The Student Room Group

Is suicide selfish?

Remember a thread not so long ago on H&R where someone said that suicide was the most selfish thing in the world. The culprit got pounced on pretty quickly and the post was deleted, but I thought it would make an interesting discussion.

Now before I get pounced on here, a close relative of mine was depressed and considered killing himself, and I know that alot of TSR users suffer from depression. I am not condoning their suicidal behaviour. On one side of the coin, you can argue that for some people living life is too painful and no one else can understand, with all these worries about the future and stuff such as relationships and finane making your life hell. On the other hand, one could argue that people who commit suicide take the easy way out and do not consider the impact it will have on their family and those around them.

Personally I believe that, never being suicidal myself, I'm not really in a position to comment, that's why I'd love your ideas about this. I guess we can also allow discussion on people who are suicidal because of the way they live, such as 'emos' (I hate the generalised word but how else can I refer to them, using a term everyone is familiar with?). I was very bitter at my relative's suicidal tendencies at first and thought it was a very selfish thing to do, but I am older and wiser now, and can begin to understand the pain he was going through. In short, I do believe that suicide is selfish to an extent. Neg me if you will, but I am just speaking my mind here. However, I do think overiding my impression of selfishness is the pain that these people are said to go through.

I guess I think this way because when I look back I wonder how ****ed up I would have been if my relative killed himself :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd say it's a really selfish thing to do as well.

I've thought about it myself, and really, the impact it would have is one of two things keeping me here (the other being that I could be wrong about the future only bringing harder times). Sometimes, I feel dying in a car accident (ie, not my fault) would be the best way out. This opinion is still selfish, but if no-one knows about it, they can't blame me.

If someone close to me comitted suicide, I'd be annoyed at them for wasting the everything I've done for them. Afterall, it's pretty similar to being angry at someone who murdered this person, though probably leaving you feeling more guilty.

At least for me, there's enough distractions in the world to keep me going. Maybe because I'm not seriously suicidal.
It's very selfish.

Sometimes people might think it's the only option left to take (and in a small minority of cases that might be half-way truthful), however it's selfish nonetheless.
It's always been my opinion, that if someone really, really wants to just die and leave the world, then they should be allowed to- and that the most selfish people are the ones who insist on keeping them alive for their own reasons. It's ultimately a person's own choice what they do with their life, and that extends to ending it.

Edit: And I'm all for Futurama-style suicide booths!
It's selfish in that person who commits suicide is thinking primarily of themselves; however, who are we to say that, as a last resort after the person has level-headedly weighed up their situation, it is not a reasonable choice to take?
Reply 5
The obvious answer to the title's question is "yes". No **** it is.
It really is, not only because you have taken yourself away from those who love you, but also someone has to find you, and that is not fair, plus people will blame themselves. I understand people do it, but i think it is the ultimate selfish act.
I think it is incredibly selfish to accuse someone who is suicidal and therefore mentally ill, as being 'selfish'.. people cant be expected to consider the feelings of others when they can barely care about their own. If you're suffering from depression the whole world caves in on you and it gets to the point when you want the pain to stop no matter what.. its not a case of being selfish as there is no rational thought.

People should have control over their own lives IMO.
DisgruntledMoth
It's always been my opinion, that if someone really, really wants to just die and leave the world, then they should be allowed to- and that the most selfish people are the ones who insist on keeping them alive for their own reasons. It's ultimately a person's own choice what they do with their life, and that extends to ending it.

Edit: And I'm all for Futurama-style suicide booths!

:ditto:
I hate the fact that the suicidal person is seen as selfish, I think it's more selfish to keep them alive just so you don't get hurt. So glad someone shares my view!
It's selfish to commit suicide, but it's selfish to force someone to keep living when they don't want to. We're all selfish bastards one way or another.
Reply 10
I find its like taking the easy way out, when your vision is marred by pessimistic thoughts.

So yes, its quite selfish in the sense that you just want to give up and die, however, depression is a very personal issue, and noone but yourself can see the light the the clouds
Reply 11
I could never commit suicide because I have first hand experience of the emotional devastation it leaves behind. Obviously, circumstances differ, but my friend did not leave any reason for his actions: he did not talk to any of his friends, he just went ahead and did it. The day before, he was joking and laughing with his friends. The next, he was gone. The hundreds at his funeral were completely heartbroken. I agree that it is a selfish thing to do.
generalebriety
It's selfish to commit suicide, but it's selfish to force someone to keep living when they don't want to. We're all selfish bastards one way or another.

Yes, I got ever-so-slightly depressed when reading Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene; interesting book though! :p:
I think some forms of it can be more selfish than others. People who intentionally crash their cars. Sometimes killing the innocent people in the other car, sometimes killing mothers and children when they themselves go on living. people who jump in front of trains in full veiw of the public. In front of children, lovely.

But I think that you can't be thinking rationally anyway if you do something like that. So I try not to judge.
jismith1989
Yes, I got ever-so-slightly depressed when reading Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene; interesting book though! :p:

Believe it or not, my opinion wasn't based on any tripe Dawkins wrote. I've never read it. :p:
I don't think people who accuse suicide of being ''selfish'' really understand the turmoil that someone may be going through that means they want to take their own life. Expecting someone to live their same miserable life day in day out for the sake of ''being there'' for family is potentially more selfish than the act of suicide itself. It's only in real extreme circumstances, like say if you're the only family for a small child, that suicide is pretty selfish - but even then, as someone who hasn't felt depressed enough to want to take their own life, I'm not sure whether I would be able to override such feelings. :s-smilie:
Reply 16
no, I don't think it's selfish. I could never fault a person for being so incredibly sad that they can't bear even to live anymore, when I think about how much I would do to save my own life - I can't imagine being in the situation where I would really want to give it up.

I honestly believe that most people who have committed suicide think so lowly of themselves, that they believe the world would be a better place without them, and their families would be better off without them. of course that's never the case, but rational and logical thinking is not a standard I would set for the chronically depressed or manic.
generalebriety
Believe it or not, my opinion wasn't based on any tripe Dawkins wrote. I've never read it. :p:

I didn't suggest that your tripe was based on Dawkins. :p: I just wanted to add a slightly tangential little comment of my own.
It's only selfish if you don't think about it carefully; we spend every day trying to better our lives so who are we to judge someone who feels that ending their life is for the better? Suicidal thoughts come with mental illnesses, not just because they don't feel up to life one day.
Reply 19
Yes.