The Student Room Group

Doing maths a level...

Hey everyone,

I’m doing maths a-level and I’m absolutely terrified. I’m about a level 6/7 in Maths right now, I’m spending a lot of time revising it and I understand it in class and revision but struggle to apply it in a test. I hope this just comes with practice.

So what I’m looking for to be honest is reassurance from people who know what they’re talking about that Maths A-Level isn’t that daunting. Please 😂
A 6/7 is fine to do A-level Maths, provided you otherwise are enjoy and are motivated to do maths and mathematical work/problem solving. If the latter isn't the case then it's probably inadvisable regardless of how well you did in GCSE. Maths (before degree level at least) is mostly about just doing lots of practice problems and past papers etc to make sure you know the processes and techniques like the back of your hand and can do the basic computational work without thinking much, so the only thinking you need to do is figuring out how to apply what you know how to do to the problem.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
A 6/7 is fine to do A-level Maths, provided you otherwise are enjoy and are motivated to do maths and mathematical work/problem solving. If the latter isn't the case then it's probably inadvisable regardless of how well you did in GCSE. Maths (before degree level at least) is mostly about just doing lots of practice problems and past papers etc to make sure you know the processes and techniques like the back of your hand and can do the basic computational work without thinking much, so the only thinking you need to do is figuring out how to apply what you know how to do to the problem.

Oh, brilliant! So you don’t think I’d be left behind? I definitely like maths but sometimes I struggle with angles and rearranging large equations. Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by llxke
Oh, brilliant! So you don’t think I’d be left behind? I definitely like maths but sometimes I struggle with angles and rearranging large equations. Thank you :biggrin:

The rearranging equations bit might be an issue - there is a fair bit of algebra to slog through in A-level, and often you need to rearrange and simplify functions before you can do other stuff with them. As for "angles" I'm not really sure what you mean? You do need to work with angles in A-level as they're a core part of the trigonometry done in A-level (e.g. solving trigonometric equations).
maths doesn't come to me naturally but i'm in my second year of a level maths :lol::redface: it's definitely difficult for me but providing you put the work in you'll be fine!! your hard work will pay off :yes:
Reply 5
seriously bro only pick maths if you enjoy it. if you already don’t, you’re gonna ****ing hate it in A Level so make sure you actually really like it.

Quick Reply

Latest