The Student Room Group

Anxiety about grades?

I'm a year 12 student and I have a lot of anxiety about university because of my GCSE grades.

GCSE results is an incredibly sensitive subject for me. I fully well know that I performed poorly (for me) during my exams which has led me to feel ashamed and disappointed of my grades. It causes me a lot of anxiety about getting into a top university and generally because they seem count for literally everything rn. I know my parents are proud of me for my grades regardless because I had a really ****ty year 11 (I was in a toxic/abusive situation with a boyfriend at the time which led me to attempt suicide when the relationship broke down) but I can't help but feel like **** about my grades and I don't know what to do anymore. I also feel like I can't speak about it with anyone.

Can someone please help me??? :frown:
Reply 1
Firstly, well done for finding a way of saying something about this.
Secondly, well done for getting through your GCSEs and on to A levels. That's an achievement in itself, let alone with the challenges you've faced thrown into the mix.
If there's none of the staff at your school you can talk to, have you spoken to your GP about your mental health? It's part of what they're there for. I'm assuming you're 16+ being in year 12 so, before any other worries happen, you don't have to take your parents to GP appointment if you don't want to & confidentiality = GP can't tell your parents without your permission...

At the time of GCSEs/A levels, it becomes all about the grades and the top universities. In the long run, it really doesn't matter. There's a lot of life which doesn't require you to have top grades from a russell group university. My ypunger brother was a straight A A level student (days well before A*), I definitely wasn't. The brother got a 1st from a russel group uni, I got a 2:1 from a non russel group uni... and we both faced the exact same challenges getting into work once finishing. Your grades and which uni you end up going to are, in the long term, not the end of the world.
Original post by milliejayne19
I'm a year 12 student and I have a lot of anxiety about university because of my GCSE grades.

GCSE results is an incredibly sensitive subject for me. I fully well know that I performed poorly (for me) during my exams which has led me to feel ashamed and disappointed of my grades. It causes me a lot of anxiety about getting into a top university and generally because they seem count for literally everything rn. I know my parents are proud of me for my grades regardless because I had a really ****ty year 11 (I was in a toxic/abusive situation with a boyfriend at the time which led me to attempt suicide when the relationship broke down) but I can't help but feel like **** about my grades and I don't know what to do anymore. I also feel like I can't speak about it with anyone.

Can someone please help me??? :frown:

Hello,
First of all I want to say I’m sorry you had a tough year and hope you’re feeling better now.
Just wondering would you maybe consider retaking some of your GCSE exams you aren’t happy with/ feel you could’ve done better in? Also what subjects are you taking currently at sixth form? GCSEs are not the be all and end all, though sometimes it can feel that way. Ask most adults and they won’t remember what subjects they took, never mind the grades. I’d focus on really excelling in your A levels/ IB or whatever qualifications you’re doing because universities especially love people who get better between GCSEs and sixth form, as it shows real passion and determination for the subject. Have you got any ideas for subjects at university?
I hope this is at least partially helpful
Have a nice day!
Original post by Almonti372
Hello,
First of all I want to say I’m sorry you had a tough year and hope you’re feeling better now.
Just wondering would you maybe consider retaking some of your GCSE exams you aren’t happy with/ feel you could’ve done better in? Also what subjects are you taking currently at sixth form? GCSEs are not the be all and end all, though sometimes it can feel that way. Ask most adults and they won’t remember what subjects they took, never mind the grades. I’d focus on really excelling in your A levels/ IB or whatever qualifications you’re doing because universities especially love people who get better between GCSEs and sixth form, as it shows real passion and determination for the subject. Have you got any ideas for subjects at university?
I hope this is at least partially helpful
Have a nice day!

I want to study physics or mechanical engineering at university, and I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I am applying for and doing as much as I am able to show my passion so that I can write a good personal statement in hope of that making up for my grades... still worried though. And yes I have definitely reconsidered taking all of my GCSEs for that matter, I'm not happy with a single grade (2 grade 8s, 5 grade 7s, 2 grade 6s - yes they aren't bad grades but for me personally they're bad, considering I was set to get grade 9s in 5 of my subjects) but I won't have time as I am mainly trying to focus on my a levels and extracurriculars.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Emily_B
Firstly, well done for finding a way of saying something about this.
Secondly, well done for getting through your GCSEs and on to A levels. That's an achievement in itself, let alone with the challenges you've faced thrown into the mix.
If there's none of the staff at your school you can talk to, have you spoken to your GP about your mental health? It's part of what they're there for. I'm assuming you're 16+ being in year 12 so, before any other worries happen, you don't have to take your parents to GP appointment if you don't want to & confidentiality = GP can't tell your parents without your permission...

At the time of GCSEs/A levels, it becomes all about the grades and the top universities. In the long run, it really doesn't matter. There's a lot of life which doesn't require you to have top grades from a russell group university. My younger brother was a straight A A level student (days well before A*), I definitely wasn't. The brother got a 1st from a russel group uni, I got a 2:1 from a non russel group uni... and we both faced the exact same challenges getting into work once finishing. Your grades and which uni you end up going to are, in the long term, not the end of the world.

I want to go to a top university for my subject (physics or mechanical engineering) which do happen to be russell group universities, this might sound selfish or ungrateful but tbh I won't settle for anything less (I am a perfectionist so I have high standards and I have pretty much been a high achiever all of my life).

After the overdose I was immediately referred back to CAMHs but I didn't find it helpful so I basically got them to discharge me. I am currently waiting to see a college counsellor to talk about the anxieties I have relating to my GCSE results:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest