Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    It's only selfish if you don't think about it carefully; we spend every day trying to better our lives so who are we to judge someone who feels that ending their life is for the better? Suicidal thoughts come with mental illnesses, not just because they don't feel up to life one day.
    See, the problem with the term "mental illness" is that that term implies it can be cured. What if it can't, and you have to live your whole life with a mental illness that made every waking moment feel like emotional torture? Of course, depression can be cured a lot of the time, but you have no guarantee...

ReputationRep:
    IF they endanger other people, I think so... otherwise, no.

Besides, show me someone who isn't selfish.

ReputationRep:
    Generally I think it is not at all selfish and any person who disagrees is just wrong. A person should have control over their life(or death) whenever possilbe. A murderer takes this control away from a person and forces them to death. Therefore any person who forces someone in to life(or beleives they should continue to live against their will) is morally on par with a muderer.

N.B The above only applies if the person is in a fit mental state to decide if they want to live or die, otherwise they should be helped out of their sucidal state becasue death is not what they truly want. But if a person wants to die and changing their mind is impossible then this means they truly want to die and should be allowed to do so.

However it's selfish if you have children which are financially and emotionally dependant on you becasue when you created them you made a commitment which should not be broken.

ReputationRep:
    it's selfish if you give up before you've even started. like teenagers.

If my friend lost his wife and kids I'd respect his choice whether to stay or go. It's his choice and he shouldn't feel pressured to endure that pain.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that someone that commits suicide, had made an informed decision on their life, and that it is certainly not a decision that they would take lightly. Who are we to say what is selfish and what is not. Until we have felt somebodys emotions, understood what it is like for them to life, then we have no right to judge what is right or wrong for them to do. We have to remember that this is the last chance saloon. To perform a suicide, can not be done with the faintest of hearts. There must be just reasons for they're actions, and I believe they are within they're own right to perform them.

Selfish... it's not. Devastating... it is.

ReputationRep:
    Having had my father take his own life when I was 15, I know the devastating effects suicide can have on all the loved ones left behind. Although, a lot of my family members believe him to be quite selfish, I don't share that view.

In my eyes, for my father to be so tormented, so pained and suffering so much to the extent that he actually went through all the processes in order to kill himself, he can't be accused of being selfish. After suffering for 25 years with Depression and Alcoholism, he was in no fit mental state. His actions and behaviours were irrational and he wasn't thinking straight.

Nobody suffering to that extent should be labelled selfish because it is their pain and demons which take over. Suggesting they are selfish implies that purposely carried out those actions fully being aware of what effect it what have on those left behind. However, suicidals often feel worthless. They believe that everyone else will be better off without them in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    I think it has to be to some extent. Moreso in the case of fasionista Bridge End types.

ReputationRep:
    It is wrong, thats for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yes its selfish & misguided, but then people thinking of suicide aren't exactly in the best state of mind

ReputationRep:
    selfish for sure. think about people who are worse off than you (there are always people who are worse off, ALWAYS) you hsould be thankful for what you have in the world, not criticizing your life to the extent of suicialness..

(lol i made up a word )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    We're all selfish *******s one way or another.
    QFT

ReputationRep:
    No and i wouldnt mind helping someone to commit suicide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    I think it is incredibly selfish to accuse someone who is suicidal and therefore mentally ill, as being 'selfish'.. people cant be expected to consider the feelings of others when they can barely care about their own. If you're suffering from depression the whole world caves in on you and it gets to the point when you want the pain to stop no matter what.. its not a case of being selfish as there is no rational thought.

People should have control over their own lives IMO.
    Well said.

(Original post by xxstace123xx)
    It is wrong, thats for sure.
    Why is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    selfish for sure. think about people who are worse off than you (there are always people who are worse off, ALWAYS) you hsould be thankful for what you have in the world, not criticizing your life to the extent of suicialness..

(lol i made up a word )
    That's simply not true. What if the person who commits suicide has no close associations whatsoever? What if he or she lives on the street? And why should one be 'thankful' for what what they've got in life? 'Thankful' to whom?

ReputationRep:
    It is very selfish.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    'Thankful' to whom?
    goD?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    For me it'd be selfish if they left without a trace, without letting others know about their condition and not asking for help.

How can you believe that nobody cares if you died, when there are friends right in front of your face? I wouldn't have thought they were that blinded by their feelings.

Having said that in cases where there are bad parents, and not so good friends... It'd be hypocritical for them to call the person selfish afterward.

ReputationRep:
    What if an extremely selfish and abusive person commits suicide wouldnt it be like a present for society?

ReputationRep:
    life must be absolutely awful for someone to want to kill themselves. I can't even imagine how bad it must be cause i've never felt like it.
    To people who commit suicide it must feel like escape or an end or eternal sleep or whatever they want to think.
    But whose to say death is better than life?

As bad as anything ever got in my life i'd stay with life , cause it's what i know.Cause even if it's almost non-existent there's a chance that life can get better but once you're dead....?

Then what ? How do you know what "nothing" is like , can you even imagine not being conscious ?

For anyone whose depressed or considering killing themselves it's not a matter of selfishness.
    Please try to believe in hope and love.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UAG)
    goD?:rolleyes:
    Lol. There's probably no reason to be thankful to the geezer who made your life a misery.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.