Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is a pilonidal sinus. It can be cured by a very simple operation.

I just always thought it was a boil or something because I got them quite often when I was a kid.

This is the last thing I wanted to hear - I have a massive fear of hospitals as well and operations - they scare me.

Is there no other way to get rid of it or does it have to be operation? . . .

Also how is it that its mainly associated with men? One of the websites that someone posted said it affects 1 in 100 men, yet 1 in 1000 women, unlucky me , but its also hereditary, where my Dad had it and my Aunty had it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. It's an extremely common condition, doctors see it all the time, and the procedure is really minor.

(Original post by Spencer Wells)
    Don't worry. It's an extremely common condition, doctors see it all the time, and the procedure is really minor.
    So I wouldn't be staying in hospital then? Literally just in, cut, out? . . . . .

Some websites have said that the procedure doesn't necessarily cure it either?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I wouldn't be staying in hospital then? Literally just in, cut, out? . . . . .

Some websites have said that the procedure doesn't necessarily cure it either?!
    Well no recurrence is a recognised complication, but it is the standard treatment.
    And usually it's a day case - no overnight stays.

Well no recurrence is a recognised complication, but it is the standard treatment.
    And usually it's a day case - no overnight stays.
    Ooooo kk.

Good o - hospital food or beds really don't take my fancy (from what i've heard and seen)?! :rolleyes:

Spencer Wells - have you had this then? You seem to know a fair bit or do you know someone who has suffered with it?

ReputationRep:
    Spencer Wells - have you had this then? You seem to know a fair bit or do you know someone who has suffered with it?
    I'm a student doctor - I've seen patients with it.

I'm a student doctor - I've seen patients with it.
    Ahhhhh

Thank you for diagnosing me online, although goin Dr's Monday to get it checked thoroughly. At least its not as bad as i thought, although its still bad (if that makes sense lol.

One other thing - is it a good sign that I haven't had any pus come out or does it not matter? . . .I just seem to get the pain @ my bottom of my spine (tail bone location) and smallish lump? . .

ReputationRep:
    The absence of pus doesn't mean much - it can all be hidden away and not come out until operation (an abscess) or it may not be badly infected or it may be infected with an organism that doesn;t produce much pus.

ReputationRep:
    I had pain in my coccyx for about 4 days before an abscess came up, and it took 2 days for it to leak a bit before I went to a nurse about it. Antibiotics will clear up the infection but they won't get rid of it.

I'm still facing up to this bit, I don't want anything done about mine!

The absence of pus doesn't mean much - it can all be hidden away and not come out until operation (an abscess) or it may not be badly infected or it may be infected with an organism that doesn;t produce much pus.
    Ooooo okey dokey - thanks Just that not once since iv had this thing which is about 3times now has any pus come about - its just usually the pain in my (_l_), tender for a certain amount of days, usually run to mum with it and she shoves hot caster oil on it, which works wonders - usually following day its gone and I can sit on my butt in peace. lol

(Original post by noodles!)
    I had pain in my coccyx for about 4 days before an abscess came up, and it took 2 days for it to leak a bit before I went to a nurse about it. Antibiotics will clear up the infection but they won't get rid of it.

I'm still facing up to this bit, I don't want anything done about mine!

Mind me asking, how long have you been suffering with yours? . . . what do you do to help alleviate the pain?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard about this condition as well. Its not as bad as you would think!
    My Clarinet teachers son had the operation to remove his, and according to her it went very well and it was a day case as well. (I don't know why she decided to tell us about it).
    I hope everything goes well for you at the doctors, but at least the mystery of what it is seems to have been solved!

ReputationRep:
    doctor time!!! or even a beautitian, they can sort out the root and stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Mind me asking, how long have you been suffering with yours? . . . what do you do to help alleviate the pain?
    Well once the abscess has drained the pain goes away. But the best thing to do while it is hurting is to try and find a position you can lie/sit in (preferably lie) and don't use it too much to irritate it. My mistake was that I didn't know what it was so I just carried on using it thinking that if it was coccyx pain it would go away.

It's a bit of a false friend once the abscess is gone though, mine is doing nothing at the moment but I'm left with these small hole things which are the tracts.

I bet someone else has said this already, but my friend's dad (who is a doctor) reccommended a hot, salty bath

(Original post by noodles!)
    Well once the abscess has drained the pain goes away. But the best thing to do while it is hurting is to try and find a position you can lie/sit in (preferably lie) and don't use it too much to irritate it. My mistake was that I didn't know what it was so I just carried on using it thinking that if it was coccyx pain it would go away.

It's a bit of a false friend once the abscess is gone though, mine is doing nothing at the moment but I'm left with these small hole things which are the tracts.

I bet someone else has said this already, but my friend's dad (who is a doctor) recommended a hot, salty bath
    Oooooo, I will try that method later this evening and when my dad gets back ask him what he did to ease his - my guess is he used caster oil, but we haven't got none

Since its been hurting, I have been sitting properly, lol correcting my posture so im not putting pressure on my butt - wasn't easy at wrk today, but I managed to get by the 6hrs.

Thanks for your advice and help

ReputationRep:
    I guess you should resist from touching your ass for a while. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if it's in your family then what did your other family members do?

ReputationRep:
    Right,

This is goin to sound a tad odd, but I seem to have a hair root causing me trouble in my butt, at the base of my spine and its extremely painful. I can hardly sit properly and often found myself sitting in the perch position. Last time I had it my mum used hottish caster oil, put it on the area to take out the inflammation - after that it went away, BUT it seems to of come back again, but a lot worse. Funnily enough my dad and my aunty have suffered the same thing - obviously it runs in the family!

My mum currently isnt here to look at it (on holiday) and I cant find the caster oil to try and treat the area myself - anyone got any ideas they can think of that will help me out in the meantime?

Thanks
    Worst-case scenario.

Are you overweight, perchance?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.