The Student Room Group

Why the most of the Prime Ministers were from elite univeristies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
Yes, he is probably not academically bright.

It's not limited to academics ..
Original post by Sinnoh
So I think this starts at the level of secondary school and not university.

I think it starts well before secondary school. It starts with having parents (or a parent) who values education and encourages their children from the start with things as simple as bedtime stories and helping them learn to read and enjoy books and taking time to answer their questions about the world.

I do also agree with a lot of what @Wired_1800 says about the wealthy protecting their own and it not being a level playing field. I wish everyone had the same opportunites to attend excellent schools for example (primary and secondary) but they don't. Even taking private schools out of the equation, the middle class make sure their children attend decent schools even if they have to buy houses in more expensive areas to be in the right catchment or employ tutors to get them into a grammar school. And as for the truly wealthy in society, they shower their children with opportunities the rest of us can only dream of so it is more surprising than not if they don't make a success of their lives.
Original post by harrysbar
I think it starts well before secondary school. It starts with having parents (or a parent) who values education and encourages their children from the start with things as simple as bedtime stories and helping them learn to read and enjoy books and taking time to answer their questions about the world.

I do also agree with a lot of what @Wired_1800 says about the wealthy protecting their own and it not being a level playing field. I wish everyone had the same opportunites to attend excellent schools for example (primary and secondary) but they don't. Even taking private schools out of the equation, the middle class make sure their children attend decent schools even if they have to buy houses in more expensive areas to be in the right catchment or employ tutors to get them into a grammar school. And as for the truly wealthy in society, they shower their children with opportunities the rest of us can only dream of so it is more surprising than not if they don't make a success of their lives.

Agreed go tell that to @Oxford Mum
Original post by RogerOxon
It's not limited to academics ..

I think he is politically bright.

I agree. Some people don't seem to understand just how rigged the system is. They think if one works incredibly hard they can achieve the same as the elite. This is not really true.
Original post by 1st superstar
Agreed go tell that to @Oxford Mum

OM is all about trying to help state school pupils enjoy better access to elite unis, which I am all for so we are broadly in agreement. We won't ever change society just by complaining about it so we need people like her who are more optimistic than I am about the world and more prepared to do something about it.

I do think society is very gradually becoming more fluid and top unis are doing their bit finally to attract more state pupils and give contextualised offers to those who need them. But it would be naive to think we have the same opportunities in life and that success or failure is all down to luck or personality.
I think he is politically bright.

Again, being bright isn't limited to one area. I wouldn't class him as intelligent, but I also wouldn't vote for him (or Boris, before anyone asks). He'd be a good person to have as a friend, just not a problem solver, IMO.
Original post by the bear
and pop star Stormy is paying for underprivileged children to go to Cambridge ?

Original post by Oxford Mum
Yessss what a superstar he is!!

No, he isn't.

The problem is that the eligibility criteria (here) don't even mention underprivileged - they focus on race. They do rank applicants on income and school, but, the main requirement is being black. That is racist.
(edited 4 years ago)
Again, being bright isn't limited to one area. I wouldn't class him as intelligent, but I also wouldn't vote for him (or Boris, before anyone asks). He'd be a good person to have as a friend, just not a problem solver, IMO.

How do you know he is not a problem solver? He has not even entered the Government yet.
Majority came from rich families who got privately educated e.g. Eton.
MPs didn't pay for their degrees.
How do you know he is not a problem solver? He has not even entered the Government yet.

His policies are problem creators. I don't think that he's bright enough to solve difficult problems. He seems a nice guy, just not very bright.
His policies are problem creators. I don't think that he's bright enough to solve difficult problems. He seems a nice guy, just not very bright.

He is one man. The Party are full of problem solvers. He has a strong team as well IMHO,
He is one man. The Party are full of problem solvers. He has a strong team as well IMHO,

IMO, the team would, all other things being equal, be better served by a more intelligent leader, It is a significant weakness.

So a leader should just be a yes man agreeing to everyone blindly?
IMO, the team would, all other things being equal, be better served by a more intelligent leader, It is a significant weakness.

Then you vote the Party in and push for a change in leadership. You don't vote for another Party that you disagree with their policies.
Original post by Drewski
So a leader should just be a yes man agreeing to everyone blindly?

No, not really, but a leader should not be a dictator. A leader has to be part of a team working with that team. Boris Johnson kicked out all those who disagreed with him and made all candidates vote to support his policies to be selected.

The Government is not made of one man or woman. It is a collective.
Then you vote the Party in and push for a change in leadership. You don't vote for another Party that you disagree with their policies.

There is, unfortunately, no party that has a set of policies that I agree with.

Labour has had intelligent leaders, e.g. Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Harold Wilson. Corbyn is a disappointment, IMO.
No, not really, but a leader should not be a dictator. A leader has to be part of a team working with that team. Boris Johnson kicked out all those who disagreed with him and made all candidates vote to support his policies to be selected.

The Government is not made of one man or woman. It is a collective.

Whilst I take your point, policy by committee really doesn't work.
OM is all about trying to help state school pupils enjoy better access to elite unis, which I am all for so we are broadly in agreement. We won't ever change society just by complaining about it so we need people like her who are more optimistic than I am about the world and more prepared to do something about it.

I do think society is very gradually becoming more fluid and top unis are doing their bit finally to attract more state pupils and give contextualised offers to those who need them. But it would be naive to think we have the same opportunities in life and that success or failure is all down to luck or personality.

Agreed
Whilst I take your point, policy by committee really doesn't work.

True, I agree with that point. However, I’d rather have Corbyn’s style of collective governance than Johnson’s style of dictatorial governance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending