The Student Room Group

Getting Built

I’m 17 (18 in under 2 months) and i’m looking to start the gym and get some muscle. I’m 6’5 and i wouldn’t say i’m pure bones but i’m definitely not muscle. i would love to get a personal trainer down my gym. 1. will a personal training even take me this young? 2. is a personal trainer just for in gym activities or will/can they help with diet plans and all that?
Reply 1
Original post by jerrybangers
I’m 17 (18 in under 2 months) and i’m looking to start the gym and get some muscle. I’m 6’5 and i wouldn’t say i’m pure bones but i’m definitely not muscle. i would love to get a personal trainer down my gym. 1. will a personal training even take me this young? 2. is a personal trainer just for in gym activities or will/can they help with diet plans and all that?

You should def start but you're gonna have to eat like 5 meals everyday and yes he will take you cuz i started going to the gym when i was 15 so yea just remember you have to eat cuz its way more important than lifting
Reply 2
Original post by jerrybangers

You can get a personal trainer from any age, I'm 17 and I have one myself. With regards to meal plans, That is something that you would have to ask your chosen PT but mine gives me meal plans as well.
The Personal Trainer market is full of charlatans and douches who have no idea what they're doing. I'd say less than 10% have a clue what's going on.

A typical personal trainer aims to do some kind of strenuous circuit perhaps involving weights, Burpees, skipping ropes - whatever. They work the client to the ground for an hour. Then repeat 3-4 days a week. How motivating is this for the client? Why would you do this long term?

This is cutting weight through basic calory deficit. You don't need a PT shouting at you with his her mediocre routine and crappy form.

There are some good PTs. They have good physiques. They can write good plans - which you could post on here to sense check before you agree. But know that it isn't a market that is regulated. Any Tom and Harry can be a PT.

You live in a YouTube generation. You have endless knowledge available. Save the money - read up on GCZL routine, or Starting Strength, follow channels like AthleanX. You can YouTube all the exercises for instruction. Start there. Do the same for nutrition. You need to up your calorie intake, particularly protein. Ask on here - there are several folks that have lots of experience. Make a blog in the fitness section
Etc
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest