Batman2k1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
if i put down tensile stress = young modulus x tensile strain
as stress = F/A
The question wanted F.
I crossed out stress, Put F there, and put X A on the right.

The mark scheme shows
tensile stress = young mod x strain
stress = F/A
----- (2 marks)

As i crossed out stress that is visible to see and put F there, would i be still allowed the mark you think?
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not sure what you are asking. Force/area is a general equation valid for an applied stress. That stress can be shear or tensile.
Batman2k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
I'm not sure what you are asking. Force/area is a general equation valid for an applied stress. That stress can be shear or tensile.
I did alevel physics aqa test.
Would i be allocated the 2 marks?
You needed to show the two formulae of tensile stress and young modulas.

The question wanted to find out the force, F.
So what i did was a shortcut. Just cross stress out, (F/A), so i put F on the LHS and A on the RHS.

So i am confused whether this is acceptable. It's sort of like simplifying my working, like 2/4 = 1/2, but i cross the 2 and 4 out, and put 1 and 2 there.
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Batman2k1)
I did alevel physics aqa test.
Would i be allocated the 2 marks?
You needed to show the two formulae of tensile stress and young modulas.

The question wanted to find out the force, F.
So what i did was a shortcut. Just cross stress out, (F/A), so i put F on the LHS and A on the RHS.

So i am confused whether this is acceptable. It's sort of like simplifying my working, like 2/4 = 1/2, but i cross the 2 and 4 out, and put 1 and 2 there.
I mean yeah, the algebra is obvious, you just didn't write it out explicitly. In my opinion, it shouldn't normally be a problem but you shouldn't give the exam board any reason to drop marks. In the future, write each line out explicitly.
Batman2k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
I mean yeah, the algebra is obvious, you just didn't write it out explicitly. In my opinion, it shouldn't normally be a problem but you shouldn't give the exam board any reason to drop marks. In the future, write each line out explicitly.
Oh okay, thanks 0le.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (1)
4.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (4)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (3)
13.64%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (2)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (9)
40.91%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (3)
13.64%

Watched Threads