Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'll probably get an absolute bashing for this, but I need to express my annoyance at people who post in threads purely to correct peoples grammar or to tell them they have spelt a word wrong. Its so patronizing I cant stand it. Fair enough if you're typing like some chavvy 14 year old or what you're writing cant actually be understood, but so many people do it because someone has missed an odd comma out or hasnt started a new paragraph etc. I for one dont have the best grammar, but I know that what I write is understandable so its really annoying when someone comes along and judges what Ive written as if its part of a essay for english masters degree! If people cant understand a sentence because it doesnt have perfect grammar/spelling than I think that says more about them then it does me and anyone else who cant be bothered to make sure everything they type is word perfect!... Rant over
    Oh and anyone who comes and corrects part of this paragraph will be going to hell!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Stop with the hyperbole; typing mistakes just make you lose credibility, and you can't do much about that. If you don't want to spellcheck your post, it generally means you've put no time or effort into it (in my book). Either conform or face the fact that some people distrust non-conformists. Anyway, there's fifty thousand other debates on this.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you mean 'it's'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrybella1)
    Hi everyone, I'll probably get an absolute bashing for this, but I need to express my annoyance at people who post in threads purely to correct peoples grammar or to tell them they have spelt a word wrong. Its so patronizing I cant stand it. Fair enough if you're typing like some chavvy 14 year old or what you're writing cant actually be understood, but so many people do it because someone has missed an odd comma out or hasnt started a new paragraph etc. I for one dont have the best grammar, but I know that what I write is understandable so its really annoying when someone comes along and judges what Ive written as if its part of a essay for english masters degree! If people cant understand a sentence because it doesnt have perfect grammar/spelling than I think that says more about them then it does me and anyone else who cant be bothered to make sure everything they type is word perfect!... Rant over
    Oh and anyone who comes and corrects part of this paragraph will be going to hell!
    Sorry, I just could not read your post due to all the bad grammar.

ReputationRep:
    But why start a thread on ti? just ignore them?!

ReputationRep:
    Umm... if you really do know the rules, then feel free to break them. But there's simply no excuse for laziness and/or ignorance. If you've been speaking English for upwards of 16 years, then you should be able to write commensurately well. And that includes punctuation etc., whatever you or your fellow anti-being-normal-and-seeming-like-you've-had-an-education-ists might wish to believe. Not to mention that it's good practice for later life. I think there must be only one or two people I work with (and I work at a professional, multinational creative agency - somewhere that attracts bright minds, albeit that I work in the finance department) who really knows how to write well. It means the rest of them stand almost no chance of getting to the top of their field, as anyone higher up must be inwardly laughing whenever they get an email from, or talk to, these people. /rant.

- No hard feelings ,

- Dom

ReputationRep:
    Haha, let the correcting begin!
    I dont see why it should make you lose credibility, I dont type 'lyk dis' and everything I write is perfectly understandable so I think its a complete waste of a post just to tell someone they've used the wrong grammer or have spelt a word slightly wrong, if someones that bothered by it why dont they just private message you. I dont use spellcheck as I dont tend to look at the buttons above the reply box, I come on here to relax, not to be made out to be some illiterate numpty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    But why start a thread on ti? just ignore them?!
    Because quite a few people take it to absolute extremes and its mildly annoying being nit picked at over 1 word/misuse of the odd full stop or comma.
    If someone had the english skills of a goldfish Id be tempted to say something, but generally most people dont and people still point minor things out..

ReputationRep:
    Haha, let the correcting begin!
    I dont see why it should make you lose credibility, I dont type 'lyk dis' and everything I write is perfectly understandable so I think its a complete waste of a post just to tell someone they've used the wrong grammer or have spelt a word slightly wrong, if someones that bothered by it why dont they just private message you. I dont use spellcheck as I dont tend to look at the buttons above the reply box, I come on here to relax, not to be made out to be some illiterate numpty!
    I think it needs pointing out that if you can't write with good punctuation and grammar, you aren't merely being made out to be some illiterate numpty, but rather are some illiterate numpty.

- D.

