Rikki1802
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got 52% (2:2) overall in second year, how likely is it that i can graduate with a first? (Second year is worth 30%, third year is worth 70%).
Last edited by Rikki1802; 1 month ago
Abed1999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Technically you can. You need at least 78% in your final year to get a first and 64% for a 2:1
Last edited by Abed1999; 1 month ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above but you need to check your degree regulations because most unis have methods of upgrading near misses.
snowprincess7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got a 3rd in second year lol, came out with a 2:1 (just). I got a first in third year so you really gotta aim and push to get firsts in all your modules
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by snowprincess7)
I got a 3rd in second year lol, came out with a 2:1 (just). I got a first in third year so you really gotta aim and push to get firsts in all your modules
What were you studying?
snowprincess7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MajorFader)
What were you studying?
Sociology
University of Portsmouth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rikki1802)
I got 52% (2:2) overall in second year, how likely is it that i can graduate with a first? (Second year is worth 30%, third year is worth 70%).
Hi Rikki1802

You could definitely graduate with a first if you put your mind to it.

Is that the only way your University calculates your final grade? Here at Portsmouth, it's calculated in three ways and the best is selected. For example one option is to use most of your grades from second year, the other option is most of your grades from third year and the third option is the best marks over both years.

To really ensure you are working to your best standard you can contact your Universities academic skills departments, they can check your work and see what you need to do to be getting firsts in your units. Also, make sure you utilise your course tutors and unit leaders. They can normally check over one A4 sheet of your work before you hand it in, to make sure you are working to the marking scheme. Make sure you schedule regular one to ones with your dissertation supervisor too and ask in the library for good research papers and journals to use. There is a wealth of help available for you, you just need to access it.

Wishing you the best of luck for your final year!

Alex - UoP Rep
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes its possible (would require 77/78 depending on if your uni rounds up). This is very doable, if you work hard.

It will require a strong work ethic, diligence and being willing to sacrifice social life for uni.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can, but you'd have to work very hard and buck the trend. Fortunately for you, the majority of your degree is calculated from your final year modules, so there's still a chance.
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Are you studying a more quantitative or qualitative degree? Why I ask is in my quantitative modules it was possible to get very high marks. But my qualitative modules, they only gave a max of 70-75 if you did very good work. And you need 78 to get a first.
Rikki1802
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by MrMusician95)
Are you studying a more quantitative or qualitative degree? Why I ask is in my quantitative modules it was possible to get very high marks. But my qualitative modules, they only gave a max of 70-75 if you did very good work. And you need 78 to get a first.
I study Philosophy and Politics so I guess they are more qualitative subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (16)
25.81%
1 (7)
11.29%
2 (9)
14.52%
3 (8)
12.9%
4 (7)
11.29%
5 (6)
9.68%