Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there are any good martial arts societies in Oxford? Kung fu would be best, but really any with a good community spirit would suit me.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sport.ox.ac.uk/club-contacts

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the tai chi club do some very good fighting stuff as well as the standard tai chi to the point of some of their members competing in full contact tournaments, that would probably be the best for kung fu related stuff.

I would also highly recommend the judo club if you're willing to try something different.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I hear good things from the people who do sulkido (sp?). I would personally like the kill whichever martial art is next to trampolining on a Tuesday night, shouting "One... Two... Three... Four..." at a ridiculous volume all night, taking up so much space we can't get out of the hall without being in danger of being kicked/knocked/shoved into the wall as they move through their warm up - would it kill them to stand a bit closer to their sensei?!

/rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Apparently the tai chi club do some very good fighting stuff as well as the standard tai chi to the point of some of their members competing in full contact tournaments, that would probably be the best for kung fu related stuff.

I would also highly recommend the judo club if you're willing to try something different.
    Are you a member? I've heard vague whispers about this and I'm kinda looking forward to taking a look.

ReputationRep:
    I just saw an advert in passing for this lot:

http://www.fwckungfu.com/club/Oxford

... which might be what the OP is looking for.

DtS (having a helpful day)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I hear good things from the people who do sulkido (sp?). I would personally like the kill whichever martial art is next to trampolining on a Tuesday night, shouting "One... Two... Three... Four..." at a ridiculous volume all night, taking up so much space we can't get out of the hall without being in danger of being kicked/knocked/shoved into the wall as they move through their warm up - would it kill them to stand a bit closer to their sensei?!

/rant
    That would be the Shotokan Karate Club.

(Original post by tyraell)
    Are you a member? I've heard vague whispers about this and I'm kinda looking forward to taking a look.
    No I'm not a member, but I've heard stories. I was tempted to try it out, but couldn't get anyone to go with me. My memberships have been the karate club and judo club (both now defunct - karate due to philosophical differences and judo because the lesson times clashed for me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    That would be the Shotokan Karate Club.

No I'm not a member, but I've heard stories. I was tempted to try it out, but couldn't get anyone to go with me. My memberships have been the karate club and judo club (both now defunct - karate due to philosophical differences and judo because the lesson times clashed for me).
    I don't blame you on the karate front, never tried judo though. I'll go with you - assuming grades go well in August!

I need to find some Xingyi/ YiQuan teachers. ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    What's the problem with karate :eek: ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    What's the problem with karate :eek: ?
    I could name you all kinds of problems with karate (I still do it though, it's fun after all).

I'm not a huge fan of the Oxford karate club because they have an extreme focus on basics and beyond the team training session they never engage in free sparring. I suppose it depends what you want to get out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Answer the damn question!!

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    Answer the damn question!!

:p:
    Ok then, karate in general, but some styles more than others (I study shotokan so that's what I will focus on)...

A quick summar of my main problems with it as an effective fighting art:
    -unrealistic stances
    -the hikate hand
    -low guards
    -kata

Problems encountered in many, if not most clubs:
    -point sparring
    -lack of sparring
    -lack of hitting actual targets (e.g. pads)

Essentially if you're wanting to learn how to fight it'll give you an advantage but there are far superior methods. Similarly there are better ways of getting fit.

That being said, if you enjoy it, go for it. I enjoy training in karate and have no intention of stopping, I just avoid overestimating its effectiveness. It does make me a better fighter, it does make me fitter, there happen to be better ways of getting those things, but I enjoy karate more than other methods. This is also dependent upon getting a good club.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply

What are the superior methods for learning to 'fight'?

ReputationRep:
    Essentially I'd summarise it with the idea of training with resistance - i.e. someone actually trying to stop you (sparring) and training techniques in the way you'd use them. Think judo. They practice their techniques and then they use them on each other, competitively.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying karate is useless, or that you can't fight if you do karate, just that if purely learning how to fight is your goal there are better ways (and it'll always depend on your club and instructor).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd agree with Teebs, although in the one judo session I went to, there was about 15 mins of sparring in a two hour session. I'm bloodthirsty, I like sparring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I'd agree with Teebs, although in the one judo session I went to, there was about 15 mins of sparring in a two hour session. I'm bloodthirsty, I like sparring
    Was it a beginner's session? I'm ever so slightly tempted to try and find people who are into martial arts for general sparring practice (not teaching, just mutual learning). Sparring is easily the most enjoyable bit, you just have to be aware of each other's comfort levels.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Probably - I think you were at that session, actually.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but sneer at judo

'Oh, please just hold out your sleeve so I can throw you!' :p:

ReputationRep:
    Athena - quite possibly, and if I was there it means it probably was.

Thicky... dream on.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Actually, judo is pretty useful, tbh - I had a session when I was younger that showed how to apply the techniques to knife wielding attackers, or attackers with sticks/bats (we were using unihoc sticks for that bit...). The strangles work on anyone wearing something with a collar (even the collar on a t-shirt).

That said, the few sessions of ju jitsu I've had have taught me better ways of getting out of being grabbed (front in front or behind), and since as a girl I'm probably more likely to be grabbed than punched...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.