Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's my summer holiday so I figured I should undertake a project of some sort so I've decided to redecorate my room.
    I really like vintage clothes so I think I should incorporate that theme into my room somehow like in the picture below.

The problem is my room has two white walls and two pink walls and I'm not allowed to paint it even though there are loads of cans of white paint in the kitchen doing nothing :confused:
    My room is really small (sorry no measurements) so I can't rearrange things, which is killing me because I'm bored of my room so if anyone could do me a favour and suggest ways to change my room without spending much money to make it look better and also if anyone could help me find some kind of line I can feed my mum about hope beneficial painting my room (white) would be for me it would be most appreciated. I'll post pictures of my room when I get a chance. Anyway, I guess I'm asking for inspiration and cheap things I can do to liven up my boring,small room with no storage space and virtually no space to move:no:.
    Sorry if none of this post makes sense, no time to re-read and sorry if this is the wrong section, I didn't know where to put this.
    Please help if you can before I go insane!
    Diamonddust

Edit: and also, if I do manage to persuade my mum to let me paint my room and I decided not to use the white paint, what colour do you think would suit a vintage theme best? I was thinking cream, or pale green or something but I don't really know...

ReputationRep:
    i tell you what my mate did, her bedroom looks like the one in your picture.

Get a cheap screen thingy from an antiques shop, get a load of magazines and pick out pics you want/like. Then pva glue them on some fabric and staple them on the screen, looks nice.

ReputationRep:
    i want to re-decorate my small room too! stick to pale colours.. get a job .. look on the ikea website for furniture - here you get get small wheeley storage boxes to put under your bed and other fairly cheap furniture! check website also like b &q just to do some research on prices!

ReputationRep:
    wow that was quick! lol
    Liking the suggestions so far! Keep them coming

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, what an awful room.

For the true 'vintage' look, what you want is mahogany, old books, antique candlesticks, and cobwebs.

ReputationRep:
    And I've begged my mum to let me get a job but she won't let me and she says if I do get one she'll kick me out of the house. Makes no sense! And she won't pay for the things I want so I need a job! Arrgh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    Urgh, what an awful room.

For the true 'vintage' look, what you want is mahogany, old books, antique candlesticks, and cobwebs.
    :huff: :p:
    I like the bedspread and the Audrey Hepburn frame the rest of it can go! lol
    I'm at a loss as to what to do though! I wanted a curtain as a room divider thing(no-one understands what I mean when I tell them!) but I haven't got enough space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    And I've begged my mum to let me get a job but she won't let me and she says if I do get one she'll kick me out of the house. Makes no sense! And she won't pay for the things I want so I need a job! Arrgh!
    What about just a summer job if you promise to stop when you move on to next year of school/college? That montagey collage thing is really pretty.

ReputationRep:
    Yes go to B&Q and get a few of those colour chart things so you can get an idea of what colour you want, personally I think pastel colours look really nice. Also, Ive always thought having one wall with colour on looks quite nice so try and see if you can just paint one wall white!
    Also, are you allowed to paint your furniture? That could make a big difference to your room. Maybe buying a few cheap picture frames, paint them and then print a few pictures off you think would suit the vintage look you are going for could work!

ReputationRep:
    i've gone from having a black room with black furniture and black bedding to a nice girly room

i'll take some pictures tomorrow if i remember, but i've got cream shelves built into my alcoves, one white wall and the rest green walls.
    a white wicker chair
    another chair covered in a creamy colour fur blanket.
    nice duvet covers.
    candles
    bamboo/flowers all the time.
    nice bed

it's not strictly vintage but there's aspects there.

I find if you make your bed look how you want it to that really affects the room. same for putting little bits and bobs around the place. choice of photoframes/mirror etc all influence the feel of your room.

as for the pink, i think it could look alright depending on the shade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    :huff: :p:
    I like the bedspread and the Audrey Hepburn frame the rest of it can go! lol
    I'm at a loss as to what to do though! I wanted a curtain as a room divider thing(no-one understands what I mean when I tell them!) but I haven't got enough space.
    like in sex and the city? i always want to do that but can't ever be arsed and also don't have the room. perhaps get a bed canopy or put fabric on the ceiling (stuck up there, kind of draped) if you want some texture in the room?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of pink is it? Pale? Because that would fit in wouldnt it? Why not just put up a lot of framed photos? How about a full length mirror in a nice frame? I'm just trying to think of ways to cover up the walls instead of painting them. Why not (and I know this might sound stupid) hang a curtain thing across one wall (I think that would look cool) to cover it up? If it was patterned it would also brighten it up a bit

ReputationRep:
    I love TSR people! Always have a solution! Thanks guys!
    The pink in my room is the exact shade of the pink behind the clock in this photo.
    Do you think I can work that in somehow? I'm really liking the hanging a curtain on a wall idea!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can get a huge audrey hepburn (or someone else) poster somewhere and frame it, perhaps decorate the frame yourself?

You can also buy really long vintage net curtains for your windows that match your room

ReputationRep:
    Your mum wont let you get a job? How old are you (not trying to sound harsh, just wondering!)? Mothering 10, clearly.
    And another thought, they probably do loads of that sort of stuff in charity shops so get hunting in there!

ReputationRep:
    16 and thanks! I might have to get a job behind her back because it's stopping me from doing what I want, but the problem is if she finds out she'll go insane at me!

ReputationRep:
    My cheapy ideas!:

Collect some vintage perfume bottles and arrange them on a shelf or something
    Buy some old postcards/photos (they're dead cheap) and peg them to a piece of string put across your room
    Stack some old-looking books in a corner.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Shops like The Pier do have some vintage looking stuff among the stock - hit the sales! Or get creative...

ReputationRep:
    I SO have that Audrey Hepburn canvas.
    It looks good on pink walls, by the by
    x

ReputationRep:
    Bedspreads and curtains can make a HUGE difference to a room. And they're not TOO expensive if you go to the right places. Throws and cushions, too.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.