Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
whats the difference between trophic levels and food chains and pyrsmaids of biomass?
Tysm! xx
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 1 year ago
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The trophic level is the position of an organism within a food chain.
A food chain is a succession of organisms which eat other organisms and, in turn, may be eaten themselves (i.e. it shows the different trophic levels).
A pyramid of biomass shows the biomass (dry mass) present in each different trophic level.

For example (where < means is eaten by):
A food chain may show: Grass < Mouse < Snake < Fox < Wolf.

The grass is at the first trophic level - it is a producer or 'autotroph' because it photosynthesises.
The mouse is at the second trophic level - it is the primary consumer. ETC. ETC.

A pyramid of biomass would show the biomass of the grass on the bottom, then the biomass of mice above, then the biomass of snakes above that, etc. As energy is passed up trophic levels, energy transfer becomes less efficient, so the biomass of each level decreases, and hence it has a pyramid shape.

Does that make sense?
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
The trophic level is the position of an organism within a food chain.
A food chain is a succession of organisms which eat other organisms and, in turn, may be eaten themselves (i.e. it shows the different trophic levels).
A pyramid of biomass shows the biomass (dry mass) present in each different trophic level.

For example (where < means is eaten by):
A food chain may show: Grass < Mouse < Snake < Fox < Wolf.

The grass is at the first trophic level - it is a producer or 'autotroph' because it photosynthesises.
The mouse is at the second trophic level - it is the primary consumer. ETC. ETC.

A pyramid of biomass would show the biomass of the grass on the bottom, then the biomass of mice above, then the biomass of snakes above that, etc. As energy is passed up trophic levels, energy transfer becomes less efficient, so the biomass of each level decreases, and hence it has a pyramid shape.

Does that make
thank you for your reply, i understand the food chain but isn't that basically the same as the torpich level? xx
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
thank you for your reply, i understand the food chain but isn't that basically the same as the torpich level? xx
They are very similar. I guess the easiest way to look at it is to picture this:

This is the food chain:
Snake
|
Mouse
|
Grass

This is a trophic level:
Grass (producer)

So I guess a trophic level is looking at a single organism and it's position in the food chain (producer, primary consumer, secondary consumer, etc.), whereas a food chain shows all the trophic levels put together.

Does that help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (21)
29.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.72%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.56%

Watched Threads