Turn on thread page Beta

:confused: Please keep anon, I don't know whats wrong with me but its as though I don't treat life seriously enough and play games with myself. When I was at uni I changed courses 3 times before quiting and then I went to college and quit due to panic attacks. I think I got bored and the anxiety subconciously came on or something I have an exam on monday at second year degree level and have not revised AT ALL and am not worried, I think to myself well if I fail I can always resit so I'l just see what I can get and test myself. I don't get anxious over life yet Ive had panic attacks in the past. Its as though life is not real to me and everything will be ok anyway as long as I have save up money. Maybe because I still live with parents at 22 but I do feel pressure of having to move out due to my age, thats it.

ReputationRep:
    I bet you're so laid back you're on the floor. You sound like a fun person though. You hafta get serious sometime, especially with the uni degree, y'know what I'm sayin'?

I mean I'm usually very laid back but when it comes to the serious stuff (Education, Women, TSR), I'm very serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)

on the topic of living with your parents. i've heard of plenty of people doing this at ages around 25, so i wouldnt worry about it. ok its not a sign of great maturity or independence perhaps, but perhaps financial matters arent favourable, or its just easier to live with parents than have to find your own place, set it all up and become financially independent. this i wouldnt worry about
    Why? I know quite a few people who moved back home due to income or situations that meant it would be difficult to find somewhere on their own(mainly money though)

Its more common than you think id say and many are very mature.

ReputationRep:
    "There are many ways to fail, but only one way to suceed"

It seems like your searching for that way, many people take decades, don't feel to bad on yourself, I know of plenty 30 year olds starting out on degrees, so you've got ages.

Maybe go to a careers advice place, check out some uni websites for courses you'd like to do, and go see a doctor about panic attacks, you might have something wrong with you.

good luck my friend

ReputationRep:
    You should get a grip on the academic stuff, cos that's important...

(Original post by jaydoh)
    You should get a grip on the academic stuff, cos that's important...
    It doesn't feel important to me though, lots of people have done a psychology degree and it has not got them anywhere. Also plenty of people without degrees have good jobs and are doing fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It doesn't feel important to me though, lots of people have done a psychology degree and it has not got them anywhere. Also plenty of people without degrees have good jobs and are doing fine.
    Yeah but a lot of non-graduate jobs might pay well, but would you really want to do them forever? I mean, a binman probably pays better than the average archaeologist, but..

(Original post by Constante)
    Yeah but a lot of non-graduate jobs might pay well, but would you really want to do them forever? I mean, a binman probably pays better than the average archaeologist, but..
    What graduate jobs are there for most degrees though? If the non graduate jobs were harder and less interesting I could understand but Ive never undertood the real benefits of having a degree maybe I need to do more research into it. I want a degree (its something to be proud of and makes you more knowledgable) but don't really see how a psychology degree will benefit me.

ReputationRep:

I feel exactly the same. So I can't really help, I just agree.

Maybe you have the panic attacks because you realise, at least a little, that you should be caring? I end up not revising at all for exams, and do badly. But before them, my teachers always assume that I'm going to do very well because I'm a good classroom student, which creates a lot of guilt.

Also, any chance your parents don't view education highly? Like, they've gotten through life fine without degrees? Because mine sure think that way, and I'm beginning to think now that that's why I feel that way too.

(Original post by GHOSH-5)
    'maturity' probs wasnt the right word, but i understand what you mean, and many people do live with their parents at these ages. im not denying that at all.
    Yea I know a 27 year old who lives with her dad still but then she did go to america on her own for a year so I can't compare to her lol.

(Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    I feel exactly the same. So I can't really help, I just agree.

Maybe you have the panic attacks because you realise, at least a little, that you should be caring? I end up not revising at all for exams, and do badly. But before them, my teachers always assume that I'm going to do very well because I'm a good classroom student, which creates a lot of guilt.

Also, any chance your parents don't view education highly? Like, they've gotten through life fine without degrees? Because mine sure think that way, and I'm beginning to think now that that's why I feel that way too.
    Hm not really my mum had a degree when she was 21 and says its the only way to get a good job etc but I look around at people who didn't get A levels, have jobs with NVQ's etc and they are doing very well and have houses of their own and decent cars. As for the panic attacks they started after I collapsed once and I kept getting scared of it happening again and the thought of going dizzy and being disoreintated (sp). The only things that make me anxious really are illness and internal elements, as stupid as that sounds. External things like exams, presentations, meeting new people Im confident , even though Im shy I don't get anxious because of it. Lol its weird I don't understand myself most of the time its like life's not real.

ReputationRep:
    Lol its weird I don't understand myself most of the time its like life's not real.
    Hah, yeah, I get that a lot.
    Recently I was just listening to some random song, thinking about exams and jobs for life. Then I just suddenly started laughing and couldn't stop, like a psychopath.

Ahh, this is like therapy.

:woo: Weirdos. :woo:

lol that sound quite normal daydreaming when listening to music

hm psychopaths are said to lack empathy etc maybe Im one of those, if I killed someone Id only feel sorry for myself not the person, I was never upset when my grandparents died either. The only time I cried was when I watched that dog movie my dog skip. Then again Im female its usually males who are psychopaths.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think theres anything wrong with being laid back, so long as you arent to the degree that it affects your future, in the way that you dropped out of uni (maybe it wasnt right for you, but if u did because you were just too lazy then that kinda sucks!). Like other people have said, you having panic attacks gives the impression you arent very laid back..

ReputationRep:
    i think this speaks volumes.
    if you don't feel the need for a degree and would be happy with a job that doesn't require a degree, have no urge to study and learn, then all you are doing is wasting your time and your money at uni. Are your parents insisting your study? Is it really from your own choices that you have chosen this academic road? From all you say, switching degrees and so on, not studying, it seem you have no drive to learn and don't even see the point.

My advice is to think hard about this and work out if you want to study, or if others want you to study.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think OP even wants our help. We'd all advise you to take your studies seriously and see someone about your panic attacks. Obviously you'll get better jobs with a degree than without, if you're seriously debating that then yes, you are too "laid back".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.