an old guy came on insisting that we were in his seats that he had booked. Held the train up and everything til he realised he was on the wrong train.

On another train there was a guy sat near us who kept complaining that the carriage was too cold (everyone else was fine) and kept asking for the air con to be turned off. He eventually got really stroppy and grabbed a member of staffs arm when they tried to walk past him. I think he got thrown off the train in the end.
I saw a really camp skinny man on the Tube today, he was wearing skintight shorts (allegedly :wink:) and had a scruffy unkempt mohican with baldness on the remainder of his head.

Each to his own, but that kind of scared me. :wink: He did look a bit out of place though, considering it was still rush hour.
Reply 96
Origami Bullets
I was about 10 when a man sat down next to me on the platform wearing a kilt. Unfortunately it was a windy day and I discovered it's true about what Scots don't wear under their kilts . . . three times. He was about 70 so it was a bit disturbing!

:lolwut:

That must have been disturbing.
I think the weirdest thing thats happened to me was when I was coming back from Cambridge. The train I was supposed to catch terminated in the middle of nowhere as there was a death on the line, so we were all told to get the next one to London. As there were 2 trainfulls on this one train we were told to ignore classes and seat reservations, and some really nice people gave me a seat in first class. Turned out that they guy I sat next to was a mathematician, and helped me with my coursework, and the lady opposite was going back to Paddington, where I needed to be. Was slightly surreal. But did give me confidence about the good in the world.

Had another one with someone I recognised, really really well, but didn't know at all - that was odd!

Latest