d15loisjones
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm thinking of going into psychology as my career option however im curious to know what the course is like and what you learn? Also what A Levels did you take to apply for Psychology?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by d15loisjones)
Hi, I'm thinking of going into psychology as my career option however im curious to know what the course is like and what you learn? Also what A Levels did you take to apply for Psychology?
Hey, :hello:

It would depend on the university as each course may differ slightly.

You may wish to have a little browse on some university websites and check out the course pages for Psychology to see some of the content.

For example at Liverpool Hope in year one these areas would come up:

• Introduction to the scientific method as applied in Psychology

• Application of the scientific method to an understanding of individuals and of groups
• Research Design and Analysis
• Considering the ethical challenges of studying people
• Cultural variables that shape individuals and groups*
• Examining evidence for- and the causes of, current-day social problems
• Basic programming skills in designing experiments that measure accuracy and reaction time

Also, each university may have different requirements in terms of subjects required to be studied previous. We ask for 112-120 UCAS points for Psychology and don't require Psychology to be studied previously or any specific subject at A-Level. We do however ask for a grade 4 in Mathematics GCSE due to the accreditation attached with the course.

I hope this helps,
Tom:shakehand:
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If it's BPS accredited, there are a certain number of modules that will be the same across all universities. Check out the module list on some of their websites to get an idea. For example, all accredited courses require a certain amount of stats and research methods.

A-level wise, if you haven't picked them yet, I would advise at least one STEM subject, which is often a requirement for psych at uni, especially the higher ranked ones. I personally took psychology, sociology, philosophy, EPQ and an AS in Health and social care and went to UCL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.52%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.96%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
6.09%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
38.26%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.09%

Watched Threads