Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

In a field where I walk my dog there live some horses. One of which has me worried. He has seriously overgrown hooves on his hind legs, and his front ones look like the overgrown bit has just snapped off, and there is a big chunk of hoof flapping off. I lifted his hoof to have a look underneath and his frog is nonexistent and the hole surface is covered in what looks like a fungal infection. It also smelt terrible (like rotting flesh). He also has awful teeth and I have picked 5 tics off him in the last month. I am really worried about him. I have spoken to the woman previously about a 6 inch gash one of her horses had that was bleeding everywhere and had pus coming out of it. She told me to shut the ! up and hurled a string of abuse at me, so I let well alone, much to my regret. Said horse died, so I fear the same may happen to this one. I can't approach her because she's a horrible, abusive woman, so I was wondering what to do.

I have a farrier coming on Monday for my horses, but I think it might be interference with property to take him along to see the horse in question. Should I call the RSPCA or leave it be? Or is there some other option. Any advice/experience is greatly appreciated.

Ta very much!

ReputationRep:
    RSPCA, this horse could end up the same as the other one. That's horrible!

ReputationRep:
    Call the RSPCA. No question :-) Perhaps get the farrier involved, but dont get involved any more yourself directly - it ould be dangerous for you if she has her horses taken from her.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you are at all worried, call the RSPCA. If you think the animals are suffering, call them as soon as you can. They will take appropriate action, including care for them and instructing the owner how to look after them.

Good old"Pet Rescue" from channel 4, years ago, taught me that!

Badger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B4DG3R)
    If you are at all worried, call the RSPCA. If you think the animals are suffering, call them as soon as you can. They will take appropriate action, including care for them and instructing the owner how to look after them.

Good old"Pet Rescue" from channel 4, years ago, taught me that!

Badger
    Pet rescue was the best...I always wanted to be an RSPCA inspector until one day on pet rescue they showed a house full of dead dogs with a single puppy still alive. I didn't want to see dead dogs, so I went for law instead

Thanks for the help so far

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, thats awful!

Please call the RSPCA. Thats so sad..that poor horse!

ReputationRep:
    RSPCA won't get involved unless the animal is suffering and doesn't have food, shelter and water I'm afraid. Does he have hay(lage), grass available? What about water? If you get your farrier in then it's possible that they won't be able to do anything because he's been cared for - stupid logic but it's the law. They might be able to put a word in the owners ear though... Get in contact with them before Monday, they should be able to advice you.

Sounds like his hooves are in a bad way - The infection is probably thrush

It might be worth going down the equine charity route rather than the RSPCA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    RSPCA won't get involved unless the animal is suffering and doesn't have food, shelter and water I'm afraid. Does he have hay(lage), grass available? What about water? If you get your farrier in then it's possible that they won't be able to do anything because he's been cared for - stupid logic but it's the law. They might be able to put a word in the owners ear though... Get in contact with them before Monday, they should be able to advice you.

Sounds like his hooves are in a bad way - The infection is probably thrush

It might be worth going down the equine charity route rather than the RSPCA.
    He has grass, no water, no hard feed. He's left in the field day and night, without rugs and without grooming. His tail is one big dreadlock. You can see every rib to a very prominent degree (a dip of about an inch between ribs) and every vertebrae of his spine- anyone looking at him can tell he's not cared for. But sadly, I think you are right. I'll have a word with a lady I know who runs a local horse sanctuary tomorrow to see what she says, given that she must have some experience. It's so sad though- I hate not being able to just wade in and take the horse over to my stables where it's nice and warm and he'll be well looked after

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you might have a decent case for the RSPCA then, poor sod Let us know what happens.

ReputationRep:
    There was a horse like that near my field onece(hoofs in v bad condition), the farrier went over and said if the owner did not allow him to sort the horse out he would get the rspca there asap, so the owner cooperated. So yeah get on to the rspca or the local horse charity asap.

ReputationRep:
    Call the RSPCA tomorrow (if they will come on a Sunday) and they'll do all that they can, if it's too bad they may have to put it down . If after the horse gets better you may be able to take it off their hands and keep it yourself (I assume they would be more than willing to let you do this Unless they have some other sort of shelter for horses? I'm not really sure how it works, but I shouldn't see why not if you have stables.)

I hope the horse is going to be ok I hate people that abuse animals, I just don't understand how they can do it sometimes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    Call the RSPCA tomorrow (if they will come on a Sunday) and they'll do all that they can, if it's too bad they may have to put it down . If after the horse gets better you may be able to take it off their hands and keep it yourself (I assume they would be more than willing to let you do this Unless they have some other sort of shelter for horses? I'm not really sure how it works, but I shouldn't see why not if you have stables.)

I hope the horse is going to be ok I hate people that abuse animals, I just don't understand how they can do it sometimes..
    It doesn't sound that bad, sounds like a case of bad thrush and mis management. Get his hooves sorted (thrush isn't too hard to get rid of, just takes some persistance), sort the tics out, feed him up. Could make someone a nice horse... Don't get the bullets out yet kid

I don't understand it either. A dog or cat being abandoned, horrible yes but I can see that you might not know how to 'get rid' if you didn't want it anymore because they're not very easily sold, but a horse? Horses are sold and bought daily, plenty of people are looking and can't find what they want, there are even more who are eager to take on projects or rehab the neglected ones. It astounds me that people just leave them and then get all defensive when they are offered help :mad: </rant>

ReputationRep:
    Tie some knifes to the side of the horse and a flashlight on it's head, then go after the ***** together.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Don't call the RSPCA for a horse case. They are useless.

Ring the ILPH (or whatever their name is now) and they will send someone out. Whatever you do, don't assume care for the horse otherwise you will only prolong what it's going through.

ReputationRep:
    ILPH!!!

Seriously, don't do anything yourself. Just give them a call and let them deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    The answer is obviously to call the appropriate authorities...I mean, why wouldn't you? more importantly, if you've already noticed all these terrible things, why haven't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Don't call the RSPCA for a horse case. They are useless.

Ring the ILPH (or whatever their name is now) and they will send someone out. Whatever you do, don't assume care for the horse otherwise you will only prolong what it's going through.
    ILPH is "World Horse Welfare" now.

OP: I agree. Iy may not be your horse but I know I couldn't personally watch an animal I knew to be suffering without doing anything at all. Call World Horse Welfare/ILPH and let them know about the situation. They'll advise you about what the next steps should be.

ReputationRep:
    RSPCA won't do anything, call the ILPH or EWW as they're the only ones that actually care, this horse is probably inches away from laminitus with his unkept feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_maK)
    The answer is obviously to call the appropriate authorities...I mean, why wouldn't you? more importantly, if you've already noticed all these terrible things, why haven't you?
    I haven't already phoned because of the woman in question. She has previously threatened to maim my own horses if I call anyone, and I can't risk my boys getting hurt. If a phone call is made, she'll assume it's me. I spoke to the lady I know from a horse sanctuary and she is going to come to my house tomorrow when the farrier is here and the two of them are going over to the field without me (so that I won't be associated with it- the woman has shot people's dogs before, even when they aren't on her property, so I am cautious about being visibly involved) to see the horse and speak to the owner to try to force her to act, or they will take action themselves. I'll let you all know what happens.

Thanks for all the help.

ReputationRep:
    oh god, she sounds awful. i agree dont let her know its you personally doing this as it seems she will get back at you.
    good luck and i hope they manage to help this poor horse, some people shouldnt be allowed to keep animals, that is shocking behaviour.

xxx

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.