The Student Room Group

Why the most of the Prime Ministers were from elite univeristies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
The UK system is not as stark as the US approach where people can donate millions of dollars to ‘retain’ a seat for little Tarquin or Olivia.

In the UK, the wealthy use a different and, sometimes, very effective approach. Let me give you an example.

Little Olivia is born to a wealthy family in Wiltshire. She attends the local private school where she receives first rate education. There she learns French, Latin and Greek. She also learns to swim and play netball. She moves on to Marlborough or Cheltenham Ladies where her skills are honed further. She is educated on how to speak with an RP accent and how to confidently express her view (whether it is right or wrong).

She studies History and Politics. Goes to Greece and Rome for History and then to the US for Politics. She receives firsthand account from her teachers who have Oxbridge degrees or PhDs in the subject, which gives her the chance to dive deep. Olivia then applies for PPE at Oxford. There she feels at home. Her interview is difficult, but stimulating. She discusses the reasons why she wants to study the subject and comfortably relates them to her own experiences and knowledge.

She gets into Oxford, joins the Oxford Union and further develops her public speaking skills and engages directly with the leading figures in politics, society, business and others. At this point, her CV is taking good shape and her overall ability is high. She completes her degree and secures a place at Westminster as a junior researcher. From there she moves to Council elections or Special Adviser to an MP and makes her name. She gets on the list and fights for an election in a safe Tory or Labour seat. She wins the election and is an MP at 32.

Now compare that to Paul who is from Bradford. He is poor and receives his education in the local school with poor facilities, limited public support and sub-standard teaching. He struggles through out and does not do well in his GCSE because he has had to work in the evenings and on the weekends in Aldi to support his parents and siblings. His grades cannot get him into a decent 6th form, so he moves to the local one. He does poorly again in his A levels and ends up at a poor uni.

At this point, the difference between Paul and Olivia is clear. If you cannot see it, then you are deluded.

I agree that insecure housing, poverty ,social anxiety, etc are huge handicaps.

This is why some Universities ( eg Cambridge ) are interested in 'distance travelled'. They understand that a candidate may have huge potential that they have not yet been able to realise. They flag up candidates who come from schools with poor examination results, candidates who have been in care etc. They want to interview as many people as possible therefore. They want to know whether a candidate can benefit from the education they will receive at Cambridge.

They will offer bursaries to students from poor backgrounds so that they do not have financial worries. They accept privately and publicly educated candidates in more or less the proportion that they apply. The huge problem is attracting candidates from Comprehensive schools the first place. This why their outreach work is so important. Ditto the work of the Sutton Trust in supporting candidates from under-privileged backgrounds.
Original post by pickup
I agree that insecure housing, poverty ,social anxiety, etc are huge handicaps.

This is why some Universities ( eg Cambridge ) are interested in 'distance travelled'. They understand that a candidate may have huge potential that they have not yet been able to realise. They flag up candidates who come from schools with poor examination results, candidates who have been in care etc. They want to interview as many people as possible therefore. They want to know whether a candidate can benefit from the education they will receive at Cambridge.

They will offer bursaries to students from poor backgrounds so that they do not have financial worries. They accept privately and publicly educated candidates in more or less the proportion that they apply. The huge problem is attracting candidates from Comprehensive schools the first place. This why their outreach work is so important. Ditto the work of the Sutton Trust in supporting candidates from under-privileged backgrounds.

I agree.

I think some people are already beyond their peers even before the reach sixth form. People assume that 3 or 4 years at Oxbridge can change a person’s life. This is true in some cases, but some of the privileged are already at a higher level than the mates in state schools.
Not true. Once you get into Oxbridge it is a level playing field and if you work hard and are personable you can break through previously closed doors
Original post by Oxford Mum
Not true. Once you get into Oxbridge it is a level playing field and if you work hard and are personable you can break through previously closed doors

but we are talking about BEFORE getting in to oxford and upper class students will clearly have the upper hand (or if you have a mum like mine who was willing to pay £15K a year for sixth form but I said no sir that's far too expensive screw that and send me to a state school. She ain't rich but you know some parents are willing to give up everything to give their child the best possible education)...
Because those reach the top are rarely the brightest but the most privileged. If it was based on academic intelligence, many politicians and officials wont be where they are today.

agreed
Original post by 1st superstar
agreed

Yeah. The elite control the system and know how to play it.
Yeah. The elite control the system and know how to play it.

it will never change unfortunately and people are wondering why i think countries like America and England are a P.O.S (i will never change my opinion I hate the West)
it will never change unfortunately and people are wondering why i think countries like America and England are a P.O.S (i will never change my opinion I hate the West)

