The Student Room Group

Is the MSci Applied Psychology (Reading) worth it over other programs?

I'm currently applying to study psychology in the UK. I'm a mature student (21) and the reason that I'll be going into a psychology degree will mainly be the clinical path. I will pursue a masters by default, in order to make the degree eligible in my country (we need 4 year studies to be able to practice with a psychology degree), so this isn't a matter of whether a masters degree is generally worth it or not.

Apart from the Reading MSci, I've applied to Newcastle (which is my best choice so far), Leeds, Southampton and Nottingham Trent (regular psych BSc).

These are my concerns:

This is a matter of degree vs everything else. The only reason I'm inclined towards Reading is the MSci degree. Other than that it's slightly unaffordable for me as a city, it's lower in the rankings and it has nothing else to appeal to me as a university.

Newcastle is more affordable, has a better reputation, is a Russell group uni, has better social life. Same with all the others. However it's a regular psychology major, not clinically oriented and it seems like I will have to put up with lots of irrelevant modules and research before I have the chance to go clinical.

Reading has special practical clinical modules in year 3 and a clinical placement, and I won't have to bother applying for an MSc again in year 4.

Is it worth it to go with Reading and sacrifice all the other factors if I'm sure that clinical psych is what I want to do? Is a regular BSc + MSc a better combination?

Plus, I can't find the actual modules of this program anywhere on their website, which is a little concerning. Is there anyone here from this program?

Thank you!
Original post by Should_be
Reading has special practical clinical modules in year 3 and a clinical placement, and I won't have to bother applying for an MSc again in year 4.

Is it worth it to go with Reading and sacrifice all the other factors if I'm sure that clinical psych is what I want to do? Is a regular BSc + MSc a better combination?

Plus, I can't find the actual modules of this program anywhere on their website, which is a little concerning. Is there anyone here from this program?

My question would be are you guaranteed those clinical modules by doing the MSci? Or is it just 120 credits more of chances of getting on those clinical modules?

Quick Reply

Latest