Turn on thread page Beta

Graduates or PG's: How long is your CV? watch

• View Poll Results: What is the length of your CV?
    1 Page
    27.27%
    2 Pages
    61.82%
    3 Pages
    5.45%
    More than 3 Pages
    5.45%

(Original post by BlackHawk)
    Nah, bin the first page. People use fill it up with all their personal details, in depth analysis of their school results and what they had for dinner last night.
    If they are that stupid, I know I don't want to hire because of the first page.

Still, I had an 18 page CV from a school leaver once.
    Be tempted to write back to the person and give them some free advice...

ReputationRep:
    Two pages is standard, one page doesnt give the employers anything detail about you unless ur bullet pointing everything without giving a summary of the skills u developed from that position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartofengland)
    Two pages is standard, one page doesnt give the employers anything detail about you unless ur bullet pointing everything without giving a summary of the skills u developed from that position.
    No. One page is normal for a new graduate or someone in very early career. Two pages is the norm for those in mid-career.

Or just one page... forever. The depreciation rate on things done 5 years ago is very high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No. One page is normal for a new graduate or someone in very early career. Two pages is the norm for those in mid-career.
    well i am a new graduate and everthing on my cv is only from the last 3 years and i havent listed any modules etc like some do, and still i could never fit it all on one page as its quite direct as it is. Also my experiences listed are all relevant and not mickey mouse i.e. sports positions, society positions, last 2 jobs, and other impressive activities like peer mentoring, work with SIFE, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Or just one page... forever. The depreciation rate on things done 5 years ago is very high.
    Hey i read on the jobs thread that u are a derivatives trader, and was wondering which bank u were at? Is there any chance u could give me a contact at someone frm your bank who i could email my cv/cover letter to, in search of an internship/work experience etc? cheers

Hey i read on the jobs thread that u are a derivatives trader
    Yes.

and was wondering which bank u were at? Is there any chance u could give me a contact at someone frm your bank who i could email my cv/cover letter to, in search of an internship/work experience etc? cheers
    NDA. No.

well i am a new graduate and everthing on my cv is only from the last 3 years and i havent listed any modules etc like some do, and still i could never fit it all on one page as its quite direct as it is. Also my experiences listed are all relevant and not mickey mouse i.e. sports positions, society positions, last 2 jobs, and other impressive activities like peer mentoring, work with SIFE, etc
    I'm pretty sure there is plenty in there that you could chop. Trust me. I've seen the CVs of outstanding and brilliant people from all over the place - and they fit it onto a page.

If you're that special, you'll make your point in a page.

ReputationRep:
    you work for Nordea Bank AB (NDA)?

ReputationRep:
    Mine is 3...Oooooh

you work for Nordea Bank AB (NDA)?
    Oh dear You're a slow one aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps your idea of what is impressive and necessary isn't the same as mine, but a new graduate is not doing a good job in writing a two page CV.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear You're a slow one aren't you?
    ah right u wont disclose haha..pm me then if u have contacts? Im guessing DB, UBS or Myrl Lynch.

ReputationRep:
    He already said he wouldn't. And you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, when I first came on here and saw the "one page" rule I was like, "DAMN, how on earth do I get it onto one?!?!?" but now I think I'll be able to do it without cutting much out. And I've had six jobs, was captain of two teams at uni, JCR treasurer, marketing manager of student radio section, etc etc. So it's doable, definitely.

(Original post by Jelkin)
    Actually, when I first came on here and saw the "one page" rule I was like, "DAMN, how on earth do I get it onto one?!?!?" but now I think I'll be able to do it without cutting much out. And I've had six jobs, was captain of two teams at uni, JCR treasurer, marketing manager of student radio section, etc etc. So it's doable, definitely.
    The funniest thing is when I am given a CV that is padded out in order to fit to one page

ReputationRep:
    The funniest thing is when I am given a CV that is padded out in order to fit to one page
    Hah, you made the face, but really I bet you laugh cruelly and make a little paper doll out of it which you then systematically destroy.

EDIT: Whilst imitating the candidate's high-pitched squeals of pain.

Hah, you made the face, but really I bet you laugh cruelly and make a little paper doll out of it which you then systematically destroy.

EDIT: Whilst imitating the candidate's high-pitched squeals of pain.
    A CV that is bare, is just sad.

The only CV I'd purposefully hate on is one littered with mistakes. Quite a few desks in some of the banks keep some of the funniest application forms that they receive.

ReputationRep:
    A CV that is bare, is just sad.

The only CV I'd purposefully hate on is one littered with mistakes. Quite a few desks in some of the banks keep some of the funniest application forms that they receive.
    Oh, I see. The represented the CV itself. I wonder what mine would be ... :yep: ? :woo: ? Maybe :unsure:. Or :tumble:. Okay, maybe I should stop before I get carried away.

Someone I know works at a pub where a girl applied who had worked in a meat packing factory, in the boning room. Seriously. Maybe it was a joke application? ...

Someone I know works at a pub where a girl applied who had worked in a meat packing factory, in the boning room. Seriously. Maybe it was a joke application? ...

I've heard people mention the theory that female applicants who make their CVs slightly saucy, do peak real interest in some people.

Send that CV to enough pubs and I'm sure someone will hire as a result of that...

NLP for the win...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.