The Student Room Group

Is a grade 6 a good or bad grade?

So I completely my GCSEs this year; I got 4 8s, 4 7s and 1 6 (in English Literature) and I am still really disappointed as I set out to achieve all 7s. Also, English Literature was the exam I felt most confident with because I liked the questions and thought I’d given good responses. I also only just got a 7 (on the boundary) in English Language when in my March mock I got an 8 and a 7 in Literature. Is this a bad thing? I’m not bothered by my English Language but definitely am by Literature. What is your opinion on a grade 6?
Its a good grade, it tends to be the boundry for if you want to do an a level.
I think the media and people in general have started the mentality that anything under a grade 7 is seen as dissapointing and the stigma should change.
Im not just saying this because most my grades where 5-6 though XD
Original post by stillcrying
So I completely my GCSEs this year; I got 4 8s, 4 7s and 1 6 (in English Literature) and I am still really disappointed as I set out to achieve all 7s. Also, English Literature was the exam I felt most confident with because I liked the questions and thought I’d given good responses. I also only just got a 7 (on the boundary) in English Language when in my March mock I got an 8 and a 7 in Literature. Is this a bad thing? I’m not bothered by my English Language but definitely am by Literature. What is your opinion on a grade 6?

Would you say a Grade B was a 'good grade' or a 'bad grade'?
Original post by Reality Check
Would you say a Grade B was a 'good grade' or a 'bad grade'?

Bad. Hence why I set out for all 7s/As. But should I be disappointed with it or will it not affect my future too much?
Original post by stillcrying
Bad. Hence why I set out for all 7s/As. But should I be disappointed with it or will it not affect my future too much?

Interesting. Most reasonable people wouldn't consider an isolated grade B a 'bad thing'.

That's a bit TSR, if I'm going to be honest with you.

No, stillcrying: it's not going to be life-changing.
English Language is tricky and It has a higher pass mark for each grade compared to other subjects. If someone got a mix of 9’s, 8’s and 7’s but only one 6 (which is a B) that would be pretty impressive but a mix of 4’s, 5’s and their top grade overall was a 6 that would mean that although you’ve passed everything it’s more on an average level pass.
(edited 1 year ago)
Did you revise?
Original post by Wiseone19999
English Language is tricky and It has a higher pass mark for each grade compared to other subjects. If someone got a mix of 9’s, 8’s and 7’s but only one 6 (which is a B) that would be pretty impressive but a mix of 4’s, 5’s and their top grade overall was a 6 that would mean that although you’ve passed everything it’s more on an average level pass.

Original post by Caaaaaats129
Did you revise?

The thread is old.
Original post by sufys
The thread is old.

Oh gosh it is! I didn’t realise because it was bumped

Quick Reply

Latest