There are countries with ****ty politics everywhere mate it's not just the UK and US of A :lol:
The idea that a student could get a place at, say, Oxford because their parents "rang the dean" is absolutely ludicrous. It takes a lot of hard work, as well as intelligence. to get a place. I personally admire anyone who can struggle through the Oxbridge admissions process and be successful. If parents paid bribes for their kids to be accepted, there would be a massive scandal and rightly so. Have you heard of any concrete examples, to confirm why you would make this accusation?

yes but if you come from an upper class background most of the "hard work" can be done for you through tutors, educational websites, being able to by tons of revision resources, knowing that you'll get a big reward for working hard (a luxury holiday or new phone) so that automatically pushes you to work hard etc... also why aren't hard working working/lower class represented in the media as much as upper and middle class students are represented. Why is it that schools focus on grades rather than improvement, for example a student going up from a Grade F to B has accomplished far more that a student going from a grade A to A* yet the student who got an A* gets more praise (certificate, ceremony, shopping voucher etc)... what does the student who got a B get? a pat on the back and a simple "Well Done!!" like come on seriously where's the justice...
Original post by Glaz
There are countries with ****ty politics everywhere mate it's not just the UK and US of A :lol:

true tbh every countries has crappy politics (other than our other fellow European countries)

The elite control their countries regardless of the country.
Because people from Oxford would less frequently use poor grammar and spelling in the question:

"Why the most of the Prime Ministers were from elite univeristies?"

That should be:

"Why IS IT THAT most Prime Ministers studied at elite UNIVERSITIES?"

Or, even using your own phrasing, the closest I can get to it with correct spelling and grammar is:

"Why are the most Prime Ministers from elite universities?"

Oxford politicians are good at English words and phrasing, generally.
Original post by username5061612
Most private schools have selection tests therefore the students they take on are academically bright from the get go.

Original post by Drewski
Do they?

Maybe to get scholarships...

Yes, they do. Not just for scholarships, but also for standard full fees entry.
yes but if you come from an upper class background most of the "hard work" can be done for you through tutors, educational websites, being able to by tons of revision resources, knowing that you'll get a big reward for working hard (a luxury holiday or new phone) so that automatically pushes you to work hard etc... also why aren't hard working working/lower class represented in the media as much as upper and middle class students are represented. Why is it that schools focus on grades rather than improvement, for example a student going up from a Grade F to B has accomplished far more that a student going from a grade A to A* yet the student who got an A* gets more praise (certificate, ceremony, shopping voucher etc)... what does the student who got a B get? a pat on the back and a simple "Well Done!!" like come on seriously where's the justice...

There is massive media attention on Oxford trying to attract more state school students. Every year tens of thousands of pounds is spent on outreach to students from under represented back grounds. For example if you are a gifted black student, Oxbridge has a scheme called Target Oxbridge, which spends £1,250 on each student to help them prepare, and rightly so. I am obsessed with this, to the point of writing a book about it and posting it for free on TSR. Plus hundreds of state school students pm me, and I am happy to reply to all their questions, no matter how random or detailed, if I am able to. It's a joy to do it, frankly. It's a myth that you need to be rich to get in.

See my link below for said book. There is also an entire chapter on schemes for state school students.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100480
Original post by starsj87
Corbyn achieved 2 "E" grades in his a levels. I don't think you can blame the rich.

Corbyn is possibly an anomaly. He was privately schooled but probably messed up his opportunity.
There is massive media attention on Oxford trying to attract more state school students. Every year tens of thousands of pounds is spent on outreach to students from under represented back grounds. For example if you are a gifted black student, Oxbridge has a scheme called Target Oxbridge, which spends £1,250 on each student to help them prepare, and rightly so. I am obsessed with this, to the point of writing a book about it and posting it for free on TSR. Plus hundreds of state school students pm me, and I am happy to reply to all their questions, no matter how random or detailed, if I am able to. It's a joy to do it, frankly. It's a myth that you need to be rich to get in.

See my link below for said book. There is also an entire chapter on schemes for state school students.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100480

and pop star Stormy is paying for underprivileged children to go to Cambridge ?
Original post by the bear
and pop star Stormy is paying for underprivileged children to go to Cambridge ?

Yessss what a superstar he is!!
At least to some extent it must be because attending elite universities generally signifies very high intelligence and good work ethic. There's no denying that there is a significant correlation between intelligence and academic success.
Corbyn is possibly an anomaly. He was privately schooled but probably messed up his opportunity.

Or perhaps he just isn't that bright? He's all heart, IMO.
Original post by RogerOxon
Or perhaps he just isn't that bright? He's all heart, IMO.

Yes, he is probably not academically bright.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending