Is a grade 6 a good or bad grade?

Watch this thread
stillcrying
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I completely my GCSEs this year; I got 4 8s, 4 7s and 1 6 (in English Literature) and I am still really disappointed as I set out to achieve all 7s. Also, English Literature was the exam I felt most confident with because I liked the questions and thought I’d given good responses. I also only just got a 7 (on the boundary) in English Language when in my March mock I got an 8 and a 7 in Literature. Is this a bad thing? I’m not bothered by my English Language but definitely am by Literature. What is your opinion on a grade 6?
AlexD8282
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Its a good grade, it tends to be the boundry for if you want to do an a level.
I think the media and people in general have started the mentality that anything under a grade 7 is seen as dissapointing and the stigma should change.
Im not just saying this because most my grades where 5-6 though XD
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stillcrying)
So I completely my GCSEs this year; I got 4 8s, 4 7s and 1 6 (in English Literature) and I am still really disappointed as I set out to achieve all 7s. Also, English Literature was the exam I felt most confident with because I liked the questions and thought I’d given good responses. I also only just got a 7 (on the boundary) in English Language when in my March mock I got an 8 and a 7 in Literature. Is this a bad thing? I’m not bothered by my English Language but definitely am by Literature. What is your opinion on a grade 6?
Would you say a Grade B was a 'good grade' or a 'bad grade'?
stillcrying
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Would you say a Grade B was a 'good grade' or a 'bad grade'?
Bad. Hence why I set out for all 7s/As. But should I be disappointed with it or will it not affect my future too much?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stillcrying)
Bad. Hence why I set out for all 7s/As. But should I be disappointed with it or will it not affect my future too much?
Interesting. Most reasonable people wouldn't consider an isolated grade B a 'bad thing'.

That's a bit TSR, if I'm going to be honest with you.

No, stillcrying: it's not going to be life-changing.
Wiseone19999
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
English Language is tricky and It has a higher pass mark for each grade compared to other subjects. If someone got a mix of 9’s, 8’s and 7’s but only one 6 (which is a B) that would be pretty impressive but a mix of 4’s, 5’s and their top grade overall was a 6 that would mean that although you’ve passed everything it’s more on an average level pass.
Last edited by Wiseone19999; 4 weeks ago
Caaaaaats129
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you revise?
sufys
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Wiseone19999)
English Language is tricky and It has a higher pass mark for each grade compared to other subjects. If someone got a mix of 9’s, 8’s and 7’s but only one 6 (which is a B) that would be pretty impressive but a mix of 4’s, 5’s and their top grade overall was a 6 that would mean that although you’ve passed everything it’s more on an average level pass.
(Original post by Caaaaaats129)
Did you revise?
The thread is old.
Caaaaaats129
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sufys)
The thread is old.
Oh gosh it is! I didn’t realise because it was bumped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads