30th TSR General Election. VOTE HERE! Watch

Poll: Cast Your Vote in the TSR General Election!
TSR Labour Party (86)
43.22%
TSR Conservative and Unionist Party (49)
24.62%
SoggyCabbages, Independent Candidate (5)
2.51%
Barnetlad, Independent Candidate (7)
3.52%
Aph, Independent Candidate (2)
1.01%
CatusStarbright, Independent Candidate (5)
2.51%
TSR Liberal Democrat Party (31)
15.58%
TSR Libertarian Party (11)
5.53%
Spoil Ballot (3)
1.51%
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Vote Tory or the world as we know it crumbles into dust, and the communist revolution rises and spreads misery everywhere they go.
Last edited by The Mogg; 2 months ago
JMR2020.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The Mogg)

Vote Tory or the world as we know it crumbles into dust, and the communist revolution rises and spreads misery everywhere they go.

Boring 😴
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Questions on public transport to the two of the parties. I support a publicly owned railway but locally managed as far as possible- so the Welsh government would manage the railways in Wales, Scottish in Scotland, the London Mayor more services in London (via TfL), and I think this is easily achievable for local services in Cornwall, the Isle of Wight, Merseyside, West Midlands, the north-east and possibly much of Yorkshire.

Baron of Sealand What are the Conservatives' fares policies?
JMR2019. I am concerned that free travel for under 25s could make it easier for children to run away from home- how would you seek to stop this?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Questions on public transport to the two of the parties. I support a publicly owned railway but locally managed as far as possible- so the Welsh government would manage the railways in Wales, Scottish in Scotland, the London Mayor more services in London (via TfL), and I think this is easily achievable for local services in Cornwall, the Isle of Wight, Merseyside, West Midlands, the north-east and possibly much of Yorkshire.

JMR2019. I am concerned that free travel for under 25s could make it easier for children to run away from home- how would you seek to stop this?
The formula for rail fare increases may be amended slightly but Network Rail will continue to receive funding from ticket sales,
Bailey14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Thanks for the question. I'm happy to respond on behalf of the Labour Party, as deputy leader. You've raised a concern that is very important - with many more children and young persons going missing. There are a few ways we will ensure that our policy of creating free travel doesn't result in endangering the persons covered.

For free travel for under-25s, over-65s and people with disabilities and chronic health conditions, there would be traceable travel cards issued, like the existing oyster card system. These people would still have to get through barriers for tube services and tap in on buses - so therefore there should be no loophole. We could also explore the idea of parents having certain controls of the card (for under-18s), in the sense that they can track where the card has been tapped in and at what time. This could also apply for vulnerable persons eligible for free travel, under the criteria.
Bailey14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
2.png
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Policies:

JMR2019. (Labour)
How do you intend to fund the £26 billion for the NHS, the removal of tuition fees, making transport free/'affordable' and making broadband free?

Why do you think that funding all schools equally with the same amount of money is appropriate? Some schools are much bigger than others, some schools are more deprived, some schools have more SEND children in them that others. How do you justify this?

What 'green jobs' do you envisage there being in the north?

Baron of Sealand (Conservative and Unionist Party)
Actually freedom of movement currently does have some restrictions so how can you say you'll end something that doesn't exist?

How do you plan to *facilitate free trade with the rest of the world?

What are 'anti-drown measures', and what powers will you grant to combat anti-terrorism? And grant them to who?

How do you intend to make tuition fees more flexible?

SoggyCabbages (Independent)
Which parts of the Brexit deal would you renegotiate?

What would you replace Universal Credit with?

For those reading this thread who are perhaps less aware of your voting/legislative record, what would you consider your highlights of the past term to be?

barnetlad (Independent)
How would you seek to reduce red meat consumption by a third in such a short space of time?

What would be in this separate driving test for large ‘Chelsea tractor’ cars, and do you think it's realistic to force out non-electric cars so quickly?

Why would you end zero hours contracts and the flexible working that the gig economy offers?

Aph (Independent)
With regards to your courts pledge, haven't you literally just attempted to do this?

Why would you want to federate the UK and how is a codified constitution supposed to restore trust and stability?

What would you envisage your educational reforms looking like (in more detail)?

TheRadishPrince (Liberal Democrats)
Why would you campaign to stop Brexit and alienate a potential voting base who prefers remain but believes in following through with the result of the referendum?

How can you claim to want to protect the environment yet pledge to make train and air travel cheaper - how do you reconcile these stances?

If you're adding BSL and computer programming skills to the school curriculum, what are you taking out of it?

Mr T 999 (Libertarians)
How will you 'defend people' from government surveillance?

What do you mean with regards to 'reactionary firearms policies'?

How will you ensure high-quality 16-18 education and affordable housing for our future generations?

Why do you want a budget surplus, and how do you reconcile large tax cuts with that commitment?
Taxation - Create two new income tax thresholds, a lower additional rate at 50% (£150-300k) and higher additional rate at 60% (£300k+) - Wealth tax at a lower rate at 2% (wealth of £50million-£1bn), and higher rate of 3% at £1bn+ -Increase corporation tax to 26%
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
CVStarbright strikes again, a good manifesto nonetheless
I will take that 04, thank you.

(Original post by Rakas21)
Catus - Professional, nice and well laid out. It is just an upgrade of previous efforts though. 7/10.

On this occasion i think that everybody bar perhaps Aph and Soggy did a pretty reasonable job but that the only one i looked away thinking how attractive it was, was Catus even if she was not all that original. For the parties i will narrowly give the win to Labour purely because i think when combined with their mini banners, it all looks good and gets the message across. I do think the manifesto from the last two elections was much better designed though and that most people only had small amendments to improve their score.

Well done Catus and Labour, Will do policy tomorrow.
(Original post by The Mogg)
Aph - Regardless of the design being pretty good in my opinion, recycling old designs is worthy of negative points (-1/10)
Catus - Although the above should apply, there are subtle changes in this one which make it an exception, and it's Catus... (6.5/10)
Thank you guys. I will hold my hands up and say that the design could have been more original, and I was planning on that being the case, but this rather stressed-out feline did not manage to make time to do so. My bad.

Edit: I will answer policy responses tomorrow as I'm probably just about to feel sleepy.
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 2 months ago
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How would you seek to reduce red meat consumption by a third in such a short space of time?

There are a few ways I would do this:
- An obligation on all restaurants, cafes and ready to eat food sellers to provide vegan and non-red meat options, at no higher prices than red meat
- A maximum size of some products such as burgers and an obligation to provide small sizes. So if you eat meat it is a smaller portion.
- An end to red meat in school meals and those provided on the premises of all parts of the public sector, on all trains, coaches and railway premises.
- An incentives scheme to make it financially worthwhile for red meat farmers to switch to other forms of food.
- Restrictions on those who do not produce red meat now, with protections for those who do, so as to reduce supply.
- At music venues/events, red meat products only to be served if the artists have 'opted in' to there being provided.
If you believe in a Green voice and support for the policies of Plaid Cymru, vote for Barnetlad.

Os ydych yn credu mewn llais gwyrdd a chefnogaeth i bolisïau Plaid Cymru, pleidleisiwch dros Barnetlad.
Erm, the above is certainly never a policy that we'd dream of bringing forward in Plaid Cymru. We're a party that supports Welsh farming, not one that wants to sell hill farmers down the river like Thatcher did with the heavy industry.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JMR2019.)
Taxation - Create two new income tax thresholds, a lower additional rate at 50% (£150-300k) and higher additional rate at 60% (£300k+) - Wealth tax at a lower rate at 2% (wealth of £50million-£1bn), and higher rate of 3% at £1bn+ -Increase corporation tax to 26%
I think the question was how are you going to generate more money, not cause the rich to all abandon the UK and reduce the amount of taxation the government takes in.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
All the other parties are antisemitic, are they?
Well, we are clearly not.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Baron of Sealand (Conservative and Unionist Party)
Actually freedom of movement currently does have some restrictions so how can you say you'll end something that doesn't exist?

How do you plan to *facilitate free trade with the rest of the world?

What are 'anti-drown measures', and what powers will you grant to combat anti-terrorism? And grant them to who?

How do you intend to make tuition fees more flexible?
What we meant by ending freedom of movement is that non-British European Union citizens will no longer be able to move to the UK for work, study, or just to live in the country without going through the normal immigration system without a visa.

We will approach different countries in the world with the goal to set up free-trade agreements with them, and staff from our diplomatic offices will be tasked with the portfolio to increase trade with foreign countries. We have also been closely monitoring current trade deals such as the EU-MERCOSUR one and the one in the ASEAN to see the opportunity to tag on to them.

The anti-drone would be everything modern technology allows us to do, including interfering with the signal and simply shooting them down.

The powers will be of course granted to government agencies including the police and MI5 and MI6.

The fees caps will be relaxed. The best and worst universities should not cost the same.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
What we meant by ending freedom of movement is that non-British European Union citizens will no longer be able to move to the UK for work, study, or just to live in the country without going through the normal immigration system without a visa.
Clarity as to the Conservative policy, thank you.

I want the UK to remain in the European Union. I think we will be economically better off by doing so, the co-operation on security is vital, and we can jointly work to combat climate change. A democracy is not a democracy unless it can change its mind, and I think a referendum decision can only be changed via a referendum.

Vote for barnetlad for a referendum- the EU withdrawal agreement v Remain- and I will campaign for Remain.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I was, and remain, a conservative libertarian/paleolibertarian; I haven’t held socially liberal views for several years.
Ah, fair play then. I'm generally speaking socially liberal except for abortion (I'm pro-life in all cases) and am neutral on gay issues.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well, we are clearly not.
Are we?
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why would any rich person pay 50-60% tax or even the wealth tax? If they cba to pay 45% and tax evasion/avoidence are costing us billions what makes you think they will willing to pay that?

Don't you realise you'll end up scaring away all these entrepreneurs who will end up taking their business abroad costing the UK jobs and growth and disencouraging entrepreneurship?
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why would anyone accept giving the majority of what they earn to the government?
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Why would anyone accept giving the majority of what they earn to the government?
Because those pesky well off people deserve to get their money stolen by the government to fund free internet.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TheRadishPrince)
Thank you for your questions.

1) I believe that on matters of Brexit, if we were to win another election then that is the democratic mandate from the people to ensure Brexit does not occur during our time in power. People have already voted for us to safeguard them from Brexit in the past and we will continue to do so, honouring the TSR Referendum we had in the process.

2) In freezing train fares we prevent prices continuously being raised to a more 'premium' level each passing year. By freezing them we can encourage more use of our excellent rail system, reducing the amount of traffic on our roads and emissions said vehicles give out. Air travel being cheaper for less frequent fliers also encourages more use of planes than previously which will help airlines economically and give more monetary headroom to meet new environmental guidelines set out for them.

3) Computer Science is already a GCSE qualification so there would not need to be a removal of any kind for that to exist due to its heavy programming based nature. It would be an equivalent to some schools making Religious Studies compulsory at GCSE level, like for myself.

BSL I feel would fit best under the MFL line of subjects along the likes of French and Spanish. There are thousands of students with zero interest in taking these languages as they feel there is no use for them in the real world (Britain especially). Sign Language, I hope, will be a fresh approach to languages that may interest some of these students in a way that languages has not before and I believe it would be a popular choice once introduced.
1. I understand that stance, but aren't you then just encouraging commentators to conflate GE votes with Brexit mandates? Does that not fuel the fire of this GE being a mostly a proxy for another referendum?

2. I can understand the encouragement with regards to rail travel, but your policies with regards to air travel just seem inconsistent in my view.

3. Okay, so you're making it a compulsory GCSE subject? Does that mean children now have one less choice about subject they take at GCSE level? What about lower down in the school system, how is that to work?

Why do you think students will consider it useful, when the vast majority of us have probably never come into close contact with a deaf person? Who is to teach BSL, do you plan on training professionals to teach or will you force ordinary teachers to do an amateur job?
To reply to the questions asked by CatusStarbright

There are a few ways I would do this:
- An obligation on all restaurants, cafes and ready to eat food sellers to provide vegan and non-red meat options, at no higher prices than red meat
- A maximum size of some products such as burgers and an obligation to provide small sizes. So if you eat meat it is a smaller portion.
- An end to red meat in school meals and those provided on the premises of all parts of the public sector, on all trains, coaches and railway premises.
- An incentives scheme to make it financially worthwhile for red meat farmers to switch to other forms of food.
- Restrictions on those who do not produce red meat now, with protections for those who do, so as to reduce supply.
- At music venues/events, red meat products only to be served if the artists have 'opted in' to there being provided.
Essentially then, you want enormous government intervention into business. Why do you think that it is appropriate to prevent schoolchildren from having access to read meat in school, when this is the age group that needs it most? Especially when you consider that some children's families will not be able to afford meat regularly, and certainly can't afford the substitute products.
What would be in this separate driving test for large ‘Chelsea tractor’ cars, and do you think it's realistic to force out non-electric cars so quickly?

There would be a definition of what is a large car, which would have a separate driving licence category. To drive one you have to pass a test in one. As they are larger vehicles and the impact of a crash can be greater than a standard sized car, I would have the same medical standards as for buses and heavy goods vehicles.

I think that as there is much less need for company vehicles for non-goods purposes, it is realistic. Often a company car is just simply a perk. What I would do is ensure that this was only for cars not vans, and taxis/minicab changes are separate.
Yes, so what would the content of this test be? How would it be different?

I think you misunderstand again. Is it realistic to convert everyone to electric so quickly? Do we have enough power in the national grid, do we have sufficient rollout of electric charging points, etc.?
Why would you end zero hours contracts and the flexible working that the gig economy offers?

These are a form of exploitation, and do not allow most people in those situation to plan for things such as a mortgage, rent above a certain level, or to an extent practical things such as childcare. You can have a degree of flexibility with a minimum number of contracted hours per month.
However they are very useful for those who wish to make more money on the side, or who have commitments which fluctuate, meaning one week they would struggle to work at all and the next they are fine to take on a few shifts.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)
1. Prevent the state from spying on its citizens through the internet, for example.

2. People have the right to bear arms! guns were banned due to knee jerk reactions and evidence has shown banning guns failed to make the UK safer.

3. By introducing education vouchers to increase access to private education and reviewing/reforming A-levels to make sure they are fit for today's standards.
Reducing regulations around developments on brownfields site, thus, accelerating the development of new houses being built. This will allow the free markets to meet the increasing demand for affordable housing.

4. A budget surplus will allow us increased flexibility, lower interest costs and the ability to invest in future growth. If we were to enter government we will do a review of all departments and make cuts where necessary to fund our tax cuts.
1. How?

2. No, we do not live in America so people do not have the right to bear arms. Does evidence indicate the UK would be no less safe if the firearms regime were liberalised?

3. So not very much change then.
Would this sacrifice standards at all? Would the free market actually provide affordable housing or just charge a high price that people desperately try to meet?

4. But a budget surplus means that a government isn't investing, surely? So you would cut public services to fund tax cuts then?

Would you make any changes to the normal immigration system?
We will approach different countries in the world with the goal to set up free-trade agreements with them, and staff from our diplomatic offices will be tasked with the portfolio to increase trade with foreign countries. We have also been closely monitoring current trade deals such as the EU-MERCOSUR one and the one in the ASEAN to see the opportunity to tag on to them.
I see. Thank you for your response.
The anti-drone would be everything modern technology allows us to do, including interfering with the signal and simply shooting them down.

The powers will be of course granted to government agencies including the police and MI5 and MI6.
Ah you meant anti-drone. I'm with you - I didn't understand what 'anti-drown' meant.

So would you say that the Investigatory Powers Act 2016 doesn't go far enough, despite its condemnation by human rights watchdogs and the condemnation of its (more lax) predecessor in a court of law?
The fees caps will be relaxed. The best and worst universities should not cost the same.
They don't at the moment, and if you raise the caps then universities will just raise their prices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.53%
No (241)
33.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed