Would you kill an innocent person? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What would you do?
    Do nothing
    17.01%
    Kill Mr X
    82.99%

ReputationRep:
    Blood is thicker than innocent stranger.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I went to a faith school and I was taught that in this situation, you shouldn't kill the person - even if it will save more lives. It is impossible to weigh up the importance of one life against many.

I'm not religious so I would definitely kill Mr X if my family were involved but I'm not sure what I'd do if instead of my family, these people were strangers. Hopefully this situation will not arise and I won't have to make the decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    If the situation was reversed, and I was Mr. X, I'd gladly accept I was going to be shot.
    And why would you 'accept' being murdered?

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say "shoot the kidnapper" but then I read your note, damn your note!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    I went to a faith school and I was taught that in this situation, you shouldn't kill the person - even if it will save more lives. It is impossible to weigh up the importance of one life against many.

I'm not religious so I would definitely kill Mr X if my family were involved but I'm not sure what I'd do if instead of my family, these people were strangers. Hopefully this situation will not arise and I won't have to make the decision.
    It's actually got nothing to do with religion. It's called liberalism. The secular belief that everyone has a right to life that cannot be quantified.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would start praying, I have no idea what else I would do, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Shoot the kidnapper?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by 2026)
    And why would you 'accept' being murdered?
    Call this circular if you want, but: largely because I'd know I'd do the same if it was my family there.

(Original post by death.drop)
    if the kidnapper has just handed you the gun why not shoot the kidnapper?
    Always a smart ass :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becksy)
    I think I would start praying, I have no idea what else I would do, lol.
    Well you could point the gun to yourself. That's an option no one has raised yet. This way, you save your family, the innocent stranger and yourself from guilt.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this is what I would do.

I would have the gun so I would threaten the kidnapper and get someone to tie him up. I will keep the gun pointed at him, get someone to phone the police, wait for the police to arrive and arrest him.

Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    I'd put Mr.Xs' brains all over the shop in a moment.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't kill anyone intentionally, stranger or not

ReputationRep:
    :yep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    Well you could point the gun to yourself. That's an option no one has raised yet. This way, you save your family, the innocent stranger and yourself from guilt.
    I was going to suggest that but then I realised that if you shoot yourself then the kidnapper is going to go and kill your loved one anyway.

ReputationRep:
    2026 sure does like strangers, even more than his entire family/

ReputationRep:
    i would probably laugh at the kidnapper giving me the gun, a lot. Then i wouldnt kill him, just make him get naked and have him do silly things like dance while i wait for the police i have just called. (probably from the mobile he just gave me....)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    UTILITARIANIST ALERT! greatest good - kill innocent person for greatest benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    i would probably laugh at the kidnapper giving me the gun, a lot. Then i wouldnt kill him, just make him get naked and have him do silly things like dance while i wait for the police i have just called. (probably from the mobile he just gave me....)
    Hey, thats my plan apart from the get him to dance naked bit, lol.

ReputationRep:
    You kill the inocent person, you cannot save everybody and your duty is to your loved ones first and foremost. You shoulder the burden of murder for them.

ReputationRep:
    That Mr X would be SO dead

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.