ReputationRep:
    It when people say "I ant to do psycology at UCL, I'm predicted AAAA in history, psycology, politics and french and have completed many extra curricular activities, including volunteering and Duke of Edinburgh gold award" and continue to spell Psychology from throughout their post.

and you just think... that's so messed up, They must have been on websites, or you know studied it for over a year and be high level material.. they should have remembered the spelling by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    It when people say "I ant to do psycology at UCL, I'm predicted AAAA in history, psycology, politics and french and have completed many extra curricular activities, including volunteering and Duke of Edinburgh gold award" and continue to spell Psychology from throughout their post.

and you just think... that's so messed up, They must have been on websites, or you know studied it for over a year and be high level material.. they should have remembered the spelling by now.

or lying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domlague)
    I think it needs pointing out that if you can't write with good punctuation and grammar, you aren't merely being made out to be some illiterate numpty, but rather are some illiterate numpty.

- D.
    Thats my point though, Ive seen so many other threads where people do write with good grammar/spelling and someone still feels the need to point out a slight mistake. Im not talking about people who have never heard of a comma and think that a paragraph is some small country in the middle east, Im talking about the general population who dont have 100% perfect english all the time but still get the grammar police coming down on them.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, i felt like doing what other people done and correct some of your errors but for real errors don't bother me at all. As long as what people write is readable it shouldn't matter so i agree with what your saying about its stupid making a post just to correct something you already understand. If you know what the person is saying, no corrections need to be made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    or lying?

Well I suppose. But sometimes they are generally serious posts. Firefox and Safari both have spell checkers for those who struggle to check their own for whatever reason, I can understand typos, I struggle to see the difference between fro and for when I read my own posts back, but things that can be caught by spell checkers should be in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    i completely agree! it does my absolute head in! i mean like wise up whats the big deal?! especially when its on a forum,bebo and txt its the most annoying thing ever i type fast and cudnt care less about the grammar im nt in sch so shut up! glad sum1 feels the sme way

ReputationRep:
    Well I admit I find grammar mistakes irritating, but there's no need to post just to correct one. As long as you get your point across it doesn't really matter. Anyway, I'd be too paranoid that I'd made my own mistake to correct someone else's one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domlague)
    If you've been speaking English for upwards of 16 years, then you should be able to write commensurately well.
    I love the word 'commensurate'. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Because quite a few people take it to absolute extremes and it's mildly annoying being nit picked at over 1 one word/misuse of the odd full stop or comma.
    If someone had the English skills of a goldfish I'd be tempted to say something, but generally most people don't and people still point out minor things out..

Seriously, get over it. Contrary to popular belief; the internet is not serious business. Furthermore, bad grammar/spelling can make a post very distracting, sometimes to the point of illegibility, so people should make the effort to spell/grammar check their posts. As GE said: "If you don't want to spellcheck your post, it generally means you've put no time or effort into it (in my book)." Spell checking is easy with computers and if you can't be bothered to make your post legible why should we decipher it?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree with you more to be honest. Someone even gave me a neg for it. People will point out if I say such a thing as:

i don't know, which would you pick.

And then they will then put my grammar right. Its not like we are writing for something particularly important, in the end it is just a forum!

ReputationRep:
    How can someone think that it doesn't matter? Having language is something that sets you aside from apes - surely you want to at least do it with accurate grammar, spelling and punctuation? I can forgive some misspellings (typos), as well as misplaced commas and full stops etc.; but there are some things that really cross the line.

- misplaced apostrophes. (Plurals, 'its' possessive, even sometimes in third-person verb conjugations, such as 'he want's to go there')
    - the word 'definitely'
    - you're/your
    - there/their/they're
    - 'a lot' as one word
    - the use of 'i.e.' when 'e.g.' should be used

And I'm sure some people think that I probably have a massive stick up my arse or something, but the above examples aren't particularly obscure. It's not like I'm complaining about the misspelling of the word 'onomatopoeia', because it doesn't really crop up much - so it's no wonder it gets written incorrectly. But anyone who can't get the above few right really ought to do a bit of private reading on the matter; because they're either very lazy, or very stupid.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.