What is significance of the Great Depression in Germany? (40)

Watch
cleobella1503
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got given this question for history homework and I need some help with points to write. It’s at Gcse level and I’m in yr11. Thanks!
HarryPetes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I never did history at GCSE or A Level, however I recall the German great depression was a significant driving factor in the fuelling of world war 2. they became fed up with the current government - ultimately resulting in Germans to believe that politics were failing them and hence they began to change their political beliefs. What Hitler promised, to the Germans seemed like a solution to the Great depression and hence many turned to Hitlers radical political stand point.
HarryPetes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm no expert🤷*♂️, but I hope that helps paint a bit of a picture...

geography all the way!
witheredhope7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cleobella1503)
I got given this question for history homework and I need some help with points to write. It’s at Gcse level and I’m in yr11. Thanks!
The Great Depression was just after the golden years- so it was a real hit to the German population as they had just enjoyed a good few years.
Hitler's main tactic was to take advantage of the circumstance (He attempted it once before with the Munich putsch when there was hyperinflation) and therefore in the great depression when the severe unemployment occurred he promised to employ them. People were tired of the Weimar republic failing them so they looked towards more radical beliefs. Also, Hitler promised the Great German Reich and to protect the rich from communists, he promised them food and in general a better future. People were angry at the "diktat" or the terms of the treaty and Hitler promised to go against the allies. On the whole, it led Hitler into power he was able to manipulate the circumstance making him Chancellor and then Fuhrer- it also meant that people weren't repelled by a man who talked of war and military tactics, as the Germans were tired of taking a punishment they didn't deserve and therefore took actions. It also inevitably led to a hostile situation with the allies and of course war, the holocaust the treaties like the nazi-soviet pact severe anti-Semitism, but on the other hand Hitler did improve unemployment, people weren't going hungry either, kids were being educated. I think you have to talk both about the negative impacts and positive impacts to have a well-balanced answer. Don't count on it though I did my GCSE'S last year so my knowledge's a little shaky, hope it helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (28)
24.35%
Unhappy (34)
29.57%
Conflicted (53)
46.09%

Watched Threads