Would you kill an innocent person? watch

• View Poll Results: What would you do?
    Do nothing
    17.01%
    Kill Mr X
    82.99%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Morals are myths, like religious dogma. No proof, no logic.
    Not exactly.

Wouldn't you kill an old child murderer to save the works of Mozart?
    No, I would not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Lol - what?! So we should assume that he WOULDN'T?! I dont think you anderstand how moral dilemmas work! You can't just invent new scenarios or consequences to suit your opinion. If the kidnapper tells you he will do something, you should take it that it WILL happen.
    I don't know about you, but I wouldn't hold a kidnapper to his words.

Back to my point...
    Suicide is a crime, however the punishment only works as a deterrant; if you succeed in killing yourself then you cannot be punished, however you have the fear of being punished if your attempt fails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    Suicide is a crime.
    Not in the free world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    Not in the free world.
    touché
    (I should have noted that it used to be a crime)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johan C)
    Morals are part of what has prevented humanity from descending into and remaning in a state of chaos. It's not hard to see how you managed so many red gems in so little time.
    But they're false, they're day dreams, lies to keep people quiet and obedient. And I don't mean that (or anything I have said for that matter) in a teenage rebelious way, I'm serious. It is against mans congenital nature, and in my opinion, the more and more we give room to these morals the more and more broken people come out of the system. And expecially the more we give over to the dangerous type of morals 2026 has, the irrational slightly-logical slightly-emtional but-no-one-can-quite-tell liberal morality. And also religious morality, which people do some crazy things in the name of.

Wtf?
    I'm just testing his value system my soft hearted friend.

ReputationRep:
    And expecially the more we give over to the dangerous type of morals 2026 has, the irrational slightly-logical slightly-emtional but-no-one-can-quite-tell liberal morality. And also religious morality, which people do some crazy things in the name of.
    That's the silliest thing I've heard in a long-time. My morals are 'dangerous'? How so? I believe that everyone has a right to life and that this life is inalienable. X should not be allowed to harm you unless you're a threat to X. What's dangerous about this view?

Most people would classify your morals-that it's perfectly acceptable to murder hundreds of people to save a sibling-as far more dangerous. It's irrational, selfish, subjective, ambiguous, nonsensical and repugnant.

ReputationRep:
    My family are fairly religious so they'd understand that I wouldn't want to kill another innocent human being even if it meant saving their lives. I love my close family a great deal but not enough to kill for them, and they love me enough not to ask that of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7UP)
    To be fair, Mr X sounds like a bit of a shady character. I reckon hes in on it. Shoot him, with a name like Mr X he is probably planning world domination.
    haha true true
    but still, stereotyping much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin2K8)
    I would think about what my loved ones would want me to do.
    Along these lines, I'm an only child with relatively old parents, so this would make my decision easier than most, unfortuantely.

ReputationRep:
    I would kill Mr.X, sounds evil anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think the moral of this thread is "never be a stranger stuck in a room with a psych asking someone to kill you in order to save their family."

Luckily, it's my general opinion that this type of situation doesn't occur that frequently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swifter)
    I would kill Mr.X, sounds evil anyway.
    You'll be evil back if you decide to kill him; it might be a test, like the ones in the SAW series :no:.

ReputationRep:
    Why on Earth would you do nothing?

Total stranger dies or you're family dies, tough choice.

ReputationRep:
    gosh... some people on this thread are total idiots.... guess they will end up in politics :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleGirl)
    gosh... some people on this thread are total idiots.... guess they will end up in politics :P
    Thank you for this invaluable contribution. You have truly enriched the debate.

ReputationRep:
    It's worrying that 85% of people on TSR would be willing to murder an innocent man in exchange for nothing but the word of a sadistic kidnapper that he will not harm people you can't even see. A valuable insight into why so many people obey the state, perhaps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    Thank you for this invaluable contribution. You have truly enriched the debate.

the debate died after the first few posts

after that it became meaningless drivel

ReputationRep:
    It seems like a bit of a stretch to trust this madman kidnapper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collingwood)
    It's worrying that 85% of people on TSR would be willing to murder an innocent man in exchange for nothing but the word of a sadistic kidnapper that he will not harm people you can't even see.
    I share your concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProgressDesired)
    All those things you think are flaws contributed to our survival and to place us where we are now. If everyone was like you, we would never get anywhere.

But think about it - you don't care about anyone's death. How would you feel if nobody cared about yours? I know you might be all macho on a Forum, but in real life, you wouldn't be too happy.

Having said that, with a username such as "Asphyxiated" I can't be certain of that .

Michael
    I don't know, nor care, if anyone would be affected by my death. Why should I? When I inevitably die I won't be around for people's reaction to have any effect on me. Please... think before you post.